Perhaps The Neatest Vaping Power Supply Mod Ever

mcquinn

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=184 A person can calculate and change the value of the resister that makes 3.3 ,volts so that this outfit switches 3.7,5 or variable voltage from 3.7 to a half a volt less than the power supply/wall wart you hook it up with.If you made it to plug into lighter socket in a car the max voltage would be 11 1/2 ,with a 9 volt wall wart 8 1/2 .I just ordered one today and will keep you posted."•MIC2941 regulator has guaranteed 1.25A output" should be sufficient.

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=184 A person can calculate and change the value of the resister that makes 3.3 ,volts so that this outfit switches 3.7,5 or variable voltage from 3.7 to a half a volt less than the power supply/wall wart you hook it up with.If you made it to plug into lighter socket in a car the max voltage would be 11 1/2 ,with a 9 volt wall wart 8 1/2 .I just ordered one today and will keep you posted."•MIC2941 regulator has guaranteed 1.25A output" should be sufficient.

???? As a Joye 510 user that means the best I could hope from it is 2.75V. It won't even fire the atty. It doesn't matter what the input voltage is. You also don't want to be pushing a regulator full tilt at it's max rating all the time, lotsa heat, poor longevity.

The TI UCC283 and 383 adjustables are 3A devices, they also have very low dropout, 0.5V, and will usually be running at about 2/3 of their max rating.

I am not sure how you figure that.Most of the 110 volt to 5 volt power supplies we use on our passthoughs are rated at 1 amp and your compter usb port less than an amp ,this one will deliver 1.25 amps and the voltge is adjustable from 1.50 to a half a volt less than the amount you put in.So if you use a 9 volt power supply you would get up to 8.5 volts at 1.25 amps on the adjustable setting.Your stock batteries including the Ego are current regulated to a value less than 1 amp and so are the protected mod batteries.I like the fact that with this one once I replace the fixed resister that makes 3.3 volts to one that will pass 3.7 volts I will be able to easily switch between 3.7 and 5 volts and with a meter on the adjustable setting I can dial any voltage in up to and including atty blowing voltages.When you run ohms law with your measured resistance of your atty and your applied voltage the number you come up with is how many amps could flow through the circutnot how many are .You would have to insert an ampmeter in the circut to measure what you are actually getting from the regulated ,protected batteries.A 900mAh 3.7 volt battery would not last all day at 3 amps I am pretty sure.You are correct that the other regulator would flow more current and it could be substituted in this circut I suppose.I picked this as with the exception of the resistor change to get 3.7 fixed all the parts are in a kit with the etched circut board all for $15.00 from one place.

Edited by mcquinn

I am not sure how you figure that.Most of the 110 volt to 5 volt power supplies we use on our passthoughs are rated at 1 amp and your compter usb port less than an amp ,this one will deliver 1.25 amps and the voltge is adjustable from 1.50 to a half a volt less than the amount you put in.So if you use a 9 volt power supply you would get up to 8.5 volts at 1.25 amps on the adjustable setting.Your stock batteries including the Ego are current regulated to a value less than 1 amp and so are the protected mod batteries.I like the fact that with this one once I replace the fixed resister that makes 3.3 volts to one that will pass 3.7 volts I will be able to easily switch between 3.7 and 5 volts and with a meter on the adjustable setting I can dial any voltage in up to and including atty blowing voltages.When you run ohms law with your measured resistance of your atty and your applied voltage the number you come up with is how many amps could flow through the circutnot how many are .You would have to insert an ampmeter in the circut to measure what you are actually getting from the regulated ,protected batteries.A 900mAh 3.7 volt battery would not last all day at 3 amps I am pretty sure.You are correct that the other regulator would flow more current and it could be substituted in this circut I suppose.I picked this as with the exception of the resistor change to get 3.7 fixed all the parts are in a kit with the etched circut board all for $15.00 from one place.

Don't try to compare it to other devices that don't work properly either, you have to do the math. A 3.7v device (such as an eGo) divided by a 510 atty (2.2ohms) will draw 1.68amps, so if the device can't deliver that much current then the voltage will sag down. A 5v device (such as a passthrough) divided by a 510 atty (2.2ohms) will draw 2.27amps, so a 1amp adapter will sag way down and what you are vaping on is more like 4v.

I guess for me I am happy with the vape from a stock 801 battery so this should allow me to use my home made passthroughs with some to spare .I have not been able to use them so far because I don't care for the way they vape at 5 volts .I suppose it is a personal taste thing .

Got my kit ,easy to build clear instructions on web site.I figure I will need to change the 3.3 volt resistor to a 13.0 K ohm to get 3.7 volts fixed so I left that resistor out until I can get the other one.Haven't hooked up usb cord to it yet to see how it vapes.I am using a 16 volt power supply I had in my junk box ,it is rated at 3 amps .

Well I ended up not changing the resistor as shipping for a $0.15 part is a little on the high side.I will have to wait until I order something else.So I adjusted the adustable voltage to 3.7 and have the fixed 5 and 14.5 on the position where the resistor will go.Works real well I mounted it in a small plastic case with a usb port epoxied in . http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/gallery/image/692-power-supply/

Edited by mcquinn

Well I ended up not changing the resistor as shipping for a $0.15 part is a little on the high side.I will have to wait until I order something else.So I adjusted the adustable voltage to 3.7 and have the fixed 5 and 14.5 on the position where the resistor will go.Works real well I mounted it in a small plastic case with a usb port epoxied in . http://www.vaportalk...2-power-supply/

Glad it works! Looks cool.

Edited by Brian

I did find out you want to use a transformer that puts out close to the voltage you intend to use ,I started with a 16 volt one and the heat sink really got hot scrubbing off so much voltage.I switched to a 5 volt one as I am using it at 3.7 volts and it stays nice and cool now.I would recomend hooking up a set of screw terminals if you intend to play with the variable voltage so you have a better place to hook your meter to.I think this is a good investment for those of us who like 3.7 volts as the passthroughs with the battery are getting hard to find these days.I prefer the Janty Kissbox as I use mostly 302/801 atties and they are $28.90 a pop not including the switch.