Cartomizer Vs. Atomizer

Bigjim

Just trying to get a grip on all this...

I understand the atomizer is what turns the liquid to vapor. I also get that the atomizer attaches to the battery and the mouthpiece is what you drip into then attaches to the atomizer (I think). I hear you drip 2-3 drops, get 4-5 puffs, and repeat. The atomizer cost like $25 for 3pk and will need replaced after a few weeks? I think...?

Then there's the cartomizer. It's an atomizer built into a cartridge. So, it just screws onto the battery? No need for the original atomizer? Do ya drip-fill these? 2-3 drips, 4-5 puffs, how many times can ya repeat this before ya just replace the carto altogether? They're $10 for 5pk, so might be better in the long run, financially? Gah... so confused! :blink: but tryin' hard to understand...

Hey Bigjim. Yes this stuff can get kinda confusing. Let me try to clear things up a bit.

Originally, ecigs were designed to have a cartridge that holds liquid, which you are referring to as a mouth piece. It would hold a lot more than 2-3 drops. I'm not exactly sure how much liquid it holds as I have not used a cartridge in a long time. It's supposed to last you about a packs worth of analogs I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said I haven't used cartridges in awhile lol.

Most people find that cartridges just don't work all that great, so we've come up with direct dripping. This is a technique where you drip 2-3 drops directly onto the atomizer. Not the mouth piece. You get about 5 good puffs then you repeat. Hence our slogan...drip, vape, repeat.

Now there's these new things called cartomizers, which I have yet to try myself. It's a 1 piece atomizer/cartridge combo that's aimed at keeping things low maintenance. They are meant to be disposable, so once it's finished you just throw it out. I've heard you can refill it though, about 3 times before it completely goes bad. And yes, this just screws right onto the battery.

Hope this helped a little and not confused you even more. :unsure:

I'll just add that cartomizers hold a lot of juice. The 510 carto will hold about 60 drops (I lost count after 40, but I would say 60 is about right).

I think what you'll find is that the regular 510 atty will give you better throat hit than the carto, but the carto is much more convenient. I direct drip most of the time, but use a carto when driving or when on-the-go (fishing, mowing the lawn, etc).

My suggestion would be to get a regular 510 kit (or an eGo) and a pack of cartos to try. Then you'll have both.

As for atty life, they say 3-6 weeks in general. However, don't be surprised if you lose one after 2 weeks and don't be surprised if one lasts two months. Some people clean their attys regularly and have them lasts for months.

The only piece of info that i can add to what these two wonderful vapers have said is that I've refilled some cartos now more than three times, and they're still going strong. My habit is to have four or five filled with different flavors, though each one normally gets used exclusively for a full day. It appears to me that a 510 carto holds about 1 ml, maybe just a touch more.

The only piece of info that i can add to what these two wonderful vapers have said is that I've refilled some cartos now more than three times, and they're still going strong. My habit is to have four or five filled with different flavors, though each one normally gets used exclusively for a full day. It appears to me that a 510 carto holds about 1 ml, maybe just a touch more.

To drip that much at once into a carto, it's safe to assume they're much larger and have some kind of materiel in them to soak it all up?

...and thank you guys for the insight, have been very helpful!

To drip that much at once into a carto, it's safe to assume they're much larger and have some kind of materiel in them to soak it all up?

...and thank you guys for the insight, have been very helpful!

The 510 cartomizer is actually just a little shorter than a 510 atty with the cart attached.

510 atty with cart attached = 2" (including the threads)

510 carto - 1 5/8" (including the threads)

Have a look at the thread below to see the inside of a carto.

My link

With 901 tip my 510 carto is 2 1/2" it measures 3.4 ohms for those who keep track of that stuff.

I'm trying to keep track. Which cartos? mine are 2.8-3.0. In fact the ones I thought were supposed to be 3.4 are 3.0.

"With 901 tip my 510 carto is 2 1/2" it measures 3.4 ohms for those who keep track of that stuff. "I got the ones from Electronicstix,the box says Dekang inside.

Edited by mcquinn