Recapturing Moments

jonnoh

There was a time when I was 16 or 17 when a bunch of us decided to go out on the lake for a Sunday afternoon. We all contributed to bringing stuff for lunch and sneaked a case of Schaefer 12's in a cooler. I still remember the car was my dad's 64 Buick with a 3 on the tree and a V6 engine that sounded like a coke can full of marbles being shaken. We got to the lake and hired a row boat loaded the food and took off for the far regions where nobody went (we had illegal beer after all). We rowed I guess a couple of miles (long skinny lake) actually I rowed. (lazy friends). We got to our destination and unloaded the boat and I of course immediately looked for the cigarettes and found them. But and here's the dramatic moment....The only matches were soaked to the point that all the phosphorus was off so not even a chance of drying them. ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! No one had a lighter or anything. I tried and tried to use my specs to magnify the sun to start a fire but blind as I was, they weren't powerful enough. Anyway I resigned myself to either rowing back or going without cigarettes. Amazingly I decided against rowing 2 more miles back and then 2 miles to return to the camp only having 2 row yet another 2 miles to go home. I guess I would walk a mile for a Camel but not a total of 8. Anyway once I had decided my fate for the afternoon it was surprisingly easy. I actually enjoyed the afternoon without cigarettes. At 16 or 17 I had already been smoking 4 or 5 years so I was definitely hooked. So every time I thought about quitting smoking in the future I tried in my head to recapture that afternoon and it wasn't till this Sunday when I was stuck in a 4 hour long isolation from my vape that I got that feeling again. It was so awesome to be able to stay stuck where I was and really really didn't have cravings for vaping. I know I keep going on and on about that new feeling, but to me it's a very big deal and a real awakening.

Also, I'm trying to increase my posts so I can get to the VIP lounge and can't think of much else to say so I hope y'all aren't totally bored :)

• 1 month later...