Freemax AutoPod50 VW Pod Kit 2000mAh - Taking Flavour To The Next Level

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the AutoPod50 VW Pod Kit from Freemax. The AutoPod50 VW Pod Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Tina from Freemax.

Introduction

Of course i write the introduction after testing the device and can tell you this device is a bit special. Freemax are renowned for their mesh coils and wicking materials with only Horizontech in my opinion coming close when it comes to flavour and longevity from Sub-ohm mesh coil heads.

The AutoPod50 utilises dual mesh sub-ohm coils which previously we have only seen in sub-ohm tanks bringing flavour for a pod system to an whole new level. The device and pods do have petty cons but adjustable wattage from 5 to 50w, fully adjustable airflow, 2000mAh battery, Type C USB with 2A charging, 30-40 refills on average claimed per coil head and the best flavour i have got from any sort of pod/AIO device means giving the AutoPod50 a good look is a must!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Freemax Autopod50 Mod
1 x Freemax Autopod50 Pod (Freemax Autopod50 AX2 Mesh Coil 0.25ohm)
1 x Extra Freemax Autopod50 AX2 Mesh Coil 0.5ohm
1 x USB Cable
1 x Warning Card
1 x Warranty Card
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The AutoPod50 Kit came in a cardboard box with outer cardboard sleeve which has a picture of the device in the choice of colour on the front. On opening the device with attached pod sits proudly on display in the top layer with all the extra accessories in a separate box below. I received the Black-Red option which is Black at the top which then fuses into a rich Wine Red colour below. The colour options are Green, Black-Red, Blue-Yellow, Gunmetal, Coral or Blue, all colours in my opinion look nice especially the three fused coloured versions but it must be pointed out the high gloss finish attracts fingerprints. If there is anything that needs mentioning is when the face is tapped it does give a cheap hollow sound which is out of character to the device in general but then are people going to be constantly tapping the face of the device to really notice.

The device both looks and feels high quality and the finish is top notch, it does have some weight and size compared to the average pod mod but is still a portable size and has a really curvy ergonomic friendly form factor.

The device is quite plain apart from "Freemax" printed on one side and more branding down the spine but it's much less obtrusive than it looks in the photos. On the face of the device we have a Silver square fire bottom top and vertically positioned Silver navigational rocker bottom, between the fire and navigational buttons we have the Screen.

Moving to the base we have a Type C USB port and venting, finally up top the darkly tinted pod with fixed drip tip protrudes to the rear as the top of the battery section is slanted.

AutoPod50 Specs and Features:

Size: L43.5 x W24.5 x H94mm (Including drip tip)
Pod Capacity: 4ml(Standard) / 2ml(TPD)
Coil Resistance: Autopod50 AX2 Mesh Coil 0.25ohm (30-50W, Best 40W)
Autopod50 AX2 Mesh Coil 0.5ohm (15-35W, Best 30W)
Battery Capacity: 2000mAh
Output Voltage: 0.7-7.5V
Output Wattage: 5-50W
Material: FeCrAl/PCTG/SS904L/Tea Fiber Cotton
First dual mesh coil pod kit
Advanced COILTECH 4.0 for rich flavour
Type-C charge port with 2A quick charge
AX2 coil has average lifespan of 30-40 times refill
Colour: Green, Black-Red, Blue-Yellow, Gunmetal, Coral, Blue

The Pod

The Pod holds 4ml of e-liquid (2ml TPD version) and has a flat top with front section that protrudes out with a piece cutout so when attached to the device a cavity is formed for air to get down to the airflow control section. Protruding from the top section we have a fixed drip-tip which is part of the same moulding so can't be removed.

As long as there is good visibility of the e-liquid i don't mind tinted pods but this is just too dark and although i didn't need to remove the pod to check the level, many times rather than a quick glance i really needed to train my eye on the pod to see the liquid inside.

Looking at the base of the pod with coil head with attached adjustable airflow section installed we can see the central positive and negative surround. To one side we have a Blue silicone section with an easy lift side flap which once removed (it stays attached to the pod) reveals a very generous fill port which also allows air to escape while a nozzle is inserted making filling the pod quick and mess free.

On the underside of the protruding flat top section we have 2 square magnets and to the opposite side of the coil head assembly to the fill port we have a single rectangular magnet, the magnets are dark in colour so quite stealth like.

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the pods bay we have the front top shelve where the flat protruding section of the pod sits, on this shelve is a stealth like dark coloured elongated magnet for the 2 square magnets of the pod to line up with. Further down into the bay we have a 360 degree shelve for the fill section to sit towards the front and to the rear a stealth like rectangular magnet to line up with the rectangular magnet on the pod. Finally we have a deep rectangular area with large Gold plated, spring loaded contacts where the coil head assembly will sit.

The pod fits very securely with no movement whatsoever, you can use the cutout section at the front of the pod which is to allow air down to the coil assembly to lift the pod free or my preferred method is to push on the drip tip that lifts the pod due to it's slanted fit.

The Coils

What sets this apart from other pod/AIO systems i have used previously which is plenty is the coil heads really deliver as will be explained later.

The Coil heads are both dual mesh and beefy in size much more akin to a sub-ohm tank coil head rather than a pod. The mesh material used is military grade SS904L and wicking material is Tea Fiber Cotton. The coil heads have both wicking to the inside parameter of the coil head as well as each coil having it's own individual wicking. Freemax do claim on average 30 to 40 refills per coil head (which i assume is based on the standard 4ml pod) but then do cover their backs somewhat by mentioning this could vary depending on the sweetness or ratio of e-liquid used.

