Researchers Demonstrate That "safe" Cigarettes Are As Hazardous As Tobacco

My cousin forwarded me this. What do you guys/gals think of it?

RESEARCHERS DEMONSTRATE THAT "SAFE" CIGARETTES ARE AS HAZARDOUS AS TOBACCO

Valhalla, N.Y., May 12, 2010-Using the same technique they developed to document the harmful effects of tobacco products, New York Medical College researchers have found that cigarettes made without tobacco or nicotine may be more carcinogenic because they actually induce more extensive DNA damage than tobacco products. The technique has been awarded U.S. patent No. 7,662,565.

The research team is led by Zbigniew Darzynkiewicz, M.D., Ph.D., professor of pathology. Their study, "DNA damage response induced by exposure of human lung adenocarcinoma cells to smoke from tobacco- and nicotine-free cigarettes," will appear in the June 1 issue of Cell Cycle (Volume 9, Issue 11).

Using laser scanning cytometry (LSC) technology to measure DNA damage response to the smoke from commercially available tobacco- and nicotine-free cigarettes, the research team expected to find the alternative products were less hazardous than regular tobacco cigarettes. However, their data suggest that exposure of cells to smoke from tobacco- and nicotine-free cigarettes leads to formation of double-strand DNA breaks (DSBs). Since DSBs are potentially carcinogenic, the data indicate that smoking tobacco- and nicotine-free cigarettes is at least as hazardous as those containing tobacco and nicotine.

The authors conclude that their methodology to assess the potential carcinogenic properties of tobacco smoke, based on measurement of DNA damage response as assessed by LSC, provides a useful addition to the battery of genotoxic tests for probing cigarette smoke hazards. Such tests, which can be applied to evaluate the effects of cigarettes and cigarette surrogate products on human health, can be important tools for regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration or, in the case of environmental smoke, by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The open-access article is available at http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/cc/article/JorgensenCC9-11.pdf.

Am I mistaken, or is it just referring to non-tobacco and non-nicotine cigarettes... meaning you still have something burning and you are still inhaling smoke from a burning substance... real smoke - not vapor.

These are still smoking products that are burned and inhaled.I dont see how this aply's to us!!!It is somewhat misleading in the tittle as to cover other things as well but it does not include vaping or E-smoking.

Gosh you guys, I wanted to be the one to say, "But yeah, it's smoke!" But you guys blew it for me. I'm very disappointed in you all right now. But at least you got it right. Still, I wanted to say it! :(

:D

Jeez, get a grip you guys! :D Just kidding!

Anyone who inhales burning stuff is just asking for lung damage. (Sigh.)

I've been saying it from the day my lungs started clearing up...I can't believe I used to light something on fire and then actually breathe the smoke in!!!

Cme on guys, you know you want one:

http://nicotinefreecigarettes.com/

Edited by FTJoe

Cme on guys, you know you want one:

http://nicotinefreecigarettes.com/

OMG!! I saw the video on the bottom left, didn't even watch it, but now I'm remembering the smell of my hands! Just that still shot of the guy with that cig butt so close to his fingers.... I realized that my hands are no longer "molting" from washing the stink off so much. My hands used to be soooo dry! Yet another benefit of vaping, no more ashtray fingers! :thumbsup:

I've seen those adds before and thought it was such a crock.

You're still smoking just no nic...so where's the advantage to that.

Thank you for E-Cigs!!!!