Measure Aims To Prohibit Sales Of E-Cigs To Minors

Jeffb

Makes sense to me.I think most suppliers would not knowingly sell to a minor anyway.By the same token if a kid wants something they will find a way.

Yes they will. I've seen lots of teenagers who are way underage, smoking away. And there are lots and lots of them who drink. The laws won't do much to stop them, but I don't mind that they want them in place. If it makes them feel better, go for it.

I think it would be better if they went after stupid politicians .That would save a lot of money and save a lot more lives and jobs.PLus there are fewer and they should be easier to find ,just look where the tv cameras are.

Like it was said, go for it, if it makes the state feel all warm and fuzzy restricting minors by all means. But I remember (kinda) being a kid, and if someone said you can't do that, then by God it was your only ambition to do it! It sure seems modern politicians like to wear that "for our children" hat. I'm sure glad they weren't around when I was a kid, life would have been pretty milk toast boring. I can't help but believe it's just an opener to restricting adults down the road..

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/28/20100128necigarette0129.html

I think we all can agree that we support an age restriction on e-cig sales.

Just keep a watchful eye on this bill as it makes it through the Senate.

Last year in California, we had a bill that started out exactly the same way -- just a ban on the sale to minors which we all agree with -- but by the time that it made it through both Houses, the Bill had morphed into a TOTAL BAN on e-cigs and it was passed by both Houses in under a week. We got lucky in that Schwarzenegger ultimately vetoed it, but that was a nail-biting Hail Mary not to be relied on.

I think it would be better if they went after stupid politicians .That would save a lot of money and save a lot more lives and jobs.PLus there are fewer and they should be easier to find ,just look where the tv cameras are.

OMG but there are so MANY of them. Maybe we should found a "HOME FOR STUPID POLITICIANS" ? Oh well, that would never work would it....they'd get lost on their way to it. LOL

But like the rest of you I've absolutely NOTHING against age restrictions on ecigs.

Thanks for posting this article - jeffb.

I so, disagree with this effort. Minors are people too.

I first smoked at age 6. I was a daily smoker by age 12. I wanted to quit by age 14. My mother dis-allowed me to smoke openly until the age of 16. And you are telling me that if e-cigs were available and I had chosen to use them, that (one of us would be fined) for choosing a safer alternative! WAKE UP!!!!

I don't care what your age is. If you smoke real cigs, you need to switch to Vape. Making it illegal, is a dirty something, and should be made illegal.

Chris- please delete if you so desire. I am happy to to sell to the parents of children that smoke. I will not sell directly to people <18. And I will not sell Nicotine to people that do not have a smoking habit.

I am just working to beat my nic addiction and be nic free so just in case I won't have to go back to terbacky.

Me, too. I didn't start out trying to go nic free, but the further down in mg. I got, the more I started to think about it. But I don't want to quit vaping.

Well I smoked as a kid, but that doesn't mean I condone it. I worked fruitlessly for years trying to stop my son from smoking. The daughter I caught early enough to make her decide smoking was not fun. Course the first time she started suddenly waving my smoke away and acting offended I KNEW she was smokin LOL.

Anyway that said... Point made. However. As your mother would have bought it anyway, it wouldn't have stopped you.

Cigarettes have been NOT FOR MINORS for a very long time. It hasn't stopped them. It never will. If someone wants to be stupid, they can be damn creative about doing it. I have a feeling that no matter what they do about e-cigs and all, if kids really want them, by god they will get them.

I really don't see under age vaping becoming as much of a problem as under age smoking. Kids usually start by stealing smokes from their parents. If a kid steals their parent's 510 I think they will notice. Kids also bum smokes and/or get someone to buy them a pack with their allowance. At first a kid might think an e-cig is cool but when they see the price of one they will think about all the smokes, dope, and glue they can buy with that money. Also, kids don't have the same health concerns that we do, so vaping being a healthier alternative doesn't appeal to them. Kids believe they are immortal. I remember being a kid and if I were one now I don't think I would find e-cigs very appealing but making them illegal would make them a little more appealing to me. I was like Adam and Eve when I was a kid. "E-cigs are a forbidden fruit? I have to try one!" Laws don't keep kids from being stupid but gives them a reason to. Kids want to feel the freedom of being an adult. Breaking rules makes you feel free.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Schiz on this issue.

You know, if the quote unquote authorities would do their homework, they'd realize that the ecig is not a "cig" just because it's called an e-cig. It's not a "cig" by any means until the individual adds nicotine. That's a personal choice. A choice that dilutes the full flavor of the yummy ejuices. A choice a smoker cares to make in order to stop smoking cancer sticks. I highly doubt that anyone who doesn't smoke would want to deliberatly dilute the full flavor and deliberatly become addicted to nicotine. Crazy. But I do know that individuals will happily exchange their cancer sticks for the nicotine flavored ecigs with the goal of completlely omiiting the nicotine over time. Zero nicotine is where the flavor is at.

I just wish they'd come out with an electronic snacker. French frys, MacDonalds, potatoe chips, cookies, ... for our obese nation. But they won't. Oh the horror! Isn't that like the ecig?! tremble/shake/faint. lol It's the NAME of the product that gets these non-informed gripers going, not the product itself. Where's a rocket scientist when you need one.