Comedy (Bill Cosby)

LOL ! That was great. I remember watching him do that on TV when I was a kid. They just dont make em like they used to. Nowadays, if youre not swearing and cursing, its not comedy. Bull. Remember Bob Newharts skits. They were hilarious too. The Dean Martin Roasts. And I wish SOMEONE would put on a GOOD variety show like Carol Burnett. I think the HARDEST Ive ever laughed in my life was watching Tim Conway crack up Harvey Korman with his Improv !

LOL ! That was great. I remember watching him do that on TV when I was a kid. They just dont make em like they used to. Nowadays, if youre not swearing and cursing, its not comedy. Bull. Remember Bob Newharts skits. They were hilarious too. The Dean Martin Roasts. And I wish SOMEONE would put on a GOOD variety show like Carol Burnett. I think the HARDEST Ive ever laughed in my life was watching Tim Conway crack up Harvey Korman with his Improv !

I thought of Newhart as well when I saw this - my parents use to buy albums with the routines on them, Newhart, Cosby, etc. Newhart as Moses on the phone with "God". That was funny. Have to listen to it outside of work but I'm sure I've heard it before.

I heard this one on an album when I was a teenager. For those of you too young to remember or know what an album was, never mind. I loved it then and love it now. Bill Cosby has probably always been one of my favorites. I loved his going to the dentist one, too. And I have to agree with Keenan about Tim Conway and Harvey Korman and of course Bob Newhart. I even loved Bob Newhart's shows. Couldn't get enough of them. There doesn't seem to be much of that good humor around anymore. Well, except on this forum. I'm still cracking up about a post I read the other day.

I heard this one on an album when I was a teenager. For those of you too young to remember or know what an album was, never mind. I loved it then and love it now. Bill Cosby has probably always been one of my favorites. I loved his going to the dentist one, too. And I have to agree with Keenan about Tim Conway and Harvey Korman and of course Bob Newhart. I even loved Bob Newhart's shows. Couldn't get enough of them. There doesn't seem to be much of that good humor around anymore. Well, except on this forum. I'm still cracking up about a post I read the other day.

LOL ! Albums ! Nana, I know what you mean. I used to have over 500 albums. I STILL think they sound better than CD's. Bob Newharts shows were awesome. And of course, one of my all time favs - Monty Python. Which post are you still cracking up over, I missed about a week here ?

LOL - Keenan I had to go back and find it. It was the "Testing Equipment" post in the DIY-E Juice Forum. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to it. If you haven't read it, please do and let me know what you think.

ROFLMAO ! Just read it Nana. Wow, I guess I DID miss a few things while I was gone ! :lol:

Well, thanks for making me feel not so old! :) I know of Bob Newhard and those shows, but don't remember anything about them. I'll have to look up some of that older stuff. ;) I think my favorite Bill Cosby is "To Russel, the Brother Whom I Slept With". It's just so real... growing up with a brother I feel like it's exactly how we were. I was able to burn the old albums to my puter so they're handy anytime. Still love listening to them.

Anyhow, at 42 I know I'm not that old, just feel old. I first started feeling old when the radio started calling my music "clasic rock"! :wtf2: Then, I had some co-workers who didn't know who Daisy Duke was. :iiam: IMO Jessica Simpson has NOTHING on Catherine Bach!!!

Wait - I'm only 41!!! Holly Crap! Now I really do feel old - can't remember how old I am. :wacko:

Edited by Brian

@Keenan - I had a feeling you'd get a good laugh out of that one. I haven't laughed that hard, for that long, to the point of tears, for a very long time.

@Brian - I know what you mean. I remember when Danny Thomas died. I was working with a bunch of teenagers at the time (and I was only like 29 then) and said I'd just heard that he died. Every single one of those snot nosed kids looked at me like I had gone stark raving mad and asked, "Who's Danny Thomas". Now really, I wasn't that old, but I knew who he was. And now that was 20 years ago. HUH? My husband and I were talking about the music the other day. We had just heard a song on the radio that was popular when we were teens. I mentioned that the songs we listened to then that were referred to as "oldies" were about 15 years old - like "Rock Around The Clock". They seemed old to us then. Now...the songs we listened to as teens are 30+ years old. How did that happen?

I hear ya Brian. I feel SOOOO old when I hear some kid say "Who are the Beatles". :wtf: The Beatles ? Really ?

Here is something called " The Mindset List", REALLY makes you feel old.

Most students entering college for the first time this fall were born in 1991.

1.For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.

2.Dan Rostenkowski, Jack Kevorkian, and Mike Tyson have always been felons.

3.The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.

4.They have never used a card catalog to find a book.

5.Margaret Thatcher has always been a former prime minister.

6.Salsa has always outsold ketchup.

7.Earvin "Magic" Johnson has always been HIV-positive.

8.Tattoos have always been very chic and highly visible.

9.They have been preparing for the arrival of HDTV all their lives.

10.Rap music has always been main stream.

11.Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream has always been a flavor choice.

12.Someone has always been building something taller than the Willis (née Sears) Tower in Chicago.

13.The KGB has never officially existed.

14.Text has always been hyper.

15.They never saw the “Scud Stud” (but there have always been electromagnetic stud finders.)

16.Babies have always had a Social Security Number.

17.They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.

18.Bungee jumping has always been socially acceptable.

19.They have never understood the meaning of R.S.V.P.

20.American students have always lived anxiously with high-stakes educational testing.

