The Bad Feeling I Had Was True

I wasn't sure where to post this - feel free to move it if necessary.

For the past several weeks, I have noticed that one of my cats was not doing well. It all started out with weight loss and some changes in his regular daily routine. Being unemployed, I have had to make some changes in the care of my pets. I was not able to afford the “high end food”, and the really nice self-cleaning litter box broke. I blamed the weight loss on the food and the routine change on the litter box. Please note that this cat mostly stayed outside during the day and preferred to use the “nature litter box” instead of the one in the house. But cats are finicky and really don’t take to change very easily.

As the weeks progressed I noticed that he was not getting better but getting worse. So I knew that the changes I had made were not the problem. Coming from a family of medical people I knew that something was very wrong. Last week I noticed he had shortness of breath and was sleeping more than usual and didn’t want to go outside. I had a feeling that he had cancer. From growing up with lots of pets and having to put them down for several reasons, I have learned that going above and beyond to cure them is not really worth their suffering.

Today I took him to the vet and he confirmed my feeling that my cat has cancer and that it is probably in his lungs. His breathing had become really labored and he was only moving air mostly through one lung. He was so agitated that I decided not put him down. We gave him a cortisone shot to help him feel a bit better so I could take him home to settle down. Tomorrow morning I will take him back and have him put to sleep.

What really breaks my heart is that I smoked for all those years, and I am blaming my self for the possible cause or speed at which he developed the cancer. It just burns me that this could have caused his problem, even though there is no definitive answer to why this has happened.

His name is Scooter and he is 10 years old. Scooter is black with long soft fur and has the sweetest, loving personality. He is the klutziest cat I have ever known. He was not a good hunter; in fact he caught his first bird a few weeks ago. Stealth was not one of his finer qualities. I will miss him.

Thank you for reading my story. I hope that now we have all given up the nasty cigarettes, that none of us will ever have to confront the heart break of possibly being the one that caused harm to our family members and pets.

there is not much anyone can say to make this easier but please know our thoughts are with you!! i lost my Angel a few years back to Feline Calici Virus (FCV) and i feel your sadness. the best (and most difficult) thing i did for her was end her pain and suffering. my Angel and SmokingMan's Sir Thomas will take care of Scooter!! don't you worry!! :)

hang in there!! we are here for you,

Ofortuna, Skruff77 and our little family members Majin and Manson too. (and of course the entire VT family!!)

Edited by Ofortuna

That gets me to thinking about my 2 dogs and I have always had a problem when people would blow cigarette smoke at them. I am so sorry to hear about scooter and my heart felt condolences. If anything happens to my dogs, I ould be davistated and remorsed.

He will be with other kitties and have fun in kittie haven.sad.gif

You must devistated over your loss. I have 3 kitties and I can just imagine how you feel. Know that I will be praying for you and Scoot. Sounds like a wonderful kitty.

So sorry to hear this. i have lost 2 cats in my life, first when i was really young only about 10-12 years old. he was an outdoor cat and well, i guess.. well yea left and never came back one day

my second cat we said we wouldn't let her go outside but she just wouldn't give up, sometimes she would run really fast outside when someone opened the door a crack, she left and never came back, this happened like 3 years ago, i'm 22 now and i actually cried when it happened

i don't want to remind you of what's going on or anything the reason i said all this is because i know how it feels and it breaks my heart

take care

Edited by nemesis

oh wow i knew i forgot to say something i wanted to say, please don't feel bad about the second hand smoke! it was not your intention and not what you wanted, it was not your fault

Thank you all for your wonderful posts! You have made the transition much easier.

I have calmed down a bit about the smoking thing. The type of cancer he had is common in most cats. He was an outdoor boy and who knows what he might have gotten into there. I have also read, and knew about the studies of vaccinations and cancer in animals.