Penstyle issues today

Seems to have been one of those days. To start at the beginning, I've been sampling my 'sample pack' from JC the last couple of days using the carts they send with the kit. Things were going okay though until I started noticing today that the atomizer section was getting really warm. REALLY warm. So then I wondered if I hadn't been putting enough juice in the blank carts which I didn't realize until I pulled one up to see and discovered that, even though 9-10 drops looked like a lot, it wasn't getting any where near to the bottom. Figured maybe that was why the atomizer was getting so warm. So decided to heck with carts. Time to try the dripping method everyone seems to love. So I dropped three drops of the Peach Cobbler with the little dropper that JC sends with the kit. Took out the cart filling. Took a draw and ... YUCK! Horrible taste! When I took the mouthpiece off, the atomizer section was full of horrible smelling vapor. Thought maybe the atomizer was too dry so dripped two more drops in. Same thing. Horrible! Put the cart filling back in, saturated it completely, tried again and, after six or seven bad tasting draws, it finally seems to be ... well ... bearable at least. Not the flavor I was expecting from this one though and still just a touch of ugly smell/taste.

I'd like to start dripping as sometimes wonder about the cart filling, what's in it, etc. but can you tell me what I did wrong? How many drops should I be putting in this thing? Could the atomizer section have been getting so warm because I wasn't filling the carts enough and it got too dry? Do you think I've totally screwed the atomizer now?

I finally found out what model I have. It appears to be a Joye 301. Nothing in the packaging or instruction manual tells me but the picture is identical with the little round circles on the battery. Thanks in advance to all who answer this ...

BTW - I like 'Vapor Talk'! I think it's a great new name for the forum.

The penstyle carts are huge and damn near impossible to fill completly without a syringe and then they take a lilttle more than a full ml, two drops is perfect with the penstyle you don't want to flood it. As for the bad taste it happens sometimes especially when the carts get dry you have two options smoke through it or blow through the back end of the atomizer untill liquid stops coming out the front toss a couple more drops in and try again, when in doubt smoke through it its bound to get better :)

All I smoke is the Penstyle and I can tell you it's totally normal for it to get very hot to the touch. When it's warm, it's ok to still vape, when it gets very hot, I'd put it down for a few minutes and let it cool off a bit.

As for the drops taste being bad after dry smoking I'm really not sure what to tell you. To be honest I've never really used the carts with my Penstyle ever, all my atomizer start to taste funny after a little while (almost a burnt taste) I've told both Royce and Sean about this and both say they don't have this problem, but both of them drip on the carts. (Well I know Sean does not sure about Royce)

At the end of the day it's really whatever works best for you. The problem with the carts has always been the liquid not draining fast enough, if you use the carts you need to vape, put it down and then start again. People have tried all sorts of diffrent methods and nothing has really worked other than dry smoking.

Thought of opening another account in a new name so that you wouldn't know who wrote this :D but okay, here is what is probably a really stupid question but I'm wondering ... is it possible to MISS the atomizer when you are dripping? Just wondered if that could be the reason I got such a horrible experience/taste out of it - that I missed the blasted thing completely. It's kind of a long way down the rabbit hole on the penstyle to where that 'bump' is and ... well ... the drops are kind of tiny ... is there a trick to this? It always looks so simple on the videos. If anyone could totally miss the bumpy thing at the bottom, it would be me!

ha ha no need to open another account. Your just brave enough to ask the question perhaps so many are wondering.

No it's unlikely that you will miss the atomizer, although it's a long way down; the liquid will fall down the sides of the tube until eventually it hits the "bowl" at the bottom in which the atomizer sits. Just remember the half circle piece of metal you see down there isn't actually the heating coil, that is there to protect the coil, the coil is actually underneath that at the very bottom.

Thank you, Chris! That may very well explain what happened as I was trying VERY hard to make sure I dripped right on the bump. I'm wondering if I was trying to vape a dry atomizer and that was the cause of the horrible smell and taste. A bloody miracle I didn't burn it out altogether. Okay, so maybe I'll try dripping again ... maybe .... someday when I have a spare atomizer. ;)