Disturbed By Smells

Okay so I have been vaping for like three weeks and fully off analogs. During this time my sense of smell has improved greatly, dispite a raging sinus infection. One problem I am having though, is my strong sense of smell...and the stench of things around me. I am finding many smells quite disturbing as they are so overpowering. And the worst of these is the smell of analogs. I work in a store, and people come in all day long after just smoking an analog...the smell makes me sick! Literally, I am having to hold my breath. Does anyone else experience this? I seem to just be noticing how much everything stinks! LOL!

I know exactly how you feel! The smell of analog cigs is repulsive! I actually went to a bonfire about a month after I had quit smoking analogs and we were drinking and I was getting down on my VP2. Well, I got in my truck and was heading back to my house. My buddy lit up an analog and I said, lemme have a hit off of that. I took one drag and it was so damn disgusting!!! The smell is bad but the taste is worse! :thumbdown:

Edited by VaPOOrizer

Oh yea!

Smelled my wifes analogs the other day for the 1st time.

Also I smoked in my work truck for the 2 years I've had it and now I can't stand the smell.

Gotta Lysol it a few times a day.

So far, getting the smeller back is the only drawback to vaping, but I'll handle it.

I think you will too in time.

Good luck.

You aren't alone wright. Many others here have said the same thing. I can smell someone smoking in a car next to me on the road. What disturbs me is that I guess I smelled repulsive before I switched to vaping. I wish someone would have told me I smelled like butt crack. :D

A member once said "I quit smoking, got my sense of smell beck and realized the world stinks..."

I agree I smell things that I didn't smell before, some great some not so much!

That is the upside! I've noticed a lot of good aromas around me that I never noticed before. Coffee brewing is wonderful. Perfume has depths I hadn't noticed, and some is really good. I have to watch that, my wife wouldn't take kindly to me appreciating too much how another woman smelled. :) Food! Oh man, food can go both ways but mostly I find it good. Whenever I smell a smoker my reaction is embarrassment for what I imposed on others all those years. Glad I'm not doing that anymore!

I agree completely. I remember loving the smell of coffee brewing and then for the last I don't know how many years, I couldn't smell it any more. I never knew it was because of smoking until I quit and can now smell coffee brewing. Ahhh, heaven! But yeah, the stinky smells are bad. It wasn't too long after I quit smoking, I walked out of Wal-Mart and noticed that someone had been smoking outside. No one was smoking out there, but had been. And I could smell it. It was awful. I just started laughing. I, who had smoked for 34 years, could smell that someone else had been smoking outside and it was horrible. Wow!! And yeah, I've also felt guilty thinking that I smelled like that for years and years. Sure glad I don't now.

After I was off analogs for a couple of weeks, I did experience the newness of a couple of smells, such as fresh coffee when I was refilling my canister and disinfectant when I walked into a building. But, since then I have not noticed any improvement in my sense of smell and I have never been able to detect any analog smell on other people or in my home. I don't smell my coffee brewing, for example. After 40 years of smoking, I wonder if my sense of smell is mostly shot and never to return again.

After I was off analogs for a couple of weeks, I did experience the newness of a couple of smells, such as fresh coffee when I was refilling my canister and disinfectant when I walked into a building. But, since then I have not noticed any improvement in my sense of smell and I have never been able to detect any analog smell on other people or in my home. I don't smell my coffee brewing, for example. After 40 years of smoking, I wonder if my sense of smell is mostly shot and never to return again.

I've wondered the same thing, dlynne. Even when it came to tasting the liquid. I smoked for 34 years and figured I'd just ruined my taste buds and my sense of smell. I think it took at least a month of being off the analogs before I smelled coffee brewing. Maybe even six weeks. From your banner, it looks like you're right at a month, so you might still see some improvement.

IM still a heavy analog smoker.

Haven't enjoyed my e-cig truly yet. Stock Carts Suck

Waiting for flava's to arrive. and hope they taste good.

so I could try to stop these smelly analogs.

Get others involved in the e-cig and away from the analog Hopefully this could work.

have cough drops around so when the people who smoke analogs come around stink drop a cough drop or something. to help side track from the smell

I'm with nana on this one dlynne. Don't give up yet! I don't know about anyone else but I'm the world's biggest wuss when it comes to the common cold. When Zyban was introduced, I jumped right on the bandwagon - and the stuff works! Truly. Unfortunately, it can also totally fry the olfactory nerve; something like 150 people have completely lost their sense of smell (and hence taste), permanently, from using the nasal gel. I think I may have had some of that effect, as I know I don't smell as well as I did even five years ago. That's a bummer, and it's why I'm so pleased to recover even some of that sense quitting analogs. And I have. You will too dlynne, just give it time.

