Diy Mixing

sensay

Hello everyone. I am going to be ordering some supplies next week. First on my list will be VT grape soda! lol I am also considering doing some mixing myself. What types of flavorings do you guys recommend? I had no idea there were so many out there.

Hi sensay, welcome to the light side! To get set up for mixing you'll want a few basic things. Unfortunately you can't get them all in one place. What a raw deal but that's just the deal. Actually, you probably can get most everything you need from one or two places, but there's going to be specific flavors you want that you'll have to go looking for. Here's a list of what I consider the basics:

• PG and/or VG nic base, with a high enough nic level that you can cut it at least by half and still get your desired end nic strength. For example if you vape 24mg you could probably get away with 48mg base.
  • 0 nic PG and VG. These are cheap, though PG is a bear to find except by mailorder.
  • Flavorings. Common brands are Lorann's, Fairy's Finest, Capella, Perfumer's Apprentice, Flavour Art. I'm beginning to lean back toward Lorran's because they seem to be the most concentrated to me, which can be important if you like a Lot of flavor.
  • Storage and carry bottles. I like to store larger quantities of everything in glass dropper bottles easy to find on eBay. 30 ml bottles would be a decent size to be handy to use but I have some 60 ml bottles for storing mixed liquid. Also 3 ml and 6 ml plastic drip bottles.
  • Pipettes for dripping. One thing that can throw you is that different drippers have different drop sizes. You'll have to adjust your calculator for the number of drops you get per milliliter; that really varies! So using the same kind of disposable pipette can help to standardize mixing. (Disposable pipettes can be rinsed out and used many times.)
  • Latex gloves. Mixing is messy and you don't want to get high-nic base on your skin; it can make you quite sick.
  • A calculator for determining the volume of each component for your mix. Don't use mine, I found a math error that I haven't fixed yet. There's a thread here with a great calculator that also includes a ton of nice recipes and some 'how to' type information.

I think that covers the basics at a high level. Look through other threads here to find suppliers and many good ideas. You may hear some conflicting advice but you'll soon determine what you'll want to try first.

One thing that I'm figuring out that works well for me is to mix your flavoring together in a discrete bottle. Then you can experiment with PG/VG proportions, how much flavoring to add, etc without messing up a whole mix when you get it not-quite-perfect the first few tries. Also, you can mix with 0 nic base to test flavor and vapor properties before you commit your measure of nic base.

Good luck, have fun, ask all your questions and vape on! You found the right place.

Gave u a plus one! Thank you so much!!! You answered soo many of my questions. I made an of a couple of flavors from Perfumer's Apprentice ( they were so cheap ) so I thought Id try it first to see if I can do this. I am making a shopping list for the rest!!!

I'm pleased that I could help. :) Feel free to ask all of your questions. That helps us all, because we all learn something new from every conversation.

Oh - I meant to say, good luck with your DIY endeavors! It's a lot of fun.

Edited by ddavelarsen

• 1 month later...

Hi sensay, welcome to the light side! To get set up for mixing you'll want a few basic things. Unfortunately you can't get them all in one place. What a raw deal but that's just the deal. Actually, you probably can get most everything you need from one or two places, but there's going to be specific flavors you want that you'll have to go looking for. Here's a list of what I consider the basics:

• PG and/or VG nic base, with a high enough nic level that you can cut it at least by half and still get your desired end nic strength. For example if you vape 24mg you could probably get away with 48mg base.
  • 0 nic PG and VG. These are cheap, though PG is a bear to find except by mailorder.
  • Flavorings. Common brands are Lorann's, Fairy's Finest, Capella, Perfumer's Apprentice, Flavour Art. I'm beginning to lean back toward Lorran's because they seem to be the most concentrated to me, which can be important if you like a Lot of flavor.
  • Storage and carry bottles. I like to store larger quantities of everything in glass dropper bottles easy to find on eBay. 30 ml bottles would be a decent size to be handy to use but I have some 60 ml bottles for storing mixed liquid. Also 3 ml and 6 ml plastic drip bottles.
  • Pipettes for dripping. One thing that can throw you is that different drippers have different drop sizes. You'll have to adjust your calculator for the number of drops you get per milliliter; that really varies! So using the same kind of disposable pipette can help to standardize mixing. (Disposable pipettes can be rinsed out and used many times.)
  • Latex gloves. Mixing is messy and you don't want to get high-nic base on your skin; it can make you quite sick.
  • A calculator for determining the volume of each component for your mix. Don't use mine, I found a math error that I haven't fixed yet. There's a thread here with a great calculator that also includes a ton of nice recipes and some 'how to' type information.

