Geekvape Aegis Max with Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Kit

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the Aegis Max with Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Kit from Geekvape. The Aegis Max Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Clay from Geekvape.

Introduction

When the original Aegis was released their was a bit of a buzz about it, almost indestructible, firing time to rival the Drag and battery options that included a 26650. Then we had more recently the Legend a dual battery version followed by the Mini with an inbuilt battery, the Solo and the list goes on. The Aegis Max is a single battery 100W device with the same form factor as the Solo but just slightly bigger allowing it to accommodate a 21700 battery for better performance and increased battery life. The better performance at higher wattage has allowed the Max to be paired up with the Zeus Sub-ohm tank while it's size is still compact and portable. like many i love the Solo with the only con worth mentioning being it only accommodates an 18650 which compromised it's high end performance between 70 to 100W (an 18650 just doesn't cut it) so here we are a 21700 version, let's check it out!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Aegis Max Mod
1 x USB Cable
1 x User manual
1 x Spare parts pack
1 x 18650 battery adapter
1 x Battery door assist tool
1 x Zeus Tank (Pre-installed: Z2 Coil (Mesh Coil 0.2ohm, 70-80W) 5ml (2ml TPD))
1 x Coil tool
1 x Spare glass tube 3.5ml (2ml TPD)
1 x Z1 Coil (Mesh Coil 0.4ohm, 60-70W)

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Aegis Max Kit came in the usual Black cardboard box that Geekvape samples come packaged in and once opened i was met by a familiar looking Aegis device (Aegis Solo) but just slightly bigger dimensions. The Max's aesthetics are very busy due to the use of many different durable materials, making the device look as solid as it is. The materials used include, LSR Silicone, Die-Cast Aluminium, Die-Cast Zinc Alloy, Leather and Stainless Steel. I received the Black Space version, it' also available in Black Tungsten, Grey Pearl, Red Phoenix and White Storm, all versions come with a Zeus Sub-ohm tank in a colour that suits the device.

Looking at the device from the side towards the front we have army grade black silicone, then we have a Metal bracket in the colour of choice which helps secure the padded leather on the spine. The front has a rhombus shaped light switch style fire button at the top, at the bottom we have the - and + buttons that match the style of the fire button, between the navigational buttons and fire button we have a large screen.

The spine of the device as already mentioned has a leather cover which has padding underneath for comfort, the base of the device has a battery plate with fold in lever and on one side is a silicone bung for the micro USB port. Moving to the top of the device the rear is rounded and has a large 28mm 510 plate, the 510 connection is Gold plated and spring loaded. Ergonomically the Max like the Solo is superb and doesn't suffer in this regard with it's increased size, with the cushioned leather and position of the fire button it is very comfortable to use. The build quality is as good as it gets and the Max is as solid as the rest of the Aegis family.

İmageİmage
İmageİmage

Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 26 x 42.5mm (Not including Drip tip)
Capacity: 5ml (2ml TPD) Spare glass tube 3.5ml (2ml TPD)
Drip tip type: 810 Drip Tip
Filling Method: Top Fill
Mesh Z1 coil 0.4ohm (60-70W)
Mesh Z2 coil 0.2ohm (70-80W)(pre-installed)
Innovative quick change prebuilt coil system
Direct Top Airflow & Top-to-Bottom Airflow with leak-proof function
Updated fill port design for liquid spillage resistance
Thread: 510
Colours: Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Black, Blue, Gold, Rainbow, Red (Colour to suit colour of device in regards to this kit)

Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Various Parts

Starting at the top we have a wide bore goon fit delrin 810 drip tip which can be swapped for one of your own if you prefer, no second option or 510 adaptor is provided unless it's included with the retail version but the pre-installed 810 i have no issues with. The top-cap screws off (the usual bayonet design so just a slight turn needed) as does the base section. The glass can be wiggled free as it's secured top and bottom with o-rings and can be replaced with the straight 3.5ml glass (the TPD version comes with 2ml glass only but you do get a spare). The airflow control ring can also be easily removed which leaves the juice port and airflow intake section with attached double walled chamber. The coils get press fitted into the chamber and the base section has a positive plate for the bottom of the coil to make contact with. We get all the usual spare o-rings and also a coil removal tool which is a nice touch but personally i didn't find any need for it.

