Caused A Ruckus

seaspine

So I pull up at the gas station and take one last puff before I get out of the car.While I'm pumping the gas this guy comes up and asks me about my e-cig.I give him one little demo puff and this old lady starts screaming about blowing up, she runs and gets this attendent and I get a lecture about the combustable nature of gasoline.

I know I Probaly suldn't vape while pumping gas,bescaus it is a heat source and all,But the sight of this little old

blue-haired lady running into the gas station screaming "he's going to blow us up" was pretty comical.

After the lecture the gas station attendent did take and intrest in my 510. I told him to come to this site and check us out.

Eh....I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me wants to be conservative and not do it in public places but the other part of me says why the hell not?! I think we need to get the word out to people about it. I don't think you need to be rude about it but you can still do it in public in a polite way. I vape everywhere I can. Part of me wants to be confronted so I can share what I've found. I guess it's really all about how you carry yourself. Almost like you're an ambassador if you will for the E-Cig community. So represent us proudly!!!

Eh....I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me wants to be conservative and not do it in public places but the other part of me says why the hell not?! I think we need to get the word out to people about it. I don't think you need to be rude about it but you can still do it in public in a polite way. I vape everywhere I can