A helpful science experiment

LJTothetop

Im a type one diabetic and also new to vaping.. Recently I purchased my first mod and have been using diffrent flavored Juices everyday.. For those who dont know, Vegetable glycerin is a natural sweetener that can be ingested many different ways including rubbing on the skin, eating, vaping etc.. My point is that I noticed my blood sugar levels being higher while using my vaporizer.. Therefore for the next thirty days I will monitor my blood sugar numbers daily. One day vaping one day without and hopefully figure out if by vaping I am going to have to use more insulin to keep my levels normal... This could be a great experiment that could help other diabetics using their vaporizer...
Any Ideas or comments would be helpfull. I will also be posting updates on the information I learn.
Thanks everybody!

LJ

Edited by jeffb

Interesting... I wouldn't have thought VG would affect blood-sugar levels, especially since the average person vapes only a few milliliters daily, and most juices are only 20-30% VG content (unless you are making an effort to go with higher VG levels). So, factoring a mass-produced 75/25 juice, vaped at 4ml per day... you're getting ONE ml of VG via vaping. One ml of VG is roughly 30 drops? That's not a lot of VG, IMO...

I did a quick scan of a couple of websites, and according to ABC Herbal:

• Glycerine (or glycerol) is a natural component of all fats and oils. When fats are digested in the body, they are broken down into fatty acids and glycerine. Hence, glycerine is a non-toxic, natural food substance. It is also a good solvent of herbal constituents and a preservative. To top it off, glycerine is also sweet tasting but does not cause blood sugar problems.
  • Journey Forever - Glycerin is used as a sweetener in food products because it adds a sugary flavor, but contains no sugar, according to Journey to Forever. If you cannot eat sugar, glycerin may be a good alternative for you, but it is not a calorie-free sweetener.

Take that for what it's worth... I mean it did come from the Internet, and we all know everything on the Internet is 100% accurate and true :D :D

However, the American Diabetes Association also has a positive take on VG...

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/sugar-alcohols.html

Edited by Earthling789

One of the possible pathways for glycerol metabolism is into glucose -- it seems to be a minor one, but it is there. We do get so little of it vaping. How long have you been vaping? Are there any other changes to your diet, like taking on more carbs? The reason I ask is, many of us new Vapers are trying to quit smoking. Analog withdrawal, even getting nicotine from something else, can make us crave carbs. Since you're Type I, I imagine you've had it for awhile and are used to watching your diet, but, gotta ask, anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what you find out. Please keep us posted.

I'm A type 1 diabetic as well, I've read so many of the different studies, asked till I'm blue in the face,

My blood sugar can be.affected.by air, lol.

Watch your numbers close, and adjust.

VG does Not affect.my blood sugar, nor quite a few others I know w D.

The biggest concern is dehydration, we've heard that anyway w D, drink water lots of it.

There is more (IMO) option for dehydration w vaping.

However, my bs have stabilized much better healthier and use less insulin then when I was smoking.

There were some issues at first but I believe that was detox process and not enough water.

9 mos later I'm still vaping and a1c 5.3 [emoji1]

Edited by Mtdobies

I'm A type 1 diabetic as well, I've read so many of the different studies, asked till I'm blue in the face,

My blood sugar can be.affected.by air, lol.

Watch your numbers close, and adjust.

VG does Not affect.my blood sugar, nor quite a few others I know w D.

The biggest concern is dehydration, we've heard that anyway w D, drink water lots of it.

There is more (IMO) option for dehydration w vaping.

However, my bs have stabilized much better healthier and use less insulin then when I was smoking.

There were some issues at first but I believe that was detox process and not enough water.

9 mos later I'm still vaping and a1c 5.3 [emoji1]

5.3 a1c. Nice ☺

I'm type 1 too, been vaping for about 3 months and have found my blood sugars have lowered and I'm using less insulin than before, but I would be interested in the results you have. As you know breathing can make you high and I'm sure that thinking about sweet things can definately raise your sugars, but I really like the way I can vape really sweet tasting ejuice and I don't have to worry about how many carbs are involved.

Happy vaping. :-)