Geekvape Aegis X Zeus Kit

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, in this review i take a look at the Aegis X 200W TC Kit with Zeus Sub-ohm Tank from Geekvape. The Aegis X 200W TC Kit with Zeus Sub-ohm Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Clay from Geekvape.

Introduction

When the original Aegis was released their was a bit of a buzz about it, almost indestructible, firing time to rival the Drag and battery options that included a 26650. Then more recently we had the Legend a dual battery version followed by the Mini and Solo giving smaller options with either an inbuilt battery or single 18650.

The Aegis range of devices just keep coming with 3 more released almost simultaneously, the Aegis Squonk adding a squonking option, Aegis Boost giving an Pod/AIO to the Aegis family and This the Aegis X which is a dual 18650 200W TC device with full face colour screen and a brand new menu system, Is the Aegis X the ultimate Aegis? I give my opinion!

In The Box

Contents:

5ml Standard Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
1 x Zeus Sub-Ohm Tank (Pre-installed: Mesh Z2 Coil 0.2ohm, 70-80W, capacity 5ml)
1 x Mesh Z1 coil (0.4ohm, 60-70W)
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 3.5ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

2ml TPD Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
1 x Zeus Sub-Ohm Tank (Pre-installed: Mesh Z2 Coil 0.2ohm, 70-80W, capacity 2ml)
1 x Mesh Z1 coil (0.4ohm, 60-70W)
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 2ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Aegis X Kit came in cardboard box with sleeve packaging and once opened i was met by the familiar Aegis Look apart from one side which has a full face colour screen. Like the other Aegis devices the X's aesthetics are very busy due to the use of many different durable materials making the device look as solid as it is in practice. The materials used include, LSR Silicone, Die-Cast Aluminium, Die-Cast Zinc Alloy, Leather and Stainless Steel.

I received the Green & Black version which is actually all Black apart from the metallic Green Bracket, it came with a Black Sub-ohm Tank. The Aegis X colour options are Stealth Black, Gunmetal & Camo, Classic Silver, Gold & Black, Green & Black, Rainbow & Black, Red & Black and Signature Orange, all versions come with a Zeus Sub-ohm Tank to suit.

Looking at the device from the side opposite the screen we have the familiar metallic bracket with leather covering the spine but ending short of sweeping around the entire spine as we have a full face screen one side. The face of the device has the familiar light switch fire button and further down very tactile navigational buttons. The base houses the sealed battery door with grooved sliding catch then moving up top we have a central Gold plated, spring loaded 510. To one side on the top of the device we have a large deep fitting silicone bung to one side that seals the micro USB port. The device has great ergonomics being equally as comfortable finger or thumb firing with either hand. The build quality is as good as it gets and the Aegis X is one sturdy, robust mod but i am finding it a bit too heavy personally for carrying around with me.

Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 26 x 42.5mm (Not including Drip tip)
Materials: Stainless Steel, Silicone Glass
Capacity: 5ml(Spare glass tube 3.5ml) /2ml TPD version
Drip tip type: 810 Drip Tip
Filling Method: Top Fill
Airflow: Top to Bottom
Mesh Z1 coil 0.4ohm (60-70W)
Mesh Z2 coil 0.2ohm (70-80W)(pre-installed)
Innovative quick change prebuilt coil system
Z mesh coil, purer flavor & great clouds
Direct Top Airflow & Top-to-Bottom Airflow with leak-proof function
Quick slide coil design for easy operation
Updated fill port design for liquid spillage resistance
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Gunmetal, Stainless Steel, Red, Blue, Gold, Rainbow

Zeus Sub-ohm Tank Various Parts

Starting at the top we have a wide bore goon fit delrin 810 drip tip which can be swapped for one of your own if you prefer, no second option or 510 adaptor is provided unless it's included with the retail version but the pre-installed 810 i have no issues with. The top-cap screws off (the usual bayonet design so just a slight turn needed) as does the base section. The glass can be wiggled free as it's secured top and bottom with o-rings and can be replaced with the straight 3.5ml glass (the TPD version comes with 2ml glass only but you do get a spare). The airflow control ring can also be easily removed which leaves the juice port and airflow intake section with attached double walled chamber. The coils get press fitted into the chamber and the base section has a positive plate for the bottom of the coil to make contact with. We get all the usual spare o-rings and also a coil removal tool which is a nice touch but personally i didn't find any need for it.

The Airflow

The Zeus Subohm Tank has a top to bottom airflow system with large dual airflow slots that are fully adjustable. You also have an double walled chamber so the air comes in through the slots, down the cavity between the two chamber walls and into the base section. Now we have the air in the base section just as you would if the tank had bottom airflow slots and this air enters the coil head from underneath in the usual manner giving bottom airflow, it's just taking the top to bottom airflow concept of the Zeus RTA's and implementing it in the least complicated way. I don't like to say leakproof but the system gives the Zeus Subohm tank the same leak resistance that we have seen with the Zeus RTA's.

