Lost Vape Q Ultra Pod System Kit - The Best Orion Yet?

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the Q Ultra Pod System Kit from Lost Vape. The Q Ultra Pod System Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Carrie from Lost Vape.

Introduction

Lost Vape changed what was thought possible with Pod systems with the release of the Orion DNA Go followed by the alternative proprietary Quest version. Here we have Lost Vape's answer to the latest Pod trend the Pod Mod with the Q-Ultra Pod System which keeps the same Orion styling while having more traditional variable wattage rather than preset outputs, added is a screen, increased battery life and also has an RBA Coil head available, let's crack on and give it a look!

In The Box

Contents:

Lost Vape Q-Ultra device
Pod (4ml standard / 2ml TPD edition)
Ultra Boost M2 0.6ohm coil – installed
Ultra Boost MTL coil 1ohm
USB cable – Type C
User manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Q-Ultra came in cardboard box packaging with everything fitted on one layer in compartments. I received the Carbon Fiber Black version which although nice would actually of been my last pic as there are some really nice colour/design options. The options are Carbon Fiber Black, Nebula Purple, Marble White, Leather Black, Linen Grey and Exotic Fantasy.

The form factor including the style of the pod is the same as the previous Orion DNA and Quest devices just bigger and with an added screen. Despite it's increased size it's still a nice portable device and comfortable in the hand. The build quality is excellent as with previous Lost vape devices.

Q-Ultra Specs and Features:

Size: 105×43.2×16.5mm
Output: 5-40W
Battery: 1600mAh (internal)
Display: Screen – 0.69in OLED
Resistance range: 0.15-3ohm
E-liquid capacity: 4ml (Standard) / 2ml (TPD)
Pods: Refillable, replaceable coil
Coil options: Ultra Boost Coil Range – including RBA option
USB Type C charging (70 mins charging time approx)
Top adjustable airflow
Top fill cap
Multiple Protections
Colour/Design: Carbon Fiber Black, Nebula Purple, Marble White, Leather Black, Linen Grey, Exotic Fantasy

Why No DNA Version First?

We have been use with the Orion devices for Lost Vape to first bring out a version with the DNA Go Chipset first followed by a cheaper version using their own proprietary chipset. This time we move straight to a Quest device so why not a DNA Go version first! The problem is although using the DNA Go software allows you to tailor the device to just how you want it the DNA Go Escribe software itself is very rigid in regards that it's only set-up for 0.5 & 0.25ohm resistence coils and to set different parameters for presets so won't work with regular adjustable wattage.

The Pods

Of late only receiving one pod with pod devices is becoming the unfortunate trend so a big pro for the fact you receive both the 0.6ohm coil (pre-installed) and the 1.0ohm coil. The pod gets fixed into place via a catch that has a release switch on the side of the device towards the top, the switch and locking mechanism seems very durable and the pod snaps into place very securely. The whole of the pod is visible and the pod is not as darkly tinted as the pods for the Orion Go or original Orion Q, in fact they are just slightly tinted and the e-liquid can be clearly seen with no problems whatsoever.

The pod has a proprietary Delrin drip tip which is very comfortable between the lips, we also have adjustable airflow which is found at the base of the drip tip. The airflow control is dual mini cyclops and there is some texturing for grip, it moves with possibly the best tolerance yet out of all the Orion family of devices and is much better than on the previous Orion and Quest devices.

Also on the top of the pod we have a cap with texturing for grip, this is for filling the pod so the pod doesn't need removing to fill. The threading on the cap is good and an o-ring completes the seal, the fill hole is very generous so even glass droppers will be fine. The pod holds 4ml (2ml TPD edition) of e-liquid.

İmageİmage

Fitting The Coils

To remove a coil unlike on the previous versions of the Orion and Quest devices there is no need to remove the drip tip and the coil can simply be pulled out. Installing a new coil head is just the simple task of press fitting into place, much improved and so much easier!

İmageİmage

Available Coils

Pre-installed we have the Ultra boost M2 0.6ohm coil which is a single mesh coil and rated between 20w and 28w. The other included coil is the Ultra boost MTL 1.0ohm coil which is rated between 8w and 15w.

Not included but also available is the Ultra boost M1 0.3ohm Coil which is rated between 30w and 40w. Also an RBA coil head can be purchased separately which will appeal to many.

RBA Coil Head

The RBA coil head that can be purchased separately does look fiddly but very functional. It has 2 tall cylindrical posts, bottom airflow and 2 wicking channels, it also comes with a 510 adaptor piece so while building it can be fitted on a regular device or ohms reader.

The RBA comes with 3 coils, cotton. spare o-rings, grub screws and an allen key.

The Display

The Q-Ultra has a 0.69" screen which outputs a sharp and bright display with all the information required present without being over cluttered. The font for certain information is small so could present a problem for those with not great eyesight but most will be very happy.