Nana and DDave....thanks for your optimism. I don't look forward to the smell of stale cigarette smoke, but it would be nice to smell freshly brewed coffee. I have a vague memory of that scent, and the memory is a nice one.

depending on the type of coffee. I totally agree. I am blending beans now & choclate rasberry kona mix i love it. but I have never noticed the smell more then 10 feet away unless using a perc..

I smoked for 40 years, with the last few at three packs a day. I believe that my brain was trying to compensate, as best it could. When I made the switch to vape, my sense of smell came back with a vengeance!

I didn't document the time-line but I think it peaked at about two months, without any smoke. I was scared that it was permanent. At one point, I figured that I could take a job as the worlds first bomb and drug sniffing human. I kid you not.

I remember vaping on my bike at 45 mph and freaking when I smelled the smoke from a car 50 yards in front of me. I could smell the sausage and eggs that I ate in my office, every time I re-entered the room, for the rest of the day. I had to install an air-vent in my bathroom and even had to use it for #1. It was best to go outside to, well err, I'll call it #3. lol Then things started getting really weird.

One night I had a power failure. I had to find a lighter to light a oil lamp. Within minutes, I discovered that oil lamps stink. I never knew that. lol

I have used 'Head and Shoulders' shampoo for 35 years. I bought a three year supply on a slick-deal. The smell became so overwhelming that I almost threw it out!

Some nights when the the wind was not blowing and I was riding my bike, I could smell a sickening stink in the air, throughout a thirty mile trip! I now believe, what I was smelling, was decaying dead animals within a 5 mile radius.

I was tempted to ask my doc if he had anything to tone my smell-er down.

Thankfully, my brain has rewired itself, by the 3rd or 4th month. I can eat some foods in my office again. My shampoo is no longer overwhelming. In general smells are no longer a real problem, like they were in that 1-2 month period.

I still detest smoke. I try to respect smokers, but I move upwind or slowly move away from them without making a scene.

-

As for taste; all I have really noticed is that I can no longer tolerate super salty things. I had to throw out my V-8 juice. (I then tried low sodium V-8 and did not care for it. I even tried a 50-50 mix of the two. I decided that life without V-8 is not so bad). Avoiding super salty food is a good thing.

I have been a vaper for 10.5 months and have been off smoke for 9 months.

I apologize if I grossed anyone out.

I smoked for 40 years, with the last few at three packs a day. I believe that my brain was trying to compensate, as best it could. When I made the switch to vape, my sense of smell came back with a vengeance!

I didn't document the time-line but I think it peaked at about two months, without any smoke. I was scared that it was permanent. At one point, I figured that I could take a job as the worlds first bomb and drug sniffing human. I kid you not.

I remember vaping on my bike at 45 mph and freaking when I smelled the smoke from a car 50 yards in front of me. I could smell the sausage and eggs that I ate in my office, every time I re-entered the room, for the rest of the day. I had to install an air-vent in my bathroom and even had to use it for #1. It was best to go outside to, well err, I'll call it #3. lol Then things started getting really weird.

One night I had a power failure. I had to find a lighter to light a oil lamp. Within minutes, I discovered that oil lamps stink. I never knew that. lol

I have used 'Head and Shoulders' shampoo for 35 years. I bought a three year supply on a slick-deal. The smell became so overwhelming that I almost threw it out!

Some nights when the the wind was not blowing and I was riding my bike, I could smell a sickening stink in the air, throughout a thirty mile trip! I now believe, what I was smelling, was decaying dead animals within a 5 mile radius.

I was tempted to ask my doc if he had anything to tone my smell-er down.

Thankfully, my brain has rewired itself, by the 3rd or 4th month. I can eat some foods in my office again. My shampoo is no longer overwhelming. In general smells are no longer a real problem, like they were in that 1-2 month period.

I still detest smoke. I try to respect smokers, but I move upwind or slowly move away from them without making a scene.

-

As for taste; all I have really noticed is that I can no longer tolerate super salty things. I had to throw out my V-8 juice. (I then tried low sodium V-8 and did not care for it. I even tried a 50-50 mix of the two. I decided that life without V-8 is not so bad). Avoiding super salty food is a good thing.

I have been a vaper for 10.5 months and have been off smoke for 9 months.

I apologize if I grossed anyone out.

Yes! Yes! Yes! This is exactly how I feel! I even noticed recently, a sickly sweet smell coming from my heat. I am finding several foods I have loved, I now can't stand to eat. And my poor husband...I don't know how many times I have told him that his feet stink or his breath smells, and he has put up with me smoking analogs for 3 years after quitting himself. I am finding it more and more difficult to deal with the analog smokers. I physically cannot tolerate the smell. I have noticed a scent of burning rubber coming from our car, and everytime I step outside I smell waffles...we have a waffle house about 1/2 mile down the road.

My big concern is that my mother is coming to visit, and she is a heavy smoker. I find the smell bothers me the most when on a person when they enter a non smoking building...it seems so strong. I am not sure how I will handle this. I have already told her that I am going to have her try vaping while she is here. I even found cartos that are supposed to be the same flavor as her brand. I will spend the extra money just in hopes she will like it and switch. Wish me luck with that.

Glad to know I am not alone!

Wow, Rusty, what an interesting story. At 30 days analog-free, I have noticed a lot of changes in my skin and sense of well-being. I'll look forward to regaining my senses of smell and taste, but hopefully not to the extent that I smell dead animals within 5 miles! :thumbsup:

I, too, wish you good luck with your mother, wright306. And yeah, if she resists, send her here and dave can take care of her for you. Isn't that what he meant? ummmm, yeah, I'm sure that's what he meant.

Okay nana, I'm not touching that one with a -- with anything! :D

I noticed the intensity of smells for the first couple of months off analogs. Everyone's stories about being grossed out by cigarette smoke and other smells was the same for me. I thought of hiring myself out as a tracking dog.

The good news: The brain and nerves do re-wire, as an earlier poster suggested. Your nose finds a happy medium, and the intensity of certain smells wanes. I can still smell a smoker a couple aisles away in a store, but it doesn't make me want to puke. On the upside, all the good stuff still smells great. I was outside the other night when it was only about 10 degrees, with snow all over the ground. I took a deep breath in through my nose, and it brought me right back to being a kid, long before cigarettes came into my life, playing outside in the middle of winter, making snow forts and pinging unsuspecting cars with a well aimed snowball.

That was nice.

I have to stick my two cents in here, about two weeks after I quit the analogues I noticed the smell of the carpet powder stuff my uses in the house, you know carpet fresh stuff, you sprinkle it on and vacuum it up...the funny thing is I smelled it from the drive way the first time I noticed it! I think I have a bionic nose now, I smell everything. One of the first thing I had to do was clean out the truck, wipe it down and I put an ozone-ator (ozone machine) in the truck for a week running to combat the funk of forty thousand years cigarettes.

Edited by TheSmokingMan

Off topic for smells, but on topic for the rewiring of the brain.

I remember trying to quit smoking a few years ago. I used the patches left over from another attempt a couple of years earlier. (I had no idea that nic had a shelf life). lol

Anyway, after ~7-10 days without smoke, I completely lost my my natural ability to troubleshoot PCs. I thought it was going to be permanent, so I went back to smoking fast.

This time around I had the advice of good people (most of which have been banned from that other forum). So I knew that it would be a temporary condition. Thanks Kate! You Rock!

I was a 40 year smoker and doing 3 packs a day. I believe I had damaged or killed off a bunch of brain cells. I believe that when I quit smoke my brain started repairs. and it took me a couple of weeks for my brain to decide what to do with all these new brain cells.

There was definitely about 10 days there, that I could not think, concentrate, remember, function, or even talk. I remember starting out with the first syllable of one word then finish with the second syllable of another word (that could have been used). It was almost funny. It sure as heck sounded funny.

I gave up trying to get anything done when I found that I was not capable of even changing the battery in my bike, not that I would ride in that condition. Lucky the e-cig battery is easy. I still consider that permanently getting off smoke was a huge accomplishment, even tho it was the only thing that I got done, that week.

Big Gov, Big Pharm, and Big Tobac take note: You can take my PV when yor can pry it from (You know the rest). ~~NOT recommended~~

Note I went from 60 to 6 analogs with my 1st e-cig, without trying. Then set a quit-or-die-date for six weeks later. In hind-sight, I could have possibility been a little easier on myself and avoided the extra drama. But I will never know. -- Besides everyone is different.

i just love hearing these stories. Smelling a snowy day, and being reminded of childhood...how great is that? And the idea that the brain is rewiring due in response to quitting tobacco, I can only hope that my brain will do the same.

I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin, on my face, hands, and the rest of me as well. I spent the past 20 years believing that I had rosacea. But all the pinkness on my face is vanishing. The palms of my hands have become less creased, and the skin on my arms is smoother. I smoked for over 40 years, and have been off analogs for only a little more than 30 days. The human body's ability to repair itself is awesome, and even spiritual!