21.Except for the present incumbent, the President has never inhaled.

22.State abbreviations in addresses have never had periods.

23.The European Union has always existed.

24.McDonald's has always been serving Happy Meals in China.

25.Condoms have always been advertised on television.

26.Cable television systems have always offered telephone service and vice versa.

27.Christopher Columbus has always been getting a bad rap.

28.The American health care system has always been in critical condition.

29.Bobby Cox has always managed the Atlanta Braves.

30.Desperate smokers have always been able to turn to Nicoderm skin patches.

31.There has always been a Cartoon Network.

32.The nation’s key economic indicator has always been the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

33.Their folks could always reach for a Zoloft.

34.They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.

35.Women have always outnumbered men in college.

36.We have always watched wars, coups, and police arrests unfold on television in real time.

37.Amateur radio operators have never needed to know Morse code.

38.Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Latvia, Georgia, Lithuania, and Estonia have always been independent nations.

39.It's always been official: President Zachary Taylor did not die of arsenic poisoning.

40.Madonna’s perspective on Sex has always been well documented.

41.Phil Jackson has always been coaching championship basketball.

42.Ozzy Osbourne has always been coming back.

43.Kevin Costner has always been Dancing with Wolves, especially on cable.

44.There have always been flat screen televisions.

45.They have always eaten Berry Berry Kix.

46.Disney’s Fantasia has always been available on video, and It’s a Wonderful Life has always been on Moscow television.

47.Smokers have never been promoted as an economic force that deserves respect.

48.Elite American colleges have never been able to fix the price of tuition.

49.Nobody has been able to make a deposit in the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI).

50.Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.

51.Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.

52.They have never been Saved by the Bell

53.Someone has always been asking: “Was Iraq worth a war?”

54.Most communities have always had a mega-church.

55.Natalie Cole has always been singing with her father.

56.The status of gays in the military has always been a topic of political debate.

57.Elizabeth Taylor has always reeked of White Diamonds.

58.There has always been a Planet Hollywood.

59.For one reason or another, California’s future has always been in doubt.

60.Agent Starling has always feared the Silence of the Lambs.

61.“Womyn” and “waitperson” have always been in the dictionary.

62.Members of Congress have always had to keep their checkbooks balanced since the closing of the House Bank.

63.There has always been a computer in the Oval Office.

64.CDs have never been sold in cardboard packaging.

65.Avon has always been “calling” in a catalog.

66.NATO has always been looking for a role.

67.Two Koreas have always been members of the UN.

68.Official racial classifications in South Africa have always been outlawed.

69.The NBC Today Show has always been seen on weekends.

70.Vice presidents of the United States have always had real power.

71.Conflict in Northern Ireland has always been slowly winding down.

72.Migration of once independent media like radio, TV, videos and compact discs to the computer has never amazed them.

73.Nobody has ever responded to “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”

74.Congress could never give itself a mid-term raise.

75.There has always been blue Jell-O.

I hear ya Brian. I feel SOOOO old when I hear some kid say "Who are the Beatles". :wtf: The Beatles ? Really ?

Good grief! Now you've made me feel old again! :wacko:

Hey you old geezer, I remember all of that stuff, "This is my brother Larry and my other brother Larry"!, and I have a lot of the Carol Burnett Show on DVD. Funny thing that you mention swearing and cursing in relation to Bill Cosby, he has always been a big advocate against using profanity to get laugh. He came down pretty hard on Eddie Murphy when he first got his start and it made such a big deal that he incorporated the incident into one of his sketches about a conversation with Richard Pryor talking about what Bill Cosby said about his show. Dean Martin was great on his Roasts, he always had people like Buddy Hackett and Milton Berle and Jackie Mason. Although Jackie Mason was a little raunchy, he was hilarious and so much of his stuff was true to life and he does a great Ed Sullivan impression. I still like the comedy shows of Jack Benny and George Burns and Jackie Gleason, the great days of comedy, if only we could turn back the hands of time...

"This is my brother Larry and my other brother Larry

Wasn't it Darell? I do remember watching Newhart, where they owned the inn up in Vermont. I use to love that show.

I rember the Eddie Murphy thing too.

Now, "have a coke and smile and shut..." :D

Edited by Brian

25.Condoms have always been advertised on television.

This one I didn't know, They advertise condoms on TV? Good thing we don't have TV in my house!

But the OLD Bob Newhart show was my favorite. The one with Suzanne Pleshette, and Bob was a Phsycologist. Those were hilarious for its time. Dry humor.

The "old" Bob Newhart show was "The Bob Newhart Show" where he played Dr. Robert "Bob" Hartley, the psychiatrist. The "new" Bob Newhart show was "Newhart" is where he played D ick Loudon. the owner of the inn in Vermont. In the new show he is also a writer and eventually becomes the host of "Vermot Today" a TV show, on the show.

Confused yet? I am! It's kind of like the New Coke, Old Coke, Classic Coke commercial for Pepsi in the 80's.

Edited by TheSmokingMan

Just a FYI, there is at least 1 commedian who does not curse for a laugh (after further review I believe he has cursed 2 times in his career) his name is Steven Wright (dry comedy that rocks)

I thank GOD that there are still commedians who realize humor does not need cursing.

Edited by DannyBoyfromWashington

Just a FYI, there is at least 1 commedian who does not curse for a laugh (after further review I believe he has cursed 2 times in his career) his name is Steven Wright (dry comedy that rocks)

I remember him from the early 90's. Funny.