I think that covers the basics at a high level. Look through other threads here to find suppliers and many good ideas. You may hear some conflicting advice but you'll soon determine what you'll want to try first.

One thing that I'm figuring out that works well for me is to mix your flavoring together in a discrete bottle. Then you can experiment with PG/VG proportions, how much flavoring to add, etc without messing up a whole mix when you get it not-quite-perfect the first few tries. Also, you can mix with 0 nic base to test flavor and vapor properties before you commit your measure of nic base.

Good luck, have fun, ask all your questions and vape on! You found the right place.

This is a great post, plus you have replied to all of my questions so far so I thought it was past time for a plus one too!!! This is what I was looking for, but have to admit that after a little on-line looking I am still overwhelmed. I have only been vaping for a week, but want to mix some of my own 0nic flavors. After looking, it seems that I could go to a kitchen store and get what I need, except for maybe the PG, is that right? Can it be that simple? I was thinking everything was going to be vapor related, not cooking, I guess that was silly of me! Can you mix just VG and flavoring and vape that, will there be any TH? Very much looking forward to your reply!

Adam

Hey Adam--welcome to the very unscientific world of mixing !!!

check out this great mixing info put together on the LF forum (mostly UK folk--but great info)

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1208.30

PG--is the easiest to find over the counter. Can use wiltons Glycerine--found in the baking isle of most craft stores. a bit thick--but when diluted with flavoring, distilled water or vodka (adds some throat hit)-thins the glycerin.

not much throat hit on its own however-same for VG.

The nicotine provides much of the throat hit.

Flavoring--

flavour art--found through liberty flights (low stock at the moment however)

Lorann- https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

avoid oils or any flavor not soluable in water--if you click on item details it will tell you if its water soluable.

some of the colorings are very, very dark.

Adam, I'm with kitsune on this one too. Miss k knows what she's talking about, so listen up. :D I did find some dram bottles of Lorran's flavoring at a local Hobby Lobby; they were in the cake decorating section. I got quite a few flavors there. I got USP glycerin at the local grocery in the pharmacy section. Oh - one of the best things you can get in my opinion is one of those baby medicine syringes. They cost about $2 and are marked in .2 ml, with a max volume of generally 5 ml. This has proven ideal for my purposes, as it gets around the problem of differing drop sizes with different liquids, since you're mixing with volume. Highly recommended. I found mine at Walgreens and have seen them in the grocery store too. I've also seen glass droppers in the grocery store, which are nice in many cases.

But really, you won't find much locally; it's going to be a mail order enterprise I'm afraid. And there will be multiple shipping charges because you won't find everything you want at the same place.

One thing I did when I started was make a spreadsheet with a list of everything I wanted to get; each flavor, different bases, bottles, nic liquid, and so on. Then I went shopping. I listed each supplier (hyperlink to their page) with the price, amount (volume), shipping charge, any coupon codes i could find, etc. Then I just sorted my list by supplier and started there. It did help to cut down on the number of orders I had to make, if only a little.

Also, like commercial liquid, when purchasing flavors for the first time, I recommend buying a small quantity; when you find the ones you know you'll want to use over and over, you can buy the BIG bottles. :) I've run out of storage for my DIY stuff twice; I'm again looking for a proper container to organize all this stuff in. See? The fun just goes on and on.

Once you have a few successful recipes under your belt I bet you'll be like a lot of us; eventually you won't buy much commercial e liquid anymore, because you've learned to make the stuff you like best. I've actually pretty much stopped buying pre-made juice; realizing the came as a real surprise, believe me. A pleasant one. DIY really is a great deal less expensive (once you get supplied and stop making "Uck!" juice) than purchasing. The only thing is, I have yet to create a decent replica of my fave 555. Sigh.