Top left we have an horizontal battery status bar and bottom left the resistance. The centre area of the screen displays your wattage and then top right is the time of your vape and bottom right the puff counter.

Display looks blurred on photo but is in fact very sharp!

Navigating The Q-Ultra

The Q-Ultra is a very simple device which just requires you to dial your wattage in and then vape. The device is the familiar 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and when on the wattage can be adjusted in 0.5W increments from 5W to 40W, the adjustments round robin.

We do have a couple of combination key press features which are holding down + and fire at the same time locks the + and - buttons but the device will still fire, repeating the process unlocks the buttons. Finally holding down the - and fire together resets the puff counter, that's it!

Charging The Device

The device has type C USB which is very good to see and although the charge rate isn't given going by how long it has been taking to charge it seems to be at 1.5A which for a pod system is excellent.

The device has been taking between 70 and 80 minutes to charge which again for a 1600mAh battery is very good but the device doesn't support pass-through.

P.S Yes just spotted in the manual charge rate is 5V/1.5A! (try reading manuals Tim it might help).

Protections

Overheat Protection
Short-Circuit Protection
Overcharge Protection
Low Voltage Protection
10S Overtime Protection

How it Vapes? And My Thoughts!

The first thing to point out is just how beefy these Ultra boost coil heads are, they would look very at home in a sub-ohm tank and not the smaller size we usually have to fit in pod systems even the MTL coil head has quite some substance!

The Q-Ultra with those mentioned beefy coil heads is the best Orion type device to date but only for Restrictive direct lung vapers as with the MTL coil although a MTL is perfectly possible the draw falls far short of a cigarette type draw and is on the loose side, you can also quite comfortably use it for a restrictive lung hit.

I also received the 0.3ohm coil that isn't included in the kit and both this and the included 0.6ohm coil (both mesh) give a cracking restricted direct lung vape and of course the airflow can be closed down for more restriction if required. The Q-Ultra allows for a much warmer vape than on most pod/AIO devices and my favourite coil the 0.6ohm i found warm enough on it's lowest rating of 20W but can comfortably be taken up to 30W if you like a much warmer vape. With the 0.3ohm coil i was bang in the middle of the rating at 35W and found this best with fully open airflow while the 0.6ohm coil i closed the airflow down about a quarter.

The flavour not just with the two mesh coils but also the round wire MTL coil is well above average for a pod/AIO system and the best from Lost Vape yet, i also have had no issues with wicking even when using 70VG liguid, flooding or leaking. I have used all 3 coils a fair bit but the 0.6ohm the most as i have found this the pick and to date i have had 7 refills of the pod with this coil and i have the 4ml pod. Fair enough i fill when 1ml is still left in the pod but that's still 21ml and i'm still getting good flavour so no issues about longevity. Also especially when using the 0.3ohm coil and possibly when using the RBA head then the device is being used at higher wattage than previous Orion devices but to compensate we have a much bigger 1600mAh battery which compares well against other devices of this kind and in general battery life i found to be very good.

Any cons i have apart from it doesn't give an authentic MTL style vape are pretty petty. Not so much now but for a while when first using the device because the pod release clip is more prominent than the fire button i did find myself pressing this to fire at times before realising my mistake. It was just pressing it and not moving it upwards to release the pod so nothing major and soon got use to the right area for the fire button. Another minor issue is not with the MTL coil but with the 2 mesh coils very occasionally giving a spit, but it isn't often or over vicious but worth mentioning. Being able to fit my own 510 would be preferable (although the drip tip sleeve is comfortable) and of course like all these devices that have an RBA available, if you want to sell many more kits include the RBA!

Very good build quality
6 Interesting designs
Pocket friendly, comfortable in hand
Comfortable drip tip
Adjustable airflow
Replaceable Coils
1.0ohm regular MTL coil included
0.6ohm Mesh coil included
0.3ohm Mesh coil also available
RBA head also available
Large 1600mAh Battery (compared to average pod devices)
Battery charges on average in 75 minutes (excellent)
Type C USB
Screen
Battery status bar
Puff counter
Adjustable wattage 5W to 40W in 0.5W increments
Pods fit with durable catch (release switch on side of device)
Pods fit very securely
Top fill with generous fill port
Can clearly see juice level
4ml Capacity (standard version)
Coils have next to no break in time
Very good flavour from all 3 available coils
Wicks fine with all types of juices i used (up to 70VG)
No flooding or leaking
Above average longevity
Performed well with instant ramp up
Really good price (in my opinion)

Cons

Only a loose MTL for MTL vapers (restricted lung vapers are well catered for)
Found myself occasionally pressing release clip to fire in error
Occasional Spit from mesh coils
Proprietary Drip tip
RBA head not included
Doesn't support pass-through

I would once again like to thank Carrie from Lost Vape for supplying the Q-Ultra Pod System Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines