New convert here!

aerokinetic

Hey everyone, I'm Aero, a regular cigarette smoker (a pack a day of Marlboro Light Special Blend 100's for ~5 years) who's decided to try and switch to vaping. I ordered a Trinity Rook Premium on eBay for $25, and have plenty of stores nearby that sell e-liquid for relatively cheap, but I'm going to be trying out Zeus Juice pretty soon, as I hear a lot of good things about them. In the three days I've had it, I've had maybe five cigarettes, despite alcohol intake and a house full of smokers. I'm feeling pretty optimistic!

I've been looking into parts, and a couple of vapers I know have recommended a variable voltage battery and the Kanger EVOD 2 tanks, as well as dual coils. Also, on coils, I was wondering what the difference between various ohms are, because I've seen coils that are 1.8ohm and 2.2 ohm.

Welcome to VT! And, congrats on moving away from smoking!

I highly recommend a VV battery, like the Vision Spinner, Spinner2, EVOD Twist, etc. Get at least 1000mAh size, so they'll last all day, and always always always have a back-up handy :) 1300mAh Spinners are a work-horse!

The EVOD2 tanks are really good, also. They are dual-coil, so the coils will cost a bit more than the single-coil ProTank coils, so I'd recommend also looking at Kanger ProTank 2's and ProTank2-mini's as well. They are single-coil tanks (Pyrex, not plastic), and work very well.

Resistance of the coils will do a couple things for you... higher resistance will make your battery last a little longer between charges, and a lower-resistance coil will give you a warmer vape, with a little more vapor production (in most cases). Most people around here prefer the 1.5-1.8 Ohm Kanger coils, but if you're going to use a VV battery, using a 2.0 or higher coil will be just fine... you'll just need to use a little higher voltage, based on your juices. If you go with the dual-coil EVOD2 tanks, I will recommend 1.5 Ohm coils and dialing your VV battery somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6V for starters, based on your juices and personal tastes.

There's a lot of good folks on here, and we're happy to answer any questions and help you along!

Thanks for the helpful and informative reply, Earthling. I'll definitely look into getting at least one new tank and battery this weekend, and will keep your suggestions in mind when ordering (alas, no close vape shops near my location, so I'll have to order online).

In other news, this is the end of my second day without an analog - I'm going to make this permanent. Already gave away half a carton of analogs just to reinforce the point among family. Haven't even had the urge to smoke one, despite living in a house full of heavy smokers. Very excited to enter the world of vaping!