How Many Drops? Newbie Question!

Char

I'm new at this....have had my dse801 for less than 24 hrs!! And I have a few questions about all of this. I am doing the "direct drip" and I have seen people say they put in 2-3 drops and others say they put in 18 drops....so, I am confused :) If you are not using the little "filter" that comes inside the cartridges.....how many "drops" should you start out with? Also, is there some "formula" as to how many drops are equivalent to one cigarette?

Normally 2-3 drops, but I've found that with an 801 3-4 drops seems to work best. You'll usually get 5-7 good hits when dripping. If you hear a bubbling sound and don't get much vapor, you've flooded the atty. Just roll up a piece of paper towel and insert it into the atty for a few minutes to absorb out some juice. Takes a little getting use to, but you'll get a routine that works for you.

I think the 18 drops you've heard is for filling up the cartridge.

PS - Welcome to Vaportalk!

Edited by Brian

First thing, Welcome to Vapor Talk Char. If you are direct dripping then you are correct with the 2-3 drops. The 18 drop number was most likely refering to filling a cartridge. I don,t know of a conversion from number of e-juice drops to analogs. An off the wall guess would be 3 drops equal analog. Hope you like it here. :)

For direct dripping you want to use about 2-3 drops but make sure ur dropping them in the atty end not into the cart, there is a good video of chris explaining this. (sorry im at a friends house and cant search for the link but look in the videos section or maybe someone else can find it for you really fast) good luck!

welcome to VT!

roor

Here is the video this should help a lot for you.. Good luck just stick with it!

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/videos/view-19-what-is-direct-dripping/

Welcome to Vapor Talk, Char. The drops part of your question was answered, so I won't repeat that. I will say that I agree that 3 to 4 drops work better in the 801. The 2 to 3 drops would be more for the 510. In my opinion.

It might be a little bit different for everyone, but I have found that for me 2 to 3 drops is about 5 to 6 drags and for me a cigarette was about 12 drags. So if you use 4 to 6 drops, that would equal abut 10 to 12 drags or one cigarette. It is just a rough guess and might be different for you, but it might be somewhere to start or give you an idea of what might work for you.

Good luck with the vaping and don't hesitate to ask any more questions you might have.

I'm new at this....have had my dse801 for less than 24 hrs!! And I have a few questions about all of this. I am doing the "direct drip" and I have seen people say they put in 2-3 drops and others say they put in 18 drops....so, I am confused :) If you are not using the little "filter" that comes inside the cartridges.....how many "drops" should you start out with? Also, is there some "formula" as to how many drops are equivalent to one cigarette?

Welcome to the forum fellow Coloradoian(I have no idea how to say that :hrhr:)

I use 3-4 drops in my 801 atty and usually redrip after 5-8 pulls or when it starts tasting burnt.

You will find an answer to every possible question you will ever think of in this greatest of all ecig forums.

Again, welcome, you'll love it here.

WOW!! you guys are all so helpful...thanks a million...I watched the video and think I might have that all figured out..I have not had an analog since last Thursday and THAT is nothing short of a miracle for me :) I have tried absolutely everything under the sun to try and get off the reg. cigs. And so now I have another question...not sure if I should post it in a different thread or here.....what does it mean when some of the liquid is leaking down the sides; coming from where the atomizer screws onto the battery I think. Does that mean that I am dropping in too much liquid? And what should I do about it. I sometimes feel like I have the liquid all over my hand & stuff :( kinda messy.

The liquid running down your arm is a common occurance,it means it is time to take the atty off and blow thru it backwards to blow excess liquid into a kleenex.I usually don't notice until I have coated my puter keyboard and rubbed it on my glasses.

WOW!! you guys are all so helpful...thanks a million...I watched the video and think I might have that all figured out..I have not had an analog since last Thursday and THAT is nothing short of a miracle for me :)

You should probably post another question on the juice but I think you got a good answer (I'm not a dripper). I'm posting to say congrats, weird isn't it not having a cig? I tried everything over thirty plus years of smoking this was easy. Be prepared for some of the symptoms of vaping/not smoking, cough, sore throat, other things. Some get them some don't, it's all good though. Again, congrats.

First, congrats on no analogs! I usually have 3-4 atty's in rotation. One or two in use and one or two set aside with a piece of rolled up paper towel in the atty. The rolled up papertowel inserted in the atty does a good job getting out all the excess and old juice that builds up in the bottom. Or you can try blowing them out like McQuinn said. I don't get leaks very often any more, but it still happens occasionally, so it's always a good idea to have a paper towel handy. If you get it on your hands be sure to wash them. Really sucks to forget about it and rub your eyes. Not that I would know anything about that. :whistle:

Oh, I generally rotate the atty's every other day or so.

Edited by Brian

Welcome to the forum Char! Looks like you already got some great answers...but here's the direct dripping video that ROOR was talking about:

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/videos/view-19-what-is-direct-dripping/

thanks....the video was great to watch and "learn".....

You should probably post another question on the juice but I think you got a good answer (I'm not a dripper). I'm posting to say congrats, weird isn't it not having a cig? I tried everything over thirty plus years of smoking this was easy. Be prepared for some of the symptoms of vaping/not smoking, cough, sore throat, other things. Some get them some don't, it's all good though. Again, congrats.

I know exactly what you mean...I have really tried EVERYTHING out there...this is amazing like I said; to say the least! Totally feels weird not smoking...and I have been on those things for 30 years too...OMG. Not looking forward to any of those symptoms tho...

First, congrats on no analogs! I usually have 3-4 atty's in rotation. One or two in use and one or two set aside with a piece of rolled up paper towel in the atty. The rolled up papertowel inserted in the atty does a good job getting out all the excess and old juice that builds up in the bottom. Or you can try blowing them out like McQuinn said. I don't get leaks very often any more, but it still happens occasionally, so it's always a good idea to have a paper towel handy. If you get it on your hands be sure to wash them. Really sucks to forget about it and rub your eyes. Not that I would know anything about that. :whistle:

Oh, I generally rotate the atty's every other day or so.

thanks for the encouragement and the info. I think I had too much liquid down in there!! The paper towel trick works great! I'll get the hang of this....

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the encouragement and the info. I think I had too much liquid down in there!! The paper towel trick works great! I'll get the hang of this....

On a side note.... I personally think a kleenex (without the lotiony crap) works better than a paper towel. Sometimes the paper towels are just to thick and stiff. A kleenex really gets down in the atty better for me. I kind of make it a practice that once I start to hear a "gurgling" sound I take the atty off and use a can of air to blow it out... blow from the threaded end onto a kleenex, then use a rolled up kleenex to get the rest out of the atty. Some people think that the canned air is too strong... but I have YET to foul an atty or anything because of using it. And I've used alot of canned air cleaning atty's!Then you need to add 3 drops directly onto the atty and give it a few puffs and repeat. Then start directs dripping again if that's what you do, or fill and use a cart. If you don't direct drip yet, you will eventually. I quit using carts after about the 3rd day I think. The taste is much better and I don't have to mess around with filling carts or messing with the polyfiber crap! Just some thoughts. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

Well, Welcome Char! As you can see, you found a great place. Nothing but concern for your success and answers to all your questions. I don't have much to add to what's gone before except to mention that vaping isn't much like smoking.

What I mean is, when you were smoking an analog you smoked the whole thing down to the end and that was it for an hour or so. Vaping is quite different - for me at least. I tend to vape a couple hits, then set it down and vape a bit more a while later. It's more an ongoing process rather than one punctuated with discrete events. I don't know if that makes sense, but I think it's why it's hard to say what's equivalent to a cigarette.

That cigarette equivalency also has many variables - what analogs you smoked, what strength nic you're using, which device you're on etc. I've never been able to make that connection and believe me - I've tried. ;) The best I can say is that I vape about 15 ml a week and smoked a bit more than a carton a week. To show how difficult this is, 15 ml is about 300 drops and a carton is 200 analogs. That would suggest 1.5 drops for me is equivalent to one analog. I know that's not true!

It's been said (but I don't think anyone really knows) that the uptake of nicotine from vapor isn't as efficient as from smoke. That calculation suggests that the opposite is true; that vapor is far more efficient than smoke in delivering nicotine. Probably though, it's just that I use a really high nic level. If I used a more common strength I'd be vaping more like 30 or 40 ml, and that would suggest 3 or 4 drops per analog. See where I'm going with this? Depends what you're using vs what you smoked.

Okay, so forgetting all that, I spent about $90 a week on analogs, and I spend about $10 on juice. Of course there are other expenses to vaping (especially up front) but you can see vaping is quite inexpensive compared to smoking. Until the govt figures out how to tax juice anyway...

How's that for a Welcome! :) Sorry, I took the day off work and just feeling good about it. The sun is shining, my dog is sleeping next to me - the world is shining. Gets me going.