The Airflow

The Zeus Sub-ohm Tank has a top to bottom airflow system with large dual airflow slots that are fully adjustable. You also have a double walled chamber so the air comes in through the slots, down the cavity between the two chamber walls and into the base section. Now we have the air in the base section just as you would if the tank had bottom airflow slots and this air enters the coil head from underneath in the usual manner giving bottom airflow, it's just taking the top to bottom airflow concept of the Zeus RTA's and implementing it in the least complicated way. I don't like to say leakproof but the system gives the Zeus Sub-ohm tank the same leak resistance that we have seen with the Zeus RTA's.

The Coils and Fitting Them

The Zeus Subohm tank has 2 available coils which are both kanthal mesh and included. Pre-installed we have the Z2 0.2ohm mesh coil head which is rated between 70-80W. The other included coil is the Z1 0.4ohm coil head which has a rating between 60-70W, the specs are etched onto the coil head shell.

The mesh is more of a Notch style giving plenty of surface area with large gaps between so wicking will be no issue as was once the case with the first generation notch style designs, the coils also have 4 very large wicking holes.

The coil head simply gets press fitted into the chamber and pulled out to remove, if you have any problems pulling the coil head out you do receive a tool to help but i have had no issues. Looking on the chamber we can see 2 large wicking ports to allow e-liquid to surround the coil head as the chambers main purpose was to deliver airflow from the top to the bottom and having plug in coils is cleverly taking advantage of having the chamber present.

Filling The Tank

With my first Zeus Sub-ohm tank the airflow control ring was a bit too loose which was a petty con but the one i received in this kit was perfect. It turns with nice resistance and has stoppers, how tight the airflow control is maybe hit or miss or more likely it's been improved as my first tank was an original sample version.

The top-cap is less than half a turn and it's off, it's the same bayonet design Geekvape have used on previously Zeus atty's. Once off the 2 kidney shaped fill ports are revealed which are quite narrow so large nozzles and glass droppers won't fit but most standard nozzles will be fine. Luckily there is quite a deep channel between the edge of the tank and air pipe section so it won't be messy if using larger nozzles, as any juice will gather in the channel and find it's way into the ports. Once filled just position the bayonet tabs in place push down and give it a slight turn.

Aegis Max Specs and Features:

Output power: 5-100W
Input voltage: 3.2V-4.2V
Output voltage: 0.1-8V
Minimum voltage: 3.3V ± 0.1V
Longest output/vaping time: 10s
Charger voltage USB Micro: 5V1.5A
Battery: 21700/18650(single battery, not included)
Temperature control: 100°C-315°C/200°F-600°F
Compatible with 21700/18650 battery
Powerful function in small size
Easy adjustment of power and temperature
Multiple protections for a safe vaping
Waterproof, Shockproof and Dust-proof
Colours: Black Tungsten, Grey Pearl, Black Space, Red Phoenix, White Storm

Aegis Max Vs Aegis Solo

The Aegis Max is basically the Aegis solo but just slightly bigger so it will accommodate a 21700 battery as well as an 18650. The device isn't just slightly taller but all dimensions are greater in comparison to keep the exact same form factor.

Aegis Solo

Height: 86.4mm
Width: 31.5mm
Depth: 41.2mm

Aegis Max

Height: 93mm
Width: 34mm
Depth: 46.3

The only aesthetic difference is the branding is now embossed on to the bracket rather than the Rubber casing and although still having the same light switch style functionality the buttons are a different shape, the device itself operates exactly the same with now improved performance at higher wattage and greater battery life when using a 21700 battery.

Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof

Like the other Aegis devices It's a durable mod and although no-one including Geekvape will suggest going diving with it or throwing the device from a 9th floor window you would have to go some to break the device by accident. Made from many different durable materials (6 in total) including army grade silicone it will take some knocks. The device is IP67 waterproof which means it will withstand being immersed in water up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 mins and there's some clever ways the Aegis Max is a fully operating device yet waterproof. When looking at the device you might think well water will get in there, there and there etc but there is a way it is kept sealed everywhere.

Fitting The Battery

The Aegis Max accommodates a single 21700 battery but by using the supplied adaptor will also house an 18650 instead. The battery gets fitted via the bottom of the device, we have a removable battery plate with lift up lever like we have seen before on the original Aegis, Solo, Sigelei Evaya and Jackaroo to name four devices. Unscrewing the plate and screwing back on does take a bit of time that impatient people might not like but i like this method of fitting batteries as it's very secure and no risk of damaging your battery wrap. The plate has a fitted o-ring to complete the watertight seal and you also receive an assist tool to get it super tight, battery orientation is clearly marked both inside the battery tube and on the underside of the screw plate so a really good job all round!

