Senator seeks to halt sales of 'e-cigarettes'

I just found this over on ecig forum. Not good guys not good...

By KIMBERLY HEFLING

Associated Press Writer

Posted: 03/23/2009 12:27:29 AM PDT

WASHINGTON—A senator is asking the government to prevent the sale of so-called "electronic cigarettes" until more is known about them. E-cigarettes are marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking and as a way to kick the habit. They are smokeless and battery-powered, releasing a nicotine vapor into the lungs.

New Jersey Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg sent the Food and Drug Administration a letter Monday saying that the agency should ensure e-cigarettes are not sold until they've been studied more.

An FDA spokeswoman says the agency will respond directly to the senator regarding his concerns.

I would post the news link however the page is down.

You can read more from this ******* right from his website: http://lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/reco...?id=310318&

Payoff anyone?

I just found this over on ecig forum. Not good guys not good...

By KIMBERLY HEFLING

Associated Press Writer

Posted: 03/23/2009 12:27:29 AM PDT

WASHINGTON—A senator is asking the government to prevent the sale of so-called "electronic cigarettes" until more is known about them. E-cigarettes are marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking and as a way to kick the habit. They are smokeless and battery-powered, releasing a nicotine vapor into the lungs.

New Jersey Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg sent the Food and Drug Administration a letter Monday saying that the agency should ensure e-cigarettes are not sold until they've been studied more.

An FDA spokeswoman says the agency will respond directly to the senator regarding his concerns.

I would post the news link however the page is down.

You can read more from this ******* right from his website: http://lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/reco...?id=310318&

Payoff anyone?

Hmm, his letter is well written but my take on it is it is just his request. He actually gives a good description of the product which is helpful, yet he demand to evaluate is hurtful.

It is a wait and see game.

There is a congressman from CA who loves it and smokes it in DC so they are very aware of ecigs. Let me do some research for this congressman.

It's the request that scares me, it could just be a start. Then before you know the FDA is pulling these.

I know that senator Rep. Cliff Stearns is an E Smoker. (Florida) and I'm aware of the CA Senator as well can't remember is name, it was on a thread over there I think.

EDIT: Here is a link to contact the senator, let's send him some emails! Heck invite him on the board :)

http://lautenberg.senate.gov/contact/index1.cfm

A member named Kamanjah from ecig forum wrote this amazing letter to the senator. (By the way I just sent him an email myself. This will mark the first time I've ever contacted a senator:))

"I realize you are anti-smoking and have worked to ban cigarettes in many areas. Smoking is bad for one's health, with over 4000 nasty things being inhaled from a lit cigarette.

However, if you succeed in getting electronic cigarettes banned, you will be driving thousands of e-cigarette users back to smoking tobacco. I am sure you are aware of the contents of the liquids used in e-cigarettes: propylene glycol, flavorings and nicotine. Nicotine is not a known carcinogen. Propylene glycol vapor was studied in the 1940s and deemed safe, and it was also discovered that it kills bacteria and viruses. This important health property was also shown in recent studies conducted in New Zealand. NASA has also studied PG vapor and cite one study where monkeys were exposed to PG vapor for 12+ months and showed no adverse effects or biological changes. You can find their report summary at Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants: Volume 5 and download the chapter as a pdf file by simply signing in. PG is a common ingredient in many prescription medications and is the sole ingredient of Rhinaris Nasal Spray, which is sold over the counter.

The e-cigarette device itself is simply a vaporizer.

Wouldn't it be more proactive to enlist existing e-cigarette users (note, we are not smokers any longer) into a clinical study instead of driving us back to smoking burning tobacco? Using nicotine in vapor form simply has to be less harmful than lighting up. I would certainly volunteer to be part of a study.

Unlike many drugs the FDA has approved, I feel the vapor from e-cigarettes will prove to have few side effects. Take Vioxx and Bextra for example. They received FDA approval and were subsequently pulled from the market due to deaths they caused. There are no known reports of deaths from use of the e-cigarette. A few people have reported allergies, however allergies are a very common side effect to many drugs, both prescription and OTC.

So, if I can get nicotine in patch, gum or inhaler form, and PG in a nose spray, why shouldn't I be able to use the two ingredients mixed together to vaporize when I choose?

Please rethink your request to the FDA to ban electronic cigarettes. I haven't smoked a cigarette in 67 days, and have no desire to ever smoke one again. If I have the right to choose to smoke tobacco, I certainly should have the right to choose to use an electronic cigarette, which I prefer to call a personal vaporizer, instead of tobacco.

Respectfully Submitted,"

A member named Kamanjah from ecig forum wrote this amazing letter to the senator. (By the way I just sent him an email myself. This will mark the first time I've ever contacted a senator:))

"I realize you are anti-smoking and have worked to ban cigarettes in many areas. Smoking is bad for one's health, with over 4000 nasty things being inhaled from a lit cigarette.

However, if you succeed in getting electronic cigarettes banned, you will be driving thousands of e-cigarette users back to smoking tobacco. I am sure you are aware of the contents of the liquids used in e-cigarettes: propylene glycol, flavorings and nicotine. Nicotine is not a known carcinogen. Propylene glycol vapor was studied in the 1940s and deemed safe, and it was also discovered that it kills bacteria and viruses. This important health property was also shown in recent studies conducted in New Zealand. NASA has also studied PG vapor and cite one study where monkeys were exposed to PG vapor for 12+ months and showed no adverse effects or biological changes. You can find their report summary at Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants: Volume 5 and download the chapter as a pdf file by simply signing in. PG is a common ingredient in many prescription medications and is the sole ingredient of Rhinaris Nasal Spray, which is sold over the counter.

The e-cigarette device itself is simply a vaporizer.

Wouldn't it be more proactive to enlist existing e-cigarette users (note, we are not smokers any longer) into a clinical study instead of driving us back to smoking burning tobacco? Using nicotine in vapor form simply has to be less harmful than lighting up. I would certainly volunteer to be part of a study.

Unlike many drugs the FDA has approved, I feel the vapor from e-cigarettes will prove to have few side effects. Take Vioxx and Bextra for example. They received FDA approval and were subsequently pulled from the market due to deaths they caused. There are no known reports of deaths from use of the e-cigarette. A few people have reported allergies, however allergies are a very common side effect to many drugs, both prescription and OTC.

So, if I can get nicotine in patch, gum or inhaler form, and PG in a nose spray, why shouldn't I be able to use the two ingredients mixed together to vaporize when I choose?

Please rethink your request to the FDA to ban electronic cigarettes. I haven't smoked a cigarette in 67 days, and have no desire to ever smoke one again. If I have the right to choose to smoke tobacco, I certainly should have the right to choose to use an electronic cigarette, which I prefer to call a personal vaporizer, instead of tobacco.

Respectfully Submitted,"

Great letter! I had A co-Worker, I think it was over sixteen years ago,and He was in a study for E-Cigs.None of us had ever heard of the device until that time.And I haven't seen one until recently. My humble opinion is that the FDA has had a long time to study this wonderful invention,it seems that Government officials do nothing until the American people begin to enjoy something,or someone begins to make a profit.It's to me,sad and curruped in a way.thanks for letting me vent.(vape)

If everyone on this forum "e-bombs" him with this letter or their own. That would speak volumes. As well as all the other forums we visit. Heck that could very well be a few thousand emails. Perhaps that would inspire him. He knows his letter is public so it is no surprise he will get mail.

Edited by Vacker1229

Yes please do send this letter!

Puente I think I know what your talking about, I was reading some copyright information and there was a device that was released years ago that tried to imitate cigarette smoking. I think it was large and perhaps a little ahead of its time. It really is sad to see how the country is turning out, however if we can get this turned around, then parhaps not all is dead

well this just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for the research vacker, this really is the last thing I want to read when I'm about to purchase a crap ton of liquid

Hmm did they offer it to you at half price? That should have been your first clue. :lol:

but seriously, we have had scares before but this one does appears urgent. No one listens to WHO but I am afraid they do listen to American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and American Lung Association.

we have a problem here :o If you can hold off on huge purchase -- I would for awhile, until we see where this goes. Meaning what other organizations jump on the Senator's bandwagon.

Edited by Vacker1229

Well I think of it this way, if I purchase the liquid and then can no longer sell it, at least I can vape my happy *** for a few years to come.

But your right this threat is much more serious than the previous ones we have seen. Those are three big names, and three very powerful names. I doubt they have done any research at all into e-cigs

Stearns shot back at Lautenberg on Monday, saying that there is no evidence that the device is harmful.

“Before the FDA takes any immediate action, it should put forward scientific evidence that these products are harmful or unsafe,” he said in a statement.

“These e-cigarettes are smokeless and do not produce carcinogens. The nicotine in e-cigarettes is controlled in a capsule that can help in smoking cessation by allowing the user to reduce gradually the nicotine level, hopefully to zero.”

Stearns has sent electronic cigarettes to House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) and President Obama to help them quit smoking. He’s been seen using the device in the Speaker’s Lobby, where Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) banned smoking two years ago. Her office did not respond to a request for comment by press time.

A longtime opponent of smoking, Lautenberg authored the law that banned smoking on airplanes and a law that banned smoking in federal facilities that serve children.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/sen.-l...2009-03-23.html

Awsome! I think we should send a letter to Stearns as well thanking him for the support!

Christopher, it looks like we may be going underground for awhile.... I for one would be more than happy to help you out with whatever stock you obtain for 'personal use' however large it might be. I like getting gifts and I am sure you do to. So do my buddies who are doing their vapor thing.

Gifts exchanged could be a good thing.... :ph34r:;) I personaly am getting very tired of being told what to do in my own country by fools who are always trying to dictate what is good for me... Go Stearn!

Go Stearns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this guy get's Obama on the e-cig revolution. Then we know that the e-cigs should be safe, at least for a while. Another sweet advantage to having Obama use these would be advertising, who better to have using your product then the President of the United States?

P.S. Rot in hell Lautenberg.

Thanks, and I will send you a financial gift, just label it a donation........ due to the fact the FDA won't allow you to sell the, then, unapproved juice.....

Nothing says you can't give it away, and nothing says you can't recieve donations.....

Christopher, it looks like we may be going underground for awhile.... I for one would be more than happy to help you out with whatever stock you obtain for 'personal use' however large it might be. I like getting gifts and I am sure you do to. So do my buddies who are doing their vapor thing.

Gifts exchanged could be a good thing.... :ph34r:;) I personaly am getting very tired of being told what to do in my own country by fools who are always trying to dictate what is good for me... Go Stearn!

lol I second that one