Usb Hubs For 5 Volt Passthrough

I recently got a USB Passthrough for my Joye 510 which i love by the way. But i dont wanna connect it to my alienware laptop so does it matter which USB Hub i use for my 510? Does it need a certain amperage or not? I feel dumb for asking but i dont wanna buy something that will just fry when i plug my e-cig in.

I forgot the mention that it is the direct 5 volt passthrough from electronicstix.com with no inline battery.

I recently got a USB Passthrough for my Joye 510 which i love by the way. But i dont wanna connect it to my alienware laptop so does it matter which USB Hub i use for my 510? Does it need a certain amperage or not? I feel dumb for asking but i dont wanna buy something that will just fry when i plug my e-cig in.

Usually the problem is not having enough amperage. :) You will want 5V - 2A.

If you don't want to plug into your comp, you can always get an adapter to plug into a wall outlet.

You can get one here: http://www.vaprlife.com/noname.html for 10 bucks.

Unless you really want a USB hub, I would suggest simply purchasing an AC to USB wall adapter, look for one that is around 2 Amps, that's what ships with the VP Passthrough.

Edit: Awwwww.... and JeffB beats me too it while he's on "vacation"!

Edited by GDub

Unless you really want a USB hub, I would suggest simply purchasing an AC to USB wall adapter, look for one that is around 2 Amps, that's what ships with the VP Passthrough.

Edit: Awwwww.... and JeffB beats me too it while he's on "vacation"!

I do have a AC to USB wall adapter with the 5 volts 2 amps ratings. But im not always near an outlet to plug into. It's not something i need right now but at some point i would like to have one. Are all usb hubs pretty much the same ratings?

I do have a AC to USB wall adapter with the 5 volts 2 amps ratings. But im not always near an outlet to plug into. It's not something i need right now but at some point i would like to have one. Are all usb hubs pretty much the same ratings?

If you're using a hub you want a powered one to my understanding. Either way you need to be near an outlet. Otherwise might as well just plug it in direct to the PC.

The issue I think most people have that pushes them to buy a powered hub is that not all USB ports actually pass a full 5V at the correct current needed for these devices, so they use a powered hub to bump it up.

Edited by GDub

If you're using a hub you want a powered one to my understanding. Either way you need to be near an outlet. Otherwise might as well just plug it in direct to the PC.

The issue I think most people have that pushes them to buy a powered hub is that not all USB ports actually pass a full 5V at the correct current needed for these devices, so they use a powered hub to bump it up.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you both of you for the quick response's. Im just gonna stick to the wall adaptor. How long have you guys been vaping?

Ok that makes sense. Thank you both of you for the quick response's. Im just gonna stick to the wall adaptor. How long have you guys been vaping?

How would i even test the USB port to see if its doing the 5 volts? There is suppose to be a protection circuit in the passthrough according to electronicstix.com but has anyone ever tests to prove it does work?

How would i even test the USB port to see if its doing the 5 volts? There is suppose to be a protection circuit in the passthrough according to electronicstix.com but has anyone ever tests to prove it does work?

I'll be honest and say I have never had the guts to try it on my PCs. It's just not worth the risk to me.

I have been vaping since October 09. I haven't had an analog since. :thumbsup:

I'll be honest and say I have never had the guts to try it on my PCs. It's just not worth the risk to me.

Yeah i dont have the guts either but someone i would think should have tested it...then again maybe not. Who knows?????

I have been vaping since October 09. I haven't had an analog since. :thumbsup:

way to go jeffb keep up the vaping! Besides it tastes and smells way better.

From my understanding the USB delivers a little over 4 volts. I'm sure one of the comp geeks on here know the exact voltage.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you will find a powered USB hub that will cost you less than the $10 you will pay for a 2amp AC adapter. Just buy one and plug it in next to your computer. Then you will still have the option of moving it somewhere else easily. And, if I had the money back that I spent on 1.5amp adapters trying to get one that really worked for less than $10, I think I would have two 2amp adapters.