The Coils and Fitting Them

The Zeus Subohm tank has 2 available coils which are both kanthal mesh and included. Pre-installed we have the Z2 0.2ohm mesh coil head which is rated between 70-80W. The other included coil is the Z1 0.4ohm coil head which has a rating between 60-70W, the specs are etched onto the coil head shell.

The mesh is more of a Notch style giving plenty of surface area with large gaps between so wicking will be no issue as was once the case with the first generation notch style designs, the coils also have 4 very large wicking holes.

The coil head simply gets press fitted into the chamber and pulled out to remove, if you have any problems pulling the coil head out you do receive a tool to help but i have had no issues. Looking on the chamber we can see 2 large wicking ports to allow e-liquid to surround the coil head as the chambers main purpose was to deliver airflow from the top to the bottom and having plug in coils is cleverly taking advantage of having the chamber present.

Filling The Tank

I need to be picky with the Zeus Subohm tank to find cons so here'e one, and that's the airflow control ring is slightly loose. It actually turns nicely with stoppers and i have no issues with it's operation but when removing the top-cap sometimes the control ring also jumps off the tank, it's nothing major and mine is a sample version.

The top-cap is less than half a turn and it's off, it's the same bayonet design Geekvape have used on previously Zeus atty's. Once off the 2 kidney shaped fill ports are revealed which are quite narrow so large nozzles and glass droppers won't fit but most standard nozzles will be fine. Luckily there is quite a deep channel between the edge of the tank and air pipe section so it won't be messy if using larger nozzles, as any juice will gather in the channel and find it's way into the ports. Once filled just position the bayonet tabs in place push down and give it a slight turn.

Aegis X Specs and Features:

Battery: 2x 18650 Cell (not included)
Input Voltage: 6.2V-8.4V
Output Voltage: 0.1-12V
Output Wattage: 5-200W
Resistance Range: 0.05Ω-3Ω
Display: 2.4 inch OLED screen
Charger: USB 5V 2A
Output mode: Power/VPC/TC/TCR/Bypass
Temperature range: 100℃~315℃ / 200℉~600℉
200W max power by dual 18650 batteries
Innovative AS 2.0 chipset for strong power support
VW/TC/VPC modes, high speed & accurate operation
Waterproof/Dustproof/Shockproof design for stable use
Clear Colour OLED display for details tracking
Thread: 510
Colours: Stealth Black, Gunmetal & Camo, Classic Silver, Gold & Black, Green & Black, Rainbow & Black, Red & Black, Signature Orange

Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof

It's a great durable mod and although no-one including Geekvape will suggest going diving with it or throwing the device from a 9th floor window you would have to go some to break the device by accident. Made from many different durable materials (6 in total) including army grade silicone it will take some knocks. The device is IP67 waterproof which means it will withstand being immersed in water up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 mins and there's some clever ways the Aegis X is a fully operating device yet waterproof. When looking at the device you might think well water will get in there, there and there etc but there is a way it is kept sealed everywhere.

Fitting The Batteries

The Aegis X accommodates dual 18650 batteries that get fitted via the bottom battery hatch door. We have a strong grooved catch which needs pulling back to allow the door to open on it's spring. The catch is sturdy and needs quite a strong pull and also closing the door takes a bit of effort but for me not really a con because to keep this kind of design waterproof it has to be done this way and it does make it extremely secure so no chance of this door opening on it's own. Battery orientation is labelled at the bottom of the tubes but is just embossed small on the inside of the door so we have a Gold on Gold situation which isn't very visible and i would of liked this much clearer.

The Display

The Aegis X has a high definition full face 2.4inch display which makes it very easy to read and the use of colour and excellent layout makes the display very aesthetically pleasing. Their is a choice of 3 themes but all present the same information in pretty much the same way so i will describe the layout with the default theme mine came with.

At the top of the display to either side we have the battery status indication bars then all the rest of the information has a central orientation. Next we have the Memory slot being used then underneath this to the left is the mode then next to this the preheat if in Power mode or supplementary information in other modes. To complete the upper section of the display we then have wattage, temperature or voltage depending which mode you are in.

The bottom half of the display has the coil resistance then underneath this the voltage which shows wattage instead in TC or Bypass modes. Next is the Amps followed finally by the puff count which changes to the time of your puff when vaping.

Navigating the Aegis X

The Aegis X is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on there is some combination key press functions. Pressing both navigational buttons together locks the navigational keys but the device will still fire, also pressing both navigational buttons and fire together turns the screen off as this is stealth mode but again the device will still fire.

The device uses memory slots as your working screens so you have to be using a memory slot but each one of the 4 slots can be set up as you wish and the one in use can be altered on the fly just like you would alter any other regulated device.
To start altering your working screen or change memory slots is 3 clicks of the fire button which highlights the memory slot which now can be altered with the navigational buttons. Whether you wish to change the memory slot or not once ready another click of the fire button highlights the mode and you now can scroll through the different options which are Power, VPC (custom curve), Bypass, TC SS, TC Ni, TC Ti and TCR although you can alter TCR value on the different TC wire screens. Pressing fire again highlights the preheat (or TCR value) which can be changed between standard, powerful of soft and another press of the fire button highlights the coil resistance and allows you to lock it. Finally pressing the fire button again highlights puffs for resetting or setting a puff limit.

