TV Shows & Movies Online

I only watch t.v. on the laptop when I'm going to sleep because it's just to noisy any other time. So I figured I would share my two favorite sites for t.v and movie viewing with you. The first is hulu.com and I'm sure you have already heard of it and the second that I found the other day is crackle.com. Maybe you guys will get a use out of these!

Never heard of Crackle but I'll check it out. Hulu is great but the only issue I have with them is the selection, I'm sure it will grow in time but they tend to put the crappy stuff up. I wished ABC would work with them and start uploading episodes of Grey Anatomy etc

Oh and by the way we actually have a video site, it's hidden though and very much in it's BETA stage. Fast Food Pranks and Vapor Talk Videos

It's a huge script and will have all of the video review sean and I have created along with our shows. It's also ready for members to upload their own videos the only problem is bandwidth. If I open it up to the world I'm worried my bandwidth and CPU usage will go through the roof. I'll end up having to run multiple dedicated servers.

Never heard of Crackle but I'll check it out. Hulu is great but the only issue I have with them is the selection, I'm sure it will grow in time but they tend to put the crappy stuff up. I wished ABC would work with them and start uploading episodes of Grey Anatomy etc

ABC.com has a lot of there shows availble to stream on their website. 

Love Hulu, discovered it way back before they started their TV ads. Will check out crackle.

Otherwise, we have a netflix account which totally did away with our premium cable movie channels. We get the disks sometimes, but often just stream the movie right off the web (I have our 50" plasma hard-wired to the puter, so we can toss the browser window right up there and open it to wide screen... very nuvo millennium).

Here's a shot of my studio as of a few months ago (it's grown since then):

page10_1.jpg

Edited by StringDancer

I have used Crackle, but their selection seems kind of random and a bit small.

Very true. The best thing about them is they have some movies that are in HD. Hulu had a few shows in HD but last time I looked they had 1 and that was it.

I'm not sure about CPU but I pay 9.99 a month for unlimited bandwidth and (add on) domains.

It's really not the bandwidth so much that's an issue. It's the CPU. Your on a shared platform, if you login into CPANEL and check CPU usage, it's probably around 1.0 or so if not lower. This is because there is usually only about 2-10 queries against the Database when running a forum. Most servers can handle that (so long as the member base is less then 2,000 or so) As soon as you starting using video scripts, the server has to convert all videos that the members upload to flash, which takes serious CPU usage then times that by a few hundred members, plus guests watching the videos and you'll have the CPU police from you hosting company knocking on the door. You'll crash the server along with anyone else using it. Your hosting company will force you over to a VPS or Dedicated which can get pricey

I got ya, most of the time I don't think before I post. :o I had looked into making a video site at one time and knew I didn't have the money to make it work if it even became somewhat successful. I don't have the 200.00 (ish) a month for a dedicated server.

Well I know Cirtex is really good about video hosting, problem is there servers either go down once a week, or it's just overall slow. They oversell there servers like crazy. WAY to many people on one box. But they seem to allow more CPU usage

There is a guy here in Missouri that has a website called KidsTube.com. I can't remember the name of the software but found it at one time. He has to be using a crap ton of bandwidth and cpu. I've been watching the site and it's growing fast. You could always find out who his host is.

There is a guy here in Missouri that has a website called KidsTube.com. I can't remember the name of the software but found it at one time. He has to be using a crap ton of bandwidth and cpu. I've been watching the site and it's growing fast. You could always find out who his host is.

Looks like he is hosting with Wiresix.com and looking at his site stats, he's getting traffic, but not that much. Good name, if he keeps up the good work that site could really take off in a few years.

Looks like he is hosting with Wiresix.com and looking at his site stats, he's getting traffic, but not that much. Good name, if he keeps up the good work that site could really take off in a few years.

I'm interested where you got that info from (nice to have handy). I didn't see anywhere that would give a hint as to who his host is. I checked out alexa and I didn't think he was doing bad. I don't think he has been promoting it that long and he doesn't have the big budget like youtube. I would be happy to have my site doing as good as his. At any rate, I wish him luck!

I think we derailed the thread. :o

Just streamed some stuff from netflix, a BBC mini-serial based on Neil Gaiman novel called Neverwhere. The netflix streaming library has grown by leaps and bounds since I last used it. I don't have the best speeds in the world, but it seemed fairly satisfactory.