Airport Security Takes Atomizers

my sister was over the other day and shared an experience she had at our local, small airport. she is a lead with TSA at this airport and only after the experience did she recall my use of the PV... a man going thru the security check piont, upon discovery, was asked about his e-cig. he told them what it was then they asked to see it work. they took the cart off and pressed the switch. they heard crackling and saw what appeared to be smoke. TSA employees at this airport then concluded that it produces heat. a product that produces heat could be a potential hazard. so they took the safest route and confiscated 5 attys from him. they tried to compromise by letting him keep everything else. they only had concerns with the part that created the heat. i have since explained to my sister that there is not enough heat created to support ignition, showing her that my cart filler does not burn. does anyone know what the actual temp is? she also shared with me his outrage, understandable in my opinion, and his harsh response almost cost him his complete e-cig. so to make a long story even longer, the guidance from my sister is, (1) to separate the parts. TSA's ignorance plays to our favor in this respect. if they see a small unidentifiable doohickey that appears harmless they wont look or ask any farther. (2) check your attitude at the door. anger is perceived as a threat and will not ever make a TSA employee change their mind. remember they have guys with guns to back them up. i'll go to this local airport and give a demo to the TSA agents there. don't know what good it will do, but how can no action be of any help? i fly about 3 times a month and have had zero problems. my sister says that without the atty attached it looks like a laser pointer, which is allowed. just be discrete and life should go on hassle free.

good luck all and happy vaping...............

I've never had any problems at all flying with my PVs. I usually just throw them in my laptop bag and never even had a question.

As for the temperature, it should be right around 120 degrees plus or minus. And since a pizza box won't burn in a 350 degree oven, I doubt you could start a fire with the thing.

Maybe you could explain that it's a vaporizor unit that works on the same principle as a theatrical fog machine. I tell people it's a mini fog machine and that seems to clear it up.

That's why I love my Janty Stick. It looks like a medical device. When somebody asks, I tell them it's a vaporizor for my lungs, which is completely true. They act embarrased and don't persue it any further!

Edited by jmhester

Too bad for that guy, he should belong to a forum as this has been discussed many times.

I fly once in a while but I separate the whole thing. Batts in camera case, atts in makeup case, carts in pocket. and of course spares in my checked bags. I have vaped on plane but I am very discreet. Not all interest is good interest.

and as I am typically going on vacation I am in my "happy mood".

i'll go to this local airport and give a demo to the TSA agents there. don't know what good it will do, but how can no action be of any help?

At least we'll know who to blame if a TSA alert goes out to be on the lookout for a heat generating device that can be broken down into several parts in order to disguise its intended use!! ;-) just kidding, but you never know, I'm a big believer in no good deed goes unpunished, though I do keep trying.

Edited by FTJoe

Wow that really sucks. I actually took an Air Canada flight from Canada to the US, and when they saw my e-cig stuff, they were a little skeptical, but one of the security officers knew what they were! She started talking in french to the other officers explaining what the e-cig is and they all smiled and let me walk on the plane with it. One of the officers also told me that "if normal cigarettes are allowed to be brought on board, then these can too!" They were very nice about it, but confiscated my hair gel :( lol

Thats sucks they confiscated it. I just got back from a vacation and i made sure to check my PV into my luggage that goes under the plane. They put an inspection ticket in my bag but nothing was taken.

Its amazing that they freak about little things like that. When i went through the security checkpoint they pulled me to the side to have someone give me a pat down. I didnt have anything metal on or anything so i found that rather odd. Well he patted me down and sent me on my way; then later when i sat down a lighter fell out of my coat pocket right onto the floor. Apparently even after a pat down they didnt find the lighter i forgot about in my pocket. :rolleyes2:

...then later when i sat down a lighter fell out of my coat pocket right onto the floor. Apparently even after a pat down they didnt find the lighter i forgot about in my pocket.

Hmmmm, why did you have a lighter? Have you been smoking analogs? I think I smell smoke?detective.gif

The key to any encounter with TSA is demeanor! The slightest inkling that the passenger is nervous or angry is going to get attention...and not the good kind. With the Christmas Day incident, air rage incidents a couple of times a month, and general crazies flying these day, TSA is just not prone to toleration. My general approach is to smile and say "Yes, sir/ma'am" at every turn. And so far, that has worked pretty well. Not that I haven't gone through my share of advanced screenings, but getting upset would not improve the situation.

Hmmmm, why did you have a lighter? Have you been smoking analogs? I think I smell smoke?detective.gif

Haha!! Quite the detective! And no, the girlfriend still smokes on occasion so i usually end up holding her light and smokes half the time. :innocent:

I agree acting nervous or acting as if your doing something wrong is your one way ticket (no pun intended) to an inspection. I've traveled quite a bit since vaping and I've never had an issue. In fact most of the TSA agent usually end up leaving with one of our business cards. In fact believe it or not Parker actually sold a few kits to the TSA guys while heading back from New York. :lol: Only Parker...