Well, You'll Definitely Stop Smoking

So, my wife and I are back home from her parents house, and enjoying Christmas Vacation on AMC when a commercial for Chantix comes on. Some lady who's "not an actor" describing how easily she quit smoking with this new pill. Then they started with the warnings of possible side effects, and OH MY FREAKING GOD! Check the warnings out HERE.

Even if "suicidal thoughts" only happen to a few folks, what about the button points they list as the most common...

* Nausea (30%)

* Sleep problems (trouble sleeping, changes in dreaming)

* Constipation

* Gas

* Vomiting

I'm sure glad I've replaced smoking with vaping.

And that crap is approved by the FDA???????????? I would rather smoke than have any of those side effects. The only side effect I've had from vaping is a large ass from sitting in front of the computer and posting on VT all day LOL. :D

My cardiologist prescribed them for me when I had my heart attack but the insurance would not pay and man were they pricey.I work at a hospital that is self insured you would think they would be happy to pay if I was thinking about quitting.That was about five years ago and I finaly was able to quit with a $40.00 Joye 302.I doubt they would pay for that either even if it would save them a lot .

Just goes to show you just how MUCH power Big Pharm has over all our buddies in the House and Senate. It takes a LOT of money to approve an OBVIOUS joke like Chantix, and turn a blind eye to e cigs, cause we have no big money lobbyists on our side. When the next elections roll around, we need to send a LOUD message to all of them, "YOURE FIRED", and vote EVERY incumbant out, regardless of party.

"In weeks 9 through 12 in the study, the smoking status of each patient was checked, and the information was compared among the 3 groups. Patients were considered quit if they did not smoke a cigarette (not even a puff) or use other nicotine products for the final 4 weeks of treatment. CHANTIX was proven to be more effective than the sugar pill or Zyban. "

44% success rate vs. 18% on sugar pill. Success is based on 4 weeks only. Wonder what the success rate looks like two or three months down the road. I bet there's sharp decline if you looked a few months out.

@jeffb - LMAO - I know how you feel. Here it is Christmas and I had to come back and check the forums. Didn't expect to see any new stuff on here, but... And of course I couldn't help but put my 2 cents in. LOL

I didn't have to look at the link to know the warnings. I had been in to the dr. and got talked into Chantix. I brought home the script and some info. I read all of it before going to the drug store. By the time I read all the side effects, I said NO WAY and threw the script away. I'm so grateful I found ecigs and this forum. I haven't had even one thought of suicide with these. In fact I want to live forever so I can keep vaping!

I tried Chantix. I mean I really tried it! For three months I was on that stuff. It actually worked for awhile even.

Basically, Chantix is suppose to block the seritonin receptors in the brain. As you may know, when nicotine is introduced in the brain it releases seritonin, which is that hormone that helps to relax us. By blocking these receptors, Chantix keeps nicotine from giving us that relaxing feeling. It also kind of replaces seritonin with a simular chemical that helps us curve cravings.

I was really excited when I started taking it. Right away I started to reduce the amount of cigarettes I smoked, and by my quit date I was feeling really good about my chances for success. I felt a little quezzy at first but other than that I didn't have many side effects myself. It did give me some REALLY VIVID dreams too. Boy, those had to be the BEST dreams I've ever had. I'll never forget one of them. I had all kinds of wierd dreams, but unfortunately, no dreams of Selma Hyack, which really bumbed me out. I dreamed I was in the checkout lane at Wal-Mart and I was standing in line behind a giraffe. I could actually smell it!! The most realistic dream I've ever had. I have no idea what in the heck it might have meant, and I probably don't want to know.

Lol, I never felt depressed, or suicidal, or even Homocidal for that matter. I think that may have something to do with a person's outlook an life, maybe. Some people may just be more prone to it than others. And introducing chemicals that effect seritonin is always tricky.

Brian wrote about the success rate of Chantix, and he makes the most important point about this pill. You can only trick your brain with synthetic chemicals for so long. I took this stuff for three months. I did the support group thing and everything. The success rate after 2 months plummets to 5% according to my doctor and the research I've seen from private studies. I was back to smoking after 1 month. It started with me cheating just a couple of times a day, but after 2 months I was basically back to my previous habits.

Chantix is actually more expensive than e-cigs. A month supply cost me $110. And the Pharmacuetical company advises that you stay on the pill for up to a year! Wonder why that is....

I got my 510 in the mail on October 24th. I haven't had a single cigarette since my very first vape. Hows that for success!?!

Hey Speak - thanks for sharing that - very interesting story. As for "cheating", I think we've all done that in past quit attempts. :) "Oh, I can just have one or two every now and then, but I won't start smoking again." :whistle:

I had tried that smoking pill that came out in the 90's. Don't remember what it was caled. Similar experience to what you had, except I stopped taking it after a couple of weeks due to lack of sleep. And when I did sleep... the dreams were wicked. Literally. For some reason, I only have bad dreams (at least I only remember the bad ones) and this stuff really intensified that. Phew. Was bad.

Edited by Brian

Wow, great replies to an interesting subject. I've tried Chantix too of course; I've tried everything to quit smoking. Sheesh. Best to never start, but try telling that to some kid who desperately needs to be cool. Anyway, nothing worked. There's only so much gum you can chew until you puke. And it tastes like a... well, not the best. ;) Even mint. Though I will say that as a smoker mint nicotine gum has gotten me though a ton of interminable meetings. :) Might still use it for that since I haven't the huevos to whip out my VP2 in a meeting with a bunch of high-and-mighty people who hold careers in their hands.

And I have to say I've had a few analogs here and there. I week or so ago, for whatever reason I bought a pack of smokes when I was at the courtesy counter in the grocery store. Stuck them in my shirt pocket and promptly forgot about them. When I got home from work a couple days later my wife told me how lucky I was that they hadn't come apart in the laundry! Yikes! (You'd have to know her, but trust me.) Yep, that pack of smokes was still intact after having gone through the washing machine with my shirt. Cigs were still dry! So, we smoked em over the next few days. Analogs taste like a... well, not great. But they sure can be sneaky. I even had thought about buying some when I was out this evening. But I forgot.

I think that's the best recommendation for vaping there is - it works. That is, it effectively does replace cigarettes. No wonder Phillip Morris is so panicky!

Speakeasy, your story should be in the VT book. :D That's the best thing I've read in a long time. thumbsup.gif

Just goes to show you just how MUCH power Big Pharm has over all our buddies in the House and Senate. It takes a LOT of money to approve an OBVIOUS joke like Chantix, and turn a blind eye to e cigs, cause we have no big money lobbyists on our side. When the next elections roll around, we need to send a LOUD message to all of them, "YOURE FIRED", and vote EVERY incumbant out, regardless of party.

Right on keenan! I've mentioned it on VT a few times before and will take the opportunity here again. A year or so ago my father and I had bumper stickers printed that say, "Vote Incumbents Out!" If anyone wants one PM me and I'll send you one - or however many you need. I'm pleased to say that one other forumite has asked for a couple; made my day.

People forget that congress acts at our discretion. We have a responsibility to our country to make sure that it's run as a democracy - not a forum for special interest's profits. That means Vote. And given the sad performance of most congress critters, that means it's time for some new blood. Break up the Good Ole Boy's Club that does not work for our best interests but for its own. Vote Incumbents Out! Or quit bitching.