Are 901S Wacky?

Brandon

Posting this in here in the newbie section b/c I'm a 510 guy, and this is my first experience with a 901.

So, I've been vaping on this new 901 for the past 4hrs constantly. But I'm noticing some strange things here...

I've switched around between MANY different flavored juices but they're all pretty much tasting the same. I mean, it's like the 901 inherently has it's own distinctive taste, and all I can do is barely augment that flavor by switching between juices. And really, I can't do much to change this taste.

I've blown the atty out (from the battery end just to be OCD) 3 times already thinking there was juice stuck down in there that was making all the flavors meld together into one. But it's not helped.

Also I've noticed that the only time I get a burnt flavor, like when you're running low on juice and getting dry, is directly after I blow it out right before I refill with a flavor. It's like there is a bottomless pit down in there that traps all juices and mixes them together in some type of weird metal cauldron. I just can't do anything to change the flavor!

I just switched to a 510 to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and sure enough I'm crazy, but the 510 tasted like normal :) And the 901 still tastes like blah.

So what's the deal? Is this normal or did I get a bad 901? This is my first, and only one. Bought from www.litecigusa.com if that makes any difference. And there's an almost microscopic printing on the battery thread end on the bottom. It says: 14747 JO 875. Not sure if that means anything but I thought it interesting that it was there to begin with.

Oh, and this is apparently one of the newer ones that has the solid washer inside instead of the steel mesh around the atomizer's cup (again, not sure if that matters).

Sidenote: the 801 I got from the same website will NOT fit down onto my VP PT, but I'll assume that's an unrelated subject.

EDIT: I hate to sound all negative, so I will say that I like the cooler vapor on this 901 and LOVE LOVE LOVE the duck-bill whistle tip. Plus, the atomizer as a whole stays much cooler than a 510 on my VP PT, which is kind of an unseen positive trait because when I take it off the 801 to 901 adapter, there is *zero* juice that has found its way down into the adapter. Which is totally unlike a 510. The 510 gets very hot on the VP PT and leaks down into the adapter.

Edited by Brandon

What?????

No difference in taste?

Need more information please. What device are you using and how are you connecting to it?

I bought all of my atomizers from ElectroNicStix, and they all have SLB printed on the bottom. Yes, they do have the metal washers inside, and yes, they do run cooler (especially with a stainless T-Tip). But no difference in taste?

How is the draw on it? I can say that the draw is tighter than a 510, but you should not have to collapse your lungs to get air through it. Is the little hole on the side obstructed in any way? You should get air from two places, the hole on the side and the hole in the bottom. If you're using an adapter of some sort, then make sure you are getting air through the adapter as well. There should be a hole on the side of it as well. If you have an adapter for your passthrough, use that and let me know how that works out for you.

Attys can come with some pretty persistent primer fluid on them, and 901s can take a while to "break in" (difficult to say how long, but I'm a heavy vaper and it takes a few hours). As has ben said they a tighter draw than 510s but it shouldn't hard to draw. 901s are normally GOOD on flavour (much better than 510s) - I use RN4075 attys - a 901 clone - rather than SLB 901s as they run a tad hotter. I get my RN4075s in multipacks from places such as Liberty Flights (good value) and TW.

This might help: http://www.vapersplace.com/profiles/blogs/comparing-901801510-atomisers

My Screwdriver is designed to work with the 901 and I have three atties that I have broke in for it. Once broke in I like the 901 better than my 510 atty. I think the primer is the issue. I'm nigh near a chain vaper, (I like to blow rings), and it has taken me on average a day to break one in. :offtopic: This is way off topic but I need to get a dedicated 510 device and give that atty a good shake. I've heard such good things about 510's being great all-rounders yet I am unimpressed when I use my 510 with an adapter equipped screwdriver.

Thanks for the reply folks.

Yes, I'm using it on my VP passthrough with the 801 to 901 adapter. It fits well, and seems to make very good contact. The hole on the side of the atty and also the one on the battery end are unrestricted and they look fine. However, the draw is the opposite of what you all have described. The draw is lighter and more airy. But then again that's in comparison to a broken-in 510, and all the 510s I've ever had get tighter the more you use them (which I actually like).

Thanks ProfBeard for the link, that was a good read!

I guess maybe it's just taking a long time to break in, but 4hrs+ is kind of a pain in the neck. I'll try it again today and see if I can make any progress.

PiWright besides the VP PT I only own 2 other mods. The BB and a double barrel box mod that I made (both 510 of course). I'm totally happy with the BB, and know that many other folks are too. But I hate to offer recommendations when I don't own several mods.

...going crazy, and sure enough I'm crazy,

dribble.gif

I wanna go too!!

Anyway I don't have the SD but I do use 901 and 510 attys regularly and yes the 901 takes much longer to break in and vape away the primer fluid. Also seems the primer taste is different in different manufacturers. But that could be just me.

Don't give up as I am sure you will like the 901s.

Brandon,

Put your finger over one of the holes and try to tighten the draw. See if that changes your vaping experience. Keep in mind that your're going from 2.2 ohms to 2.9 ohms. 901s burn cooler, they probably need a reduced airflow rate as it vaporizes liquid. Let me know what you think.

I have been using the 901's for a spell now and I have found that at 5 volts I get the same thing it all tastes the same .At 3.7 or 4 volts they work great .I use them for my carting atty as the 510 seems to me to let too much air in and dilutes the vape and the last four LB 801's I bought don't wick from carts very good.The only tjing I don't like about the 901's is the carts get loose pretty quick and fall out easy.

My Screwdriver is designed to work with the 901 and I have three atties that I have broke in for it. Once broke in I like the 901 better than my 510 atty. I think the primer is the issue. I'm nigh near a chain vaper, (I like to blow rings), and it has taken me on average a day to break one in. :offtopic: This is way off topic but I need to get a dedicated 510 device and give that atty a good shake. I've heard such good things about 510's being great all-rounders yet I am unimpressed when I use my 510 with an adapter equipped screwdriver.

I have a device (Super Six) with a dedicated 510 connection (it has interchangeable connections for 901/510/801) and I can assure you that an SD with a 510 adapter (I have that too) is just the same as a dedicated device

Yeah tektronic, covering the air hole tightened up the draw, but it's not changing the taste :(

Everything is pretty much the same, and by now I've put in well over 20hrs of vape on it. Maybe McQuinn's right. Maybe at 5v everything just melds into one taste.

I don't have any 510 to 901 adapters, so I can't try it at a lower voltage (yet).