Navigating the Aegis Max

The Max is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and it has a large bright screen with a very clear layout, it does have a tinted cover which although didn't make viewing the screen impossible outdoors it was more difficult. There are some combination key press functions which are, + and fire together increases the brightness of the screen, - and fire together decreases the brightness of the screen and - and + together locks the navigational buttons.

The screen displays the mode at the top, underneath the mode is the wattage (temperature when in temp control), underneath wattage/temp is the battery status bar, The wattage/temp and battery bar are both within an highlighted area.

Next we have the resistance, followed by the amps (wattage when in temp control), then the volts (TCR value when in temp control) and finally puffs (only goes to 999 and then goes back to 000 as i found out) which when you vape changes to time vaped and then goes back to puffs afterwards.

Pressing the fire button 3 times highlights the mode which now can be changed. When highlighted each press of the + button takes you to the next mode and if you overshoot the - button takes you back, the modes are Power, TC-Ni, TC-SS, TC-Ti, TCR, VPC (variable power curve, usually called CCW) and Bypass. while the mode is highlighted a press of the fire button highlights resistance which can be locked and another press highlights puffs which can be reset. If you use temp control then when the mode you want is highlighted each press of the fire button takes you to the next item on the screen you can alter, you can as already mentioned lock resistance and also set wattage.

The interface is very uncomplicated and those that have the original Aegis, Mini, Solo or Legend will be very familiar with it.

Charging

As always i don't recommend charging batteries in the device unless it's your only option but if you do so or if there is an unexpected firmware upgrade there is a silicone plug on the side of the device which needs pulling out (it remains attached to the device). We have a standard micro USB port and although many will never use the port i have to be consistent and make it a con that this isn't Type C. The charge rate is 1.5A which is acceptable so pretty happy.

My Experience Using The Kit And Thoughts!

I did use the Zeus Sub-Ohm tank but only with the Z2 0.2ohm coil as i just wanted to see how the Max performed at higher wattage, the tank and these coils i have used before reviewing the Sub-ohm tank separately and also having it included in the Aegis X Kit.

The Zeus Sub-ohm tank is without doubt a premium tank offering plug in coil design, quick mess free top-fill and leakproof top to bottom airflow design. It gives plenty of air for most with good airflow adjustability to get the restriction you like. Both available coils are quite high wattage although i find they give cracking flavour and plenty of warmth at their lower rating but both coils handle even higher than their ratings without any issues. I had the Z2 coil up at 90W and the Max seemed to be giving that before i settled for 70W which is the wattage i usually vape the coil at. If i have any criticism of the tank it's more that after being released for over a year their are still only 2 coil options and would like a coil that allows for slightly less wattage.

When it comes to the Max apart from the now obligatory con for any new device hat doesn't have type C i just don't have any. I really liked the Solo with the only real complaint being it didn't accommodate a 21700 but here we have it under the name of the Max. the IP67 and great ergonomics etc are all up to the usual Aegis standards so really like this a lot. As well as the included Zeus Sub-ohm Tank i tried several RTA's on the Max from the Wotofo Cog at low wattage right up to the Aromamizer Plus V2 RDTA that i am testing which at 30mm sits on the Max with no overhang whatsoever, and finally i am enjoying the extra battery life a 21700 gives. For what the Aegis Max offers at it's price point it must be currently in the running for best single battery device of 2020, it's a winner!

İmageİmage

Build Quality
Build Materials
Comfort of use
Compact, portable
Waterproof
Dustproof
Shockproof
Fires Instantly
Solid, no rattles
Fire button nice and clicky
30mm tanks without overhang
Curves
Temp control (not tested)
Large, good layout display
Easy to use
Firmware upgradeable
Great performance
Accommodates 21700 battery
Good battery life
18650 adaptor included
Zeus Sub-Ohm Tank (great premium tank inclusion)
Leakproof top to bottom airflow design
Quick mess free top-fill
Plug in coils
5ml capacity (standard version)
Spare glass
Both the Z1 and Z2 coils give good flavour (up there with the better mesh coils)

Cons

Not Type C USB
Wish there was more coil options for Zeus Sub-ohm Tank

I would once again like to thank Clay from Geekvape for supplying the Aegis Max with Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines