What Am I Doing Wrong?

Wannavape

Hi friends,

I started out using the carts that came with the 510 and found that they last only a few minutes before needing topping off again. I've been lifting the filler and putting enough juice on it so that it looks slushy and not puddled and then pushing it back in so that it's even with the edge of the mouthpiece. Sometimes I get a good throat hit from it, but most times I don't, and the cartridge needs re-juicing after only three or four hits.

Now I'm trying direct dripping, but I'm not having much luck with that either. I blew out the atty, took the cart out of the mouthpiece, trimmed off the plastic a bit, then dripped two drops onto the atty. Still I'm getting only a modest amount of vapor, and after a few hits, it tastes really nasty. What can I do to get it to consistently give me those hard-hitting throat hits like I experience every once in a while and the big puff of vapor like Christopher shows in his demonstration video of the 510? Help!!!! ....Pam

Hmmm usually the best way to get vapor from any electronic cigarette is to take slow drags if that isn't working and you've done everything states above I'm wondering if you have a genuine Joye 510. There has been an influx of suppliers carrying SLB "510's" which I'm hearing time and time again or total junk. (Some people like them most don't)

When you look inside of your 510 do you notice a little washer inside? (A ring that goes around the silver bridge of the atomizer)

Hmmm usually the best way to get vapor from any electronic cigarette is to take slow drags if that isn't working and you've done everything states above I'm wondering if you have a genuine Joye 510. There has been an influx of suppliers carrying SLB "510's" which I'm hearing time and time again or total junk. (Some people like them most don't)

When you look inside of your 510 do you notice a little washer inside? (A ring that goes around the silver bridge of the atomizer)

Yes, I see something that looks silver, but it looks more like a "C" shape on either side of the atomizer. It might go all the way around, but I'm not certain. I bought the starter kit from Arno at Awsomevapor.com, and I was told that he was a reliable seller. He seems to be very honest and is quite helpful.

Hi friends,

I started out using the carts that came with the 510 and found that they last only a few minutes before needing topping off again. I've been lifting the filler and putting enough juice on it so that it looks slushy and not puddled and then pushing it back in so that it's even with the edge of the mouthpiece. Sometimes I get a good throat hit from it, but most times I don't, and the cartridge needs re-juicing after only three or four hits.

Now I'm trying direct dripping, but I'm not having much luck with that either. I blew out the atty, took the cart out of the mouthpiece, trimmed off the plastic a bit, then dripped two drops onto the atty. Still I'm getting only a modest amount of vapor, and after a few hits, it tastes really nasty. What can I do to get it to consistently give me those hard-hitting throat hits like I experience every once in a while and the big puff of vapor like Christopher shows in his demonstration video of the 510? Help!!!! ....Pam

You should use a paperclip to make sure the cart is accepting all the juice. Also, gold band attys, 5 pack from TotallyWicked. Can't go wrong with them (IMO). Actually if something is wrong with one, there is no warranty for the bulk purchase but assuming they work, they work very well. Only think I can think of besides the atty not being any good is as Christopher said, nice long slow draw is the trick. Unlike a cigarette that will actually burn faster as you draw faster, the atomizer can only vaporize so much as it hits as the liquid moves onto it. So slow does the trick. Once you figure out what's wrong while you're dripping, if you still want to use a cart use PTB or another filler (fluval?). Listed in the mod section.

If you can post a picture that would be great. Arno is a great guy, but that sounds to me like it's an SLB and not a Joye 510.

I've taken a picture of both the inside and the outside of the atty. I opened up a new one that is one of two that I also bought as spares from Rockymountainvapor.com. I haven't used either of them, but I looked carefully, and they look exactly like the ones I got from Arno. I'll edit the pictures and will try to upload them shortly.

I've taken a picture of both the inside and the outside of the atty. I opened up a new one that is one of two that I also bought as spares from Rockymountainvapor.com. I haven't used either of them, but I looked carefully, and they look exactly like the ones I got from Arno. I'll edit the pictures and will try to upload them shortly.