Pre-installed we have the AX2 dual mesh 0.25ohm coil head identified by Yellow o-rings which is rated between 30 - 50w with a best at 40w which i fully agree with. The other included coil head is the AX2 dual mesh 0.50ohm coil head identified by Green o-rings which is rated between 15 - 35w with a best at 30w which i personally preferred at 25w.

The pre-installed coil head comes with the airflow control section already installed but when changing coils this needs unscrewing and screwing back onto the new coil head. The coil head with airflow base section attached just gets press fitted into place and is sealed by o-rings, to remove just pull the coil head assembly out.

The Airflow

The AutoPod50 has adjustable airflow which is executed by having a screw on base assembly which includes dual cyclops airflow control ring which screws onto the bottom of the coil head before installing into the pod.

At the front of the device where the pod meets the chassis of the device as mentioned there is a cutout section to allow air to travel down to the base section to enter the airflow slots. The slots are a decent size and the ring adjusts with a nice tolerance. Most pod/AIO devices either don't have adjustable airflow or if they do it's very limited but this has full adjustability, excellent!

The Display

The display isn't the largest but is bright and sharp and i had no issues reading all the information provided.

To the left of the display we have the puff count top and total vape time bottom, both can be reset independently in the menu system. To the far write of the display we have a vertically positioned battery status bar and next to this at the top is the resistance, underneath the resistance is the voltage. The central area of the display is the wattage which while the fire button is held down displays the time of your current vape.

Navigating The AutoPod50

The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off, once on pressing evenly on the navigational rocker locks and unlocks the navigational rocker but the device will still fire, the only other combination key press feature is fire and down together flips the display.

The AutoPod50 is a very simple device which adjusts in 1w increments from 5 to 50w which is all that's needed for the available coils. The device though does have a little menu system which is accessed by 3 quick presses of the fire button which allows you to scroll between Set, info or Exit. Info gives current battery voltage, operational temperature of the device and firmware version.

With Set highlighted clicking fire allows you to scroll through the settings which are Screen Timeout (can adjust), Puff (can be reset), Time (which is total time vaped which again can be reset), Factory Reset and Exit. That's it! a very simple user friendly device.

Protections

Low Resistance Protection
Open Circuit Protection
10s Timeout Protection
Short Circuit Protection
High-temp Protection
Low Voltage Protection

Charging

The AutoPod50 has Type C USB and a 2A charge rate which is a big pro on both counts. A battery status bar is displayed while charging and if you are in a hurry and just need a reasonable amount of battery life the device will charge to 50% in just 30 minutes while a full charge takes 80 minutes which for a 2000mAh battery is excellent!

It's not all pros though as the AutoPod50 stands up just like a regular device but due to the USB port being on the base it needs lying down while charging which i don't like.

How It Vapes And Thoughts!

I have been using the device a while alongside other devices but because i wanted to check whether the coil head longevity was comfortably above average have used it as my main device for the last 3 days which was no chore as the vape quality and flavour i am getting is outstanding!

I first swapped for the 0.5ohm coil head checking out swapping over the detachable base section and just vaped a couple of pods full of e-liquid and the flavour blew me away, it was just like vaping with the Fireluke 2 and absolutely no break-in period, top-notch flavour straight off the bat.

I then swapped back to the 0.25ohm coil head which i have used continuously since checking longevity. The flavour i am getting from the 0.25ohm coil head is easily a match for the 0.5ohm and again no break-in time whatsoever. The airflow adjustment works really well allowing for a good variation of direct lung restriction but with both coils closing the airflow down to just slightly open even allows for a loose MTL.

I suppose some may consider having to remove the pod to adjust airflow as a con but as most pod/AIO systems either have limited airflow adjustment or none at all and doing the airflow another way could take away from it's smooth draw and great flavour then not a con for me. I have lost count how many times i have refilled the pod while using the 0.25ohm coil head but went past what i would consider average longevity a good few refills ago and the flavour i am getting is still as good as the first pod full.

Battery life for a Pod Mod/AIO device is also very favourable and no issues with efficiency, you get good value from the 2000mAh battery. I also like it has both Type C USB and a 2A charge rate making charging quick and reliable while i really don't like the USB port being positioned on the base.

The only other cons i have is although i didn't need to remove the pod to check juice level i did in some light have to really train my eye to see and can imagine someone with not good eyesight may struggle, it's too darkly tinted in my opinion. The attached drip tip is comfortable but would still prefer a detachable one with standard 510 fitting and i wish it had top-fill as needing to remove pods to fill i find a pain and these coil heads are thirsty beasts, luckily i was sent the 4ml version but can only imagine the constant refilling of the 2ml pod.

I write reviews and put my likes and cons but rarely go as far as recommending products as i believe people should read and watch as many reviews as possible and do their own research to make an informed decision but i have to stick my neck out with this one, it's absolutely fantastic!

Very good build quality
Vibrant coloured finishes
Ergonomic form factor
Aesthetically pleasing
Portable device
Pod doesn't need removing to check liquid level (although pod could be lighter)
Pod fits securely (no movement whatsoever)
User friendly user interface
5 to 50w in 1w increments
Puff counter
Comfortable drip tip
2 different coil heads included
Dual Mesh sub-ohm coils with Tea Fiber wicking
Both coil heads fantastic flavour (good mesh sub-ohm tank flavour)
No break-in period whatsoever
Well above average coil head longevity (30 to 40 refills claimed) i lost count but excellent
Fills quick and mess free
Detachable base airflow assembly
Fully adjustable airflow, smooth across the board
2000mAh battery
Type C USB
2A charge rate

Cons

Pod darkly tinted
Pod needs removing to fill
Coil heads very thirsty (but means bags of flavour)
Fixed attached drip tip
USB port on base of device
Fingerprint magnet

I would once again like to thank Tina from Freemax for supplying the AutoPod50 VW Pod Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines