Car Charger And Passthrough

I bought the passthrough for the Joye 510, and a car battery adaptor. The passthrough worked fine, both hooked up to the computer, and hooked into a US_AC adaptor.

When I put the car battery adaptor into my car's cigarette lighter, and then hooked the Passthrough into the adaptor, it wouldn't work, and hasn't worked on my computer or AC adaptor since.

Is the car battery adaptor intended only to charge batteries? Is it possible to use a passthrough on a car battery adaptor?

Thanks.

Hey Dlynne, I use my 5V VP Passthrough in my car all the time, you may want to check the Amp rating on your adapter, if it's too low that would explain it not working. This is the USB Car adapter I use- http://www.target.com/Speck-Products-Roadduo-Car-Charger/dp/B00268BX3C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&frombrowse=0&node=1038576&keywords=speck&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&id=Speck%20Products%20Roadduo%20Car%20Charger&field_availability=-2&refinementHistory=subjectbin,target_com_age,target_com_gender-bin,target_com_character-bin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=target104545&searchPage=1&field_keywords=speck

It's great because it provides 5Volts @ 2Amps for a total output of 10W, which is exactly what my AC Wall adapter for my Passthrough is. Also I can still have my cell phone charging at the same time with this adapter, I really can't praise it enough, except for the fact that it costs $25, a little pricey, but this unit is solid and works fantastic.

I can't really answer you dlynne, except to say that I have a car adapter for my 510 passthrough and it works fine. I got mine at Wal-mart, but I can't tell you what the Amp rating is. I didn't pay any attention to that when I got it. But I've had no problems with mine and I've had it for about 2 months now.

@GDub - thanks for that link. I've been wanting to ask about those for when I get my VP/PT. It's amazing how whenever I think of a question, someone answers it before I ask. I love this forum!

@GDub - thanks for that link. I've been wanting to ask about those for when I get my VP/PT. It's amazing how whenever I think of a question, someone answers it before I ask. I love this forum!

Anytime Nana! When you get your VP PT I definitely recommend buying this adapter. Like I said it feels solid, the connectors on the side of the adapter really push back hard for a good, tight connection, no wobble at all. Also my phone charges from mini USB so the extra mini USB was another huge plus. I stream Pandora from my phone when I'm driving around town for work and this way I don't have to carry extra batteries with me for an 8 hour trip.

Any usb adapter for a car cig lighter should be putting out 5 volts dc. I use one I had that was part of a iPhone car charger and it works fine. Dlynne, be sure to check the battery in the pass through to be sure its installed correctly. Also, be gentle with the pass though, don't put stress on any of the spots where wires connect to components, as there are plenty of places for a wire to wear and short out.

Any usb adapter for a car cig lighter should be putting out 5 volts dc. I use one I had that was part of a iPhone car charger and it works fine. Dlynne, be sure to check the battery in the pass through to be sure its installed correctly. Also, be gentle with the pass though, don't put stress on any of the spots where wires connect to components, as there are plenty of places for a wire to wear and short out.

Just to clarify, the Amp rating is just as important as the Volt rating, a car adapter running 5V @ 1A = 5Watts, where as a 5V @ 2A = 10Watts, big difference in current between the two devices.

Just to clarify, the Amp rating is just as important as the Volt rating, a car adapter running 5V @ 1A = 5Watts, where as a 5V @ 2A = 10Watts, big difference in current between the two devices.

If the device you're plugging in needs one amp to function properly, one amp is what it will draw from the outlet. The 60 watt bulb in my reading lamp, running at 120 volts, is plugged into a standard 15 amp outlet, but it only draws 0.5 amps. If I plug it in to a 20 amp outlet, it will still only draw 0.5 amps.

If the device you're plugging in needs one amp to function properly, one amp is what it will draw from the outlet. The 60 watt bulb in my reading lamp, running at 120 volts, is plugged into a standard 15 amp outlet, but it only draws 0.5 amps. If I plug it in to a 20 amp outlet, it will still only draw 0.5 amps.

Which is true, but the adapter itself is the device drawing the power from the outlet, and if it's maximum output is below what your device needs to function it's a no go.

Which is true, but the adapter itself is the device drawing the power from the outlet, and if it's maximum output is below what your device needs to function it's a no go.

Point taken, but we're talking about a usb pt that works on a computers usb port, 5v at 500 mA, but doesn't work on a car usb adapter that has to be rated at at least that. This doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by SmokinHammer