Well, I've tried twice to upload the pictures, but here's one last try. The one of the inside of the atty isn't very clear, but it's the best I could do.

post-2089-126592932615_thumb.jpg

post-2089-126592941183_thumb.jpg

post-2089-126592932615_thumb.jpg

post-2089-126592941183_thumb.jpg

It sounds like a weak atomizer to me. That's the symptoms anyway. The atty could be flooded, too. Try blowing it out into a paper towel from the threaded end. Then drip 2-3 drops and try it again. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing it's a bad atomizer. Drop Arno an email and I'm sure he'll send you out another one. I would keep at least 3-4 new ones on hand, just in case.

There are a few tricks I've kinda taught myself in my few weeks with the 510. I noticed too that after I drip the first two hits are good on flavor and throat hit but not so bueno on vapor. I started thinking about it and the concept is that the battery powers an element to flash boil the fluid. it stands to reason that the fluid at the bottom gets boiled then you are trying to pull the vaporized mixture through the unboiled juice, which would cut down on the vapor. (think of the difference between boiling water in a pot opposed to throwing water on a hot frying pan.) I assumed, and I could always be wrong, that this was what people mean when they say the atty is flooded. So I have been doing two things that work pretty good, holding it level with the ground for the first few puffs to let the fluid come off the element a bit so its just vaporizing the juice coating the coils, also I hold the button for a half a sec till i hear a small sizzle before I start dragging (slow like everyone says). If you are using an auto batt try a primer puff to get the atty cooking before you start taking a full drag.

Could be though I'm frying my atty and I don't know it, only about a half a month on this atty so maybe I'm asking for a blowout. Maybe some more experienced heads will know.

Edited by Gweetus

hmmm hard to tell really with how dark it is, but it looks to be Joye :) Maybe just a bad atomizer

Since I quit putting the juice on the cart, removed the cart, and am now dripping onto the atty, it's getting better. I think the attys are all probably the real thing, because they came from reliable and recommended sellers. In all likelihood the problem is me. Thanks for all your help!

Since I quit putting the juice on the cart, removed the cart, and am now dripping onto the atty, it's getting better. I think the attys are all probably the real thing, because they came from reliable and recommended sellers. In all likelihood the problem is me. Thanks for all your help!

I can't tell you how many issues I had in the beginning, and they were mostly if not all me. Just really a learning curve to get past/push through. Unfortunately smoking is easier than vaping, but that's why you're here. Keep pushing.

Hi friends,

Pull just enough to get the vapor from the atomizer, dont drag hard. Works for me

Hi friends,

Hi Pam, I have found a great deal of information on U Tube.

Video from Ritalee on U Tube is very helpful. I have watched info

on cleaning addy's etc. Give it a try. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for the helpful input. Sorry to be so late in replying, but I've been out of town and away from the computer for the last two days. ...Pam

Don't forget that all atty's have a "break in period"... and it can be different for each and every one of them.

Some may take several hours... and others may take several days. You just need to keep at it for a good while and get them "broke in" good. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi friends,

CLEAN THE WADDING.

Especially if you're using a VG liquid. I find the atomizer coil/wick makes a depression in the cartridge material when the liquid has gunked the filling material. When that happens, the liquid cannot soak in and wick out.

Take your tweezers, pull out the filler matierial, rinse it well in water as hot as you can stand it, blot it dry with paper towels (I prefer unscented Keenex because it shows the least moisture and I know it's really dry), shove it back in and fill the cartridge.

It will only last a puff or two after cleaning before you have to add more liquid, but on the second re-fill/top-off it starts behaving again.

AND ALSO: take long, soft puffs, not the short, sharp "barks" we made with cigarettes. Sharp hits can couse enough negative air pressure in the cartirdge that you are pulling the liquid out of the filling material faster than it can wick up from the bottom.