Australian School Gets It Right !

I have heard that before. It is funny and makes me laugh every time. It is about time a school stood up for themselves.

Today when I was in the grocery I had an experience with a child and I got a big thank you from the produce manager. The child was playing with the cantaloupe and it was looking like he was about to knock them all on the floor. I turned to the child and asked "where his your mother", he eyes got extremely large and he turned and scurried away. The manager thanked me because she was on the other side and didn't know what he was up to. She did hear what I said and she may use that in the future.

There were kids all over the store and they were just running rampant. The rule was, when I was small and my mom would take us to the store, we had to have one hand on the cart at all times. I know it is the holiday and the parents are busy, but come on try setting some ground rules.

Edited by BirdDog

ROFLMAO

@Keenan - I loved it!!! And I agree with you.

@BirdDog - Good for you!! And that's funny, I had to do the same thing when shopping with my mother and my kids had to do the same. And I make my grandkids do that, too. LOL

@Brian & SteveD - Exactly right!!!

Seriously? OMG I "LOVE" that message! Every school in the USA should have it as a greeting, and copy it into text and spam parents with it like all these stupid coupon mailers we keep getting.

I especially love the part " If you would like to hear this in another language, move to a country that speaks it" Like John Wayne said " Now just why the hell should I have to press "1" for english?" (not sure if he actualy said that but I have a t-shirt with his picture and that caption next to it). I am going to take a copy of that to my daughter's school and ask them to use it. :)

omg thats perfect...

I got the biggest compliment the other day. a family member was getting rid of her 15 yeaar old sons hand me down toys, and said even though some kids in the family are older than mine my kids get them because they are well behaved and take care of their stuff. The other kids dont. I feel like im doing my job when i correct my children. When they say excuse me when they burp. And say yes please and thank you, or appologize before i correct them for a slip up. I AM THIER PARENT NOT THIER FRIEND.

Okay, I could go on for hours but I will step down from my soap box.

omg thats perfect...

I got the biggest compliment the other day. a family member was getting rid of her 15 yeaar old sons hand me down toys, and said even though some kids in the family are older than mine my kids get them because they are well behaved and take care of their stuff. The other kids dont. I feel like im doing my job when i correct my children. When they say excuse me when they burp. And say yes please and thank you, or appologize before i correct them for a slip up. I AM THIER PARENT NOT THIER FRIEND.

Thank you Gazoo!

I'm editing to add a bit. I was not fortunate to be directly involved in my kid's upbringing, but they turned out very well. I'm proud of them. Both are honest, polite, and think for themselves. I'd trust my life to either of them.

But I have had some input with my grandkids. Our granddaughter is a little hellion! Her parents are divorced, and it's one of those situations where the parents could be more mature... My granddaughter is pretty confused, what with them playing her off each other. But we get to have her for the weekend occasionally, and work very hard to teach her and show her by example, how to live in a way that is respectful of others. (It makes our life much more pleasant.) It's not easy! She's eight and thinks she's 30. But it's amazing what can be done even with a small amount of open and loving teaching. Truly, children generally want to do the 'right thing.' Their downfall comes from not having been taught what that is, and why it's important.

For what it's worth, I've also been around a lot of children who clearly have been taught to be polite and to respect other people. All is not lost. :)

Edited by ddavelarsen

Today when I was in the grocery I had an experience with a child and I got a big thank you from the produce manager. The child was playing with the cantaloupe and it was looking like he was about to knock them all on the floor. I turned to the child and asked "where his your mother", he eyes got extremely large and he turned and scurried away.

Off topic, but this reminds me of a funny story. Many years ago (back when I was in the AF) me and a couple of other guys went grocery shopping. Two of them got to playing around with the carts and ran into a shelf knocking off and breaking 2 jars of spagetti sauce. What a mess. Anyhow, they left that isle pretty fast. About a minute later I hear over the intercom... "clean up on isle 7. Parents, please watch your children!" I could't believe they did that! They went to report the mess, but told the clerk that a little kid had done it. I guess you had to be there, and still be young, but it was funny at the time.

omg thats perfect...

It is okay. You can stay up on that soap box. :) Thanks for teaching your kids good manners. I think manners are becoming a "lost art."

This includes you ddavelarsen, thanks for teaching your granddaughter. I am sure she will appreciate it when she is older.

Edited by BirdDog