New Yorkers Set To Pay $11 Per Pack For Regular Cigarettes

Just found a great article on NPR about New York adding a new tax as of today (July 1) that will increase the price of a regular pack of cigarettes to around $11. http://tinyurl.com/27mmq7m

It amazes me that the state of New York is attacking smokers to help balance their budget. Glad I don't live in New York and extra glad I switched to electronic cigarettes. No way would I pay $11 for a pack of cigarettes. Anyone else know about this?

Does anyone else see a chain of events here. First go after a ban on e-cigs, then raise the tax on analog cigs to a ridiculous rate. Sounds like someone in New york has a hidden agenda.

that's not a hidden agenda. that is a vicious back hand to the face of America.

the government sure does like to keep that pimp hand strong.

if there weren't ecigs, i would throw down like the Boston tea party.

our founding fathers over threw their government for the same things that are currently happing, as far as corruption, agendas, taxes, etc.

It amazes me that the state of New York is attacking smokers to help balance their budget.

I live in Jersey, been in the news for a little bit. Beauty of a sin tax is no one can say bad things about it. They know they will get more money, they are COUNTING on it. But when pressed, they are doing it to try and help you quit. Plus many folks care not for smokers so better them then us is the mantra.

I live in Jersey, been in the news for a little bit. Beauty of a sin tax is no one can say bad things about it. They know they will get more money, they are COUNTING on it. But when pressed, they are doing it to try and help you quit. Plus many folks care not for smokers so better them then us is the mantra.

I grew up in Jersey and one of the reason I left the area was because of the politics. Jersey/New york politicians always seem to act like they are trying to help the people but usually are doing things just to line their pockets with money. I'm know you're going to say they aren't all like that and I agree. There are some out there that truly look out for the people but it seems like they are the minority and not the majority in NJ/NY. An example is http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/nj_corruption_probe_full_list.html. Half of North Jersey was involved in corruption trying to make themselves money. I just wonder how much of that cigarette tax will go to help the people and not to line the fat cat politicians pockets. I'm in no way up on politics in Jersey/New york anymore but I'd bet New york politicians aren't going to cut their salaries to help balance the budget. :innocent:

I do understand your point though that increasing the price might help some people quit. Although I'll bet if you took a poll of people in New York (who are probably struggling to make ends meet) will tell you they'll just have to find a way to pay for it. Why don't the politicians find a way to help these people quit smoking instead of making them pay for the states short comings. I'm sure not a penny of that tax will go toward programs to help smokers quit.

Just my two cents (for what it's worth) :D

Hi, I feel compelled to add to this thread as a resident of NYS and NYC. Smokers are, I've used the word elsewhere in this forum, "pariahs" in our culture. Definition of a pariah: "an outcast, any person or animal that is generally despised or avoided". And while medical evidence has accumulated over a generation that supports the harmful effects of smoking, think of the thousand other ways one can cause harm to themselves and possibly others. The people of New York should be outrageously outraged at the flagrant abuse of power perpetrated on a person's personal choice to smoke tobacco. E-cigs are and will continue to come under attack because politicos will have to find a way to vilify, tax and regulate the industry. It sucks, but we will continue to fill the coffers of greedy people until we say enough is enough. Wow, did I say that?

Hi, I feel compelled to add to this thread as a resident of NYS and NYC. Smokers are, I've used the word elsewhere in this forum, "pariahs" in our culture. Definition of a pariah: "an outcast, any person or animal that is generally despised or avoided". And while medical evidence has accumulated over a generation that supports the harmful effects of smoking, think of the thousand other ways one can cause harm to themselves and possibly others. The people of New York should be outrageously outraged at the flagrant abuse of power perpetrated on a person's personal choice to smoke tobacco. E-cigs are and will continue to come under attack because politicos will have to find a way to vilify, tax and regulate the industry. It sucks, but we will continue to fill the coffers of greedy people until we say enough is enough. Wow, did I say that?

:unworthy: All that is inexplicably true. I do not like the idea here in NJ that we have to vape outside with the smokers because of the stupid ban they passed back in November. Sadly, this is all just a grandmaster plan to keep cigarettes as a main source of income from the people, despite the negative risks it has that imposes on our health. Without cigarettes, the govs out there would suffer without the millions of dollars from the smokers and smokers that are now sick from the analogs. I personally think that e cigs will always receive stigmata from politics until something breaks eventually. I just hope that someday...I could vape again in a taco bell without worrying about the law...or the weather at least

• 1 month later...

Truly-Madly-Deeply....and it ain't about Luuvvvn it! I live in Central N.Y. and Generics in the city stores are $8. and change. Luckily my Great Mother's and Father's before me walked these hills long before these greedy suit and tie guyz! They have absolutely shot themselves in the foot and arse if you ask me, taxes are up, sales(N.Y.) are down and we have more smokers than ever lol you do that math.

My Great Mother's didn't have much use for "Statehood" or their deceptive ways. Prohibition led to rum & shine runners' and so to has this tax. If anything they increased the criminal element by providing a need yet again and the cost to tax payers for future health issues will be horrid.

The Indian Giver was NOT the Indian....when you come to a mountain, go around or go over but Go!

Just found a great article on NPR about New York adding a new tax as of today (July 1) that will increase the price of a regular pack of cigarettes to around $11. http://tinyurl.com/27mmq7m

It amazes me that the state of New York is attacking smokers to help balance their budget.... Anyone else know about this?