So all the basic vaping settings are on this first level and is very user friendly but we do have more settings which takes a bit of getting use to accessing and feel the overall menu could flow better. To access the other settings we first need to press the fire button 3 times as before to be in the menu system and then hold down both navigational buttons for 3 seconds, we then get the other settings displayed in a list which are Auto, Theme, Colour, Version, ABB and Reset. Version and Reset are self explanatory so i will move to Auto which gives you the option if the device asks you if it's an old or new coil. ABB is for the device to use your batteries balanced and i guess this would need to be on for balanced charging. Theme allows you to choose between 3 different display themes and colour allows you to choose between 5 different display colours.

I like what the device offers and the main settings are user friendly but wish the extra settings could be accessed in a much more user friendly way allowing the whole menu system to flow better.

My Experience Using The Aegis X Kit

I must state i did not use the device in temp control and have no access to data so simply reviewed the device as i experienced it (best way in my opinion, humans vape, computers don't).

The screen is massive and the display is so easy to read and being able to customise it is a big pro, after saying that their will be those who couldn't care less for a massive screen and would prefer the Legend. I did wonder about the ergonomics with having the screen one side but it feels great in the hand but found it too heavy for my liking to carry around with me.

As mentioned accessing the extra settings is a bit disjointed but once you have the display how you want it going into these settings will rarely be needed as all the vaping settings, changing modes etc are all done on the first level from the working screen which is a very easy user friendly way of doing things.

The device fires instantly and with impressive ramp up and all the various wattage's i vaped at seemed very accurate as did the resistance readings. The curves feature works great and just like it's build quality it's a solid performer.

The Zeus Subohm Tank hasn't tarnished the Zeus name at all as this is right up there with the best subohm tanks available. Like the Zeus X the Subohm tank version gives bags of air and i have to agree with the the coils ratings with airflow fully open which gave decent flavour and copious vapor with both coils.
Much preferring a more restrictive vape i needed the airflow only a third open for the restriction i like and found with more restriction came even more flavour (again with both coils) very similar to what i get from the Freemax Fireluke 2, with no experimental wicking material on show i can only put it down to the large surface area with the design of the Geekvape Z coils.

Apart from finding the 0.4ohm Z1 better at lower wattage than the 0.2ohm Z2 i really found very little difference between the 2 coils. With the restriction i like the 0.2ohm Z2 coil i found best at 60W and the 0.4ohm Z1 coil at 45W both below the coils ratings but that suited me fine and much more efficient on battery life, i must say the airflow is noticeably smooth throughout. The 5ml capacity (standard version) is decent but just like the Zeus RTA's this tank ploughs through the juice but all that vapor is giving bags of flavour, the gap in flavour between subohm tanks (the best ones) and both RTA's and RDA's you can get a thin piece of paper between they have improved that much over the last 18 months, Cracking Subohm Tank! I also tested the Aegis X with various RTA's including the original single coil Zeus.

Of course with how durable the device is and having an IP67 waterproof rating added to just how solidly the device performs the Aegis X is a cracking device but it doesn't seem to have the greatest battery life. It's possibly a bit unfair as i have just been reviewing a couple of Ultroner devices that have simple efficient boards but the battery life while not being shocking by any means i found to definitely be below average for a dual 18650 device.
Back to pros and the Aegis X will accommodate up to a 28mm Atty without overhang and is fully firmware upgradeable. The device also supports 2A balanced charging although i really wouldn't recommend charging inside any device unless it's your only option, on top of that if the silicone plug that keeps the USB watertight is constantly being removed i would imagine over time that seal would become compromised.

İmageİmage

Top notch build quality
IP67 rating (waterproof, dustproof, shockproof)
8 Colour options
Feels great in either hand
Light switch style fire button
Secure battery door
2.4inch Colour screen
3 Display themes
5 Display colours
Top tier of menu system user friendly
Performed Solidly in power mode
Curves feature worked great
Bypass mode
TC (not tested)
AS 2.0 Chipset, Fires instantly with impressive ramp up
28mm Atty fits with no overhang
Supports balanced charging at 2A (wouldn't recommend)
Firmware upgradeable
Included Zeus is excellent Sub-ohm tank
Supplied coils very good flavour
Decent longevity
Quick top-fill method
Top airflow, leakproof design
5ml Capacity
Spare glass
2 coils included

Cons

Heavy device
Battery life under par
Would of preferred it paired with the Zeus or Alpha Tank
Poorly marked battery orientation on battery door
Full menu system could flow better
Airflow control ring sometimes popped off when removing the top-cap
Ploughs through juice (as flavour tanks tend to)

I would once again like to thank Clay from Geekvape for supplying the Aegis X with Zeus Sub-ohm Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines