Big Pharm Funding Anti-E-Cigarette Campaigners

Thanks to James over at ashtrayblog.com for this gem...

A coalition of public health campaigners are asking the FDA to remove the Electronic Cigarette from US shop shelves.

They all have one thing in common - funding from the big drug companies whose nicotine replacement therapies, with their side effects and low success rates, are under threat from the new drug.

Senator Lautenberg, who wrote to the FDA demanding that the device be removed from shelves, received $126,000 in funding from the pharmecutical companies during his election campaign.

And members of an anti e-smoking coalition who have issued a press release in support of the senator have also received millions in funds from the pharmecutical industry, much of it from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a foundation with shares in Johnson and Johnson worth over 700 million dollars.

The money was originally paid to the organisations such as the American Lung Association to lobby against smoking and smokers and for a smoking ban, and it is not clear if there is also pressure to lobby against the electronic cigarette.

What is clear is that the industry is watching the electronic cigarette closely, with a section in one industry report entitled: E-Cigarettes Will Revolutionise the Face of Tobacco Smoking and Could Pose a Threat to the Smoking Cessation Market.

As most attempts to quit using cessation aids fail - according to Michael Siegel, proffessor of professor in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, Boston University School of Public Health, the success rate is less than ten percent - the $3 billion market in cessation aids is vulnerable to new and safer smoking alternatives.

And with those who claim to care about smokers' health lobbying against a safer alternative to a habit that kills 1 in 2 of long term smokers, the motivation of public health campaigners is bound to fall under suspicion.

Source: http://www.nowpublic.com/health/big-pharm-...tte-campaigners

Un freaking believable. :mad:

Again, great info find... I appreciate how you are really trying to stay on top of our topic.... It always amazes me how apathetic Americans are. They forget that cancer is killing us and mostly from cigarette smoke.

I don't believe smokers want to die from cancer or due to smoking cigarettes. I, for one, don't. We are addicted, however. to the nicotine. If we are honest, we are addicts, per say. Yet, the all mighty dollar is more important than for us as smokers finally finding a positive alternative. I have virtually no respect for people who are anti-smoking freaks with absolutely no compassion.

Yes very good find Patches gum etc is big money they don't want us cutting into that.

There is no appreciation for the struggle a smoker has. I do not want to quit smoking. But I have to or die early. This is a great alternative. I feel like a kid in a candy store. My other half is in total joy over it for the ovious reasons. Besides, she is a non smoker who still loves. Now she wants to get married. (Damn!) I think I screwed up..... :o

Now she wants to get married. (Damn!) I think I screwed up..... :o

My honey never smoked and just recently retired. He IS very happy I quit. But his take on it was "I'd be lonely if you died first". Hmmm, we have had a loooong engagement - 22 years. Heck I'm holdin' out for mo money. I may even trade him in on two 30 year olds. :lol:Just kidding - he's a keeper. :lol:

Mine never smoked either. Can't figure out how she stood me..... :( We've been together awhile to and getting married June 13th..... (Maybe she's

Protecting all that insurance!! ;) She is a Princess and sure takes care of me! :rolleyes: She never complained about me smoking but certainly happy I've quit..... BTW, I should get one of those banners, huh?

• 3 weeks later...