Adam, I'm with kitsune on this one too. Miss k knows what she's talking about, so listen up. biggrin.gif I did find some dram bottles of Lorran's flavoring at a local Hobby Lobby; they were in the cake decorating section. I got quite a few flavors there. I got USP glycerin at the local grocery in the pharmacy section. Oh - one of the best things you can get in my opinion is one of those baby medicine syringes. They cost about $2 and are marked in .2 ml, with a max volume of generally 5 ml. This has proven ideal for my purposes, as it gets around the problem of differing drop sizes with different liquids, since you're mixing with volume. Highly recommended. I found mine at Walgreens and have seen them in the grocery store too. I've also seen glass droppers in the grocery store, which are nice in many cases.

But really, you won't find much locally; it's going to be a mail order enterprise I'm afraid. And there will be multiple shipping charges because you won't find everything you want at the same place.

One thing I did when I started was make a spreadsheet with a list of everything I wanted to get; each flavor, different bases, bottles, nic liquid, and so on. Then I went shopping. I listed each supplier (hyperlink to their page) with the price, amount (volume), shipping charge, any coupon codes i could find, etc. Then I just sorted my list by supplier and started there. It did help to cut down on the number of orders I had to make, if only a little.

Also, like commercial liquid, when purchasing flavors for the first time, I recommend buying a small quantity; when you find the ones you know you'll want to use over and over, you can buy the BIG bottles. smile.gif I've run out of storage for my DIY stuff twice; I'm again looking for a proper container to organize all this stuff in. See? The fun just goes on and on.

Once you have a few successful recipes under your belt I bet you'll be like a lot of us; eventually you won't buy much commercial e liquid anymore, because you've learned to make the stuff you like best. I've actually pretty much stopped buying pre-made juice; realizing the came as a real surprise, believe me. A pleasant one. DIY really is a great deal less expensive

(once you get supplied and stop making "Uck!" juice) than purchasing. The only thing is, I have yet to create a decent replica of my fave 555. Sigh.

I do like 555! My first and, aside from a few samples and the juice I just made, only juice! It's only been a week and I am already thinking, "what a long strange trip it's been!"

Edited by jeffb
Admin edit

I thought about this option as well, and was wondering, wouldn't a kit like this one be a good way to start?

http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/products/The-DIY-Flavor-Artisan%27s-Apprentice-Kit.html

I just ordered a mixing kit from Dawn over at DIY Flavor Shack. http://www.diyflavorshack.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3 I'll post a review after I receive it. I also ordered some 100mg base from Bruce at Clouds of Vapor.

I figured now is a good time to learn how to DIY. book.gif

I really looked at that one also, but I thought that the kit at onestop would be better because the VG or PG comes in a 120ml jug, and the kit at the flavor shack comes with a 20ml bottle of base. Both kits come with a 30ml botle of nic juice, although the flavor shack kit has higher mg levels. The tackle box is a nice touch, and it has a few more tools and accesories, but in the end I think you can make more juice out of the onestop kit.

Of course I may be wrong because I have not done any mixing yet, but I was looking more at the volumes of liquids and less at the box. It's jus difficult for a newbie to look at these and know what is the better deal.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys find about your kits, and it's cool that you ordered from different suppliers for comparison. Sometimes I wish I'd have started that way rather than piece-at-a-time the way I did, I may not have made so many mistakes. I haven't looked obviously, so I hope you'll bear with me; does either kit include a syringe for measuring? I've been using a baby medicine syringe for proportions rather than counting drops, and it's proven to be much better since volume is volume, and drops are often different sizes. Just curious, of course I could go look for myself but short on time this morning. Sigh. I'm sure I'll check it out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this, I'm dying to hear about the kits! How'd they turn out?

Thanks for reminding me. I was going to start playing with the kit today, but I had a family emergency. I will probably break out the kit tomorrow. :)

Thanks for reminding me. I was going to start playing with the kit today, but I had a family emergency. I will probably break out the kit tomorrow. :)

Wow, I hope everything's OK Jeff, I hope the best for ya!

• 3 weeks later...

This maybe a stupid question but I have to ask :withstupid: Can a person use the food flavorings that you buy in the grocery stores the ones you get here by us is Branded Moirs and Robertson's both are water based and have no sugar in most of there flavors will it help if I put a list of ingredients on here :iiam: I would really appreciate an answer because it's so difficult to have to import flavors we do not have stuff like the flavor shops you guys talk about here by us.