Losing Flavor In Refilled 510 Carts

In an effort to cut down on my vaping maintenance, I've been refilling carts en-mass so i have 20 or so ready to go. That way I don't have to refill every day, and can grab a flavor I'm in the mood for with little fuss.

I've noticed that ones I've not gotten around to for a week or so seem to have no flavor. Even ones that usually have a strong scent, like chocolate mint.

Do they degrade smell and taste in open air? (as opposed to pre-filled ones that are sealed in plastic until opened.)

Do they all need their own little zip lock baggie?

Would keeping them in the fridge help?

Or do I just need to stick to only keeping a few filled and refilling more often?

Jen

For what it's worth, I keep all the packaging stuff that comes covering the carts, and when I fill them just put all that stuff back on them. I hadn't thought of bagging them and sticking them in the fridge, but I think - why not? Now I'm going to take that one more step.

Good information. Thanks. I hadn't thought about this. So does the same apply to the bottles of ejuice? Should they be stored in a cool, dry place, too?

Absolutely. Keep them in a cool dry place, away from the window, away from sun light at a temperature around 68-77 degrees. We actually keep monitors on all of our storage units that hold the juice. Ever in my office I have a gauge that tells me the humidity level, lows and highs of all my juice. We gotta keep Vapor Talk Liquid fresh, always. :icecream:

With all the talk about hardware we tend to forgot how important storage and care of E Liquid is. It's a good idea to take an alcohol swab to the bottle cap and bottle as well, especially because your putting this into your lungs.

The juice needs to be kept away for heat and light. The should also all be sealed otherwise they will loose taste and strength.

Sealed as in more than just putting the rubber cap back on? Can they be sealed all in the same zip lock baggie say, or do they need their own little one?

It could just be your tastebuds,can you taste the juice when you just refill a cart?I cannot taste most of the tobacco flavors at all unless I boost the flavor with flavor drops.I vape mostly fruit and really seem to enjoy them more than I thought.Also when you change flavors and sometimes brands the juices don't mix well and the atty needs cleaned to restore the flavor.E-juice is succeptible to oxidation I would at least put the little rubber caps on maybe breath in to the baggy to displace oxygen with carbon dioxide.

It could just be your tastebuds,can you taste the juice when you just refill a cart?I cannot taste most of the tobacco flavors at all unless I boost the flavor with flavor drops.I vape mostly fruit and really seem to enjoy them more than I thought.Also when you change flavors and sometimes brands the juices don't mix well and the atty needs cleaned to restore the flavor.E-juice is succeptible to oxidation I would at least put the little rubber caps on maybe breath in to the baggy to displace oxygen with carbon dioxide.

Yep, I mean a few days after I've filled them and they sit in the tackle box they have no flavor and little smell. Whereas when I just fill them they have both.

Didn't know if was the being unsealed, or having them all in the same box. I'll try putting them all in a big ziplock. Maybe seperate baggies for overwhelming smells like Clove and Amaretto.

Wish I knew a place to get all those little baggies, craft store maybe?

I have to agree with the Vapermudgeon on this one. ( by the way... the vapermudgeon is really a nice guy. :)) All I do is drip now. It seems to work out better for me & I don't get the taste of burning poly when I run low on juice.

I have to agree with the Vapermudgeon on this one. ( by the way... the vapermudgeon is really a nice guy. :)) All I do is drip now. It seems to work out better for me & I don't get the taste of burning poly when I run low on juice.

That's okay at home, when I'm at work or driving, I don't want to look like I'm inhaling something illicit.

Jeff you really need to try the PTB mod.I refill cart filler easy with 6-8 drops and keeps me going for a while.It will hold more(10-12) but if it leaks its bad.Its not polyfill so no burnt poly taste and it flows real well.Refilled the same one today or topped off more than 10 times so far..

Jeff you really need to try the PTB mod.I refill cart filler easy with 6-8 drops and keeps me going for a while.It will hold more(10-12) but if it leaks its bad.Its not polyfill so no burnt poly taste and it flows real well.Refilled the same one today or topped off more than 10 times so far..

I gotta try that one. I'm just too lazy. :D

Yep, I mean a few days after I've filled them and they sit in the tackle box they have no flavor and little smell. Whereas when I just fill them they have both.

Didn't know if was the being unsealed, or having them all in the same box. I'll try putting them all in a big ziplock. Maybe seperate baggies for overwhelming smells like Clove and Amaretto.

Wish I knew a place to get all those little baggies, craft store maybe?

Look for those little zip lock bags that are about the size of a Zippo, after you put one cart in zip the bag almost all the way, roll the bag around the cart to push out air, zip it the rest of the way, and then put a little rubber band around it. That might work.

Look for those little zip lock bags that are about the size of a Zippo, after you put one cart in zip the bag almost all the way, roll the bag around the cart to push out air, zip it the rest of the way, and then put a little rubber band around it. That might work.

I found spiffy little ziplock baggies at the craft store that are like 1" square. Fits a cart in on an angle, and doesn't have much air room left inside. We'll see how that works.

And yeah, I'm using GrimmGreen's shredded PTB mod ;)

SHHHHH ! Man you're ruin'n my rep........ Now I gotta play nice !!! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH !

At the risk of sounding like a "noob" (which I am); what is a PTB mod????

At the risk of sounding like a "noob" (which I am); what is a PTB mod????

Pyramid Tea Bag cut to like a small sticky note size folded and used to hold liquid in a cart for better flow than the poly fill that is in stock carts..

Pyramid Tea Bag cut to like a small sticky note size folded and used to hold liquid in a cart for better flow than the poly fill that is in stock carts..

Would that be a normal Lipton tea bag?? After I made that last post I went to Youtube to see if I could find something on "PTB" and sure enough there were a couple of videos there. As far as I know they were using just regular/normal tea bags. I am not sure what a "pyramid tea bag" is. Also, I'd like to know if you really need that stuffed cartridge? I have mostly done direct dripping on to the atomizer and using an empty cartridge, but maybe I am doing that all wrong and need to use a stuffed cartridge. I'm not sure. Anyone with any advise on this issue would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi jj. If your direct dripping there is no need for the poly. You can direct drip and use the poly filed cart if you want to. I have empty carts with no fill that I use when I direct drip and carts with fill for when I'm on the go. Although lately I've been direct dripping on the go also....... Basically what I'm saying is its up to you. :)

Congrats on 5 days!!!!!!

Edited by jeffb

Just so you know, jj, the pyramid tea bags are different. They are more like a mesh than the regular ones. You can use the regular tea bags, too, but the ptb's are different. I've tried both, but mostly I direct drip. I found the ptb's at Wal-Mart, but they are hard to spot. I almost missed them.

Would that be a normal Lipton tea bag?? After I made that last post I went to Youtube to see if I could find something on "PTB" and sure enough there were a couple of videos there. As far as I know they were using just regular/normal tea bags. I am not sure what a "pyramid tea bag" is. Also, I'd like to know if you really need that stuffed cartridge? I have mostly done direct dripping on to the atomizer and using an empty cartridge, but maybe I am doing that all wrong and need to use a stuffed cartridge. I'm not sure. Anyone with any advise on this issue would be appreciated, thanks!

The regular bags are paper of some kind and are not recomended to use...

PTB'S are nylon mesh and looks like a pyramid comes in a box of 20 single cup size is what I have, made by lipton and box is just smaller than a pop tart box.I almost missed them too.They come in fancy flavors..The PTB does not hold flavor so you can use the tea if you wish and then make 2 carts with the bag after rinsing and drying it.

To use cut seems off ,remove string,remove tea,when you cut all seams you end up with 2 rectangle peices can make 2 carts with 1 PTB.I set it down long left to right and fold top edge all the way down about three times.The fold should a little bigger than the size of the letters in this post. then roll it up.So now you have a thick end that will be the top of cart and insert and cut to lenght(cut the bottom end not trifold end) so its just below cart top or flush.Remove and fill with about 7-10 drop and insert it back in.To refill just put drop in slow dont have to take out and I find 6-8 drops does not over fill it.Just do slowly.

Im no artist but hope this helps LOL...

______________________ this is cart top end

Fold 1 area

Fold 2 area

Fold 3 area

______________________ cut from here to fit

When its in the cart it looks like the coil heater part of a car cig lighter.Mine work great!!!Just dont overfill them they will leak I would stop a 9-10 drops if bone dry.

Edited by SteveD1

I cannot taste most of the tobacco flavors at all unless I boost the flavor with flavor drops.

Flavor drops? Inform me please! Thank you!

I'm also with VM and Jeffb on this one - dripping is the way to go!

That being said, this is a very informative thread -- thanks to everyone for the excellent input. Does the forum have a way to score/recommend threads? This one needs a Gold Star. :)

Hi jj. If your direct dripping there is no need for the poly. You can direct drip and use the poly filed cart if you want to. I have empty carts with no fill that I use when I direct drip and carts with fill for when I'm on the go. Although lately I've been direct dripping on the go also....... Basically what I'm saying is its up to you. :)

Congrats on 5 days!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the PTB info! Main reason I'm asking is not for myself, I'm getting along fine with direct dripping, so far. BUT... since I have been vapeing my hubby and my daughter have started vapeing; and best of all, my Dad has now ordered a 510 for himself!!! My Dad is 81 years old and has smoked cigarettes since he was 9!! I know that the cartridges will be the easiest for him to manage and if I could find a good way for him to restuff his cartridges (or for me to restuff them for him) that might be the way for him to go. He hasn't yet received his package in the mail, so I'll have to wait and see how he likes it but keeping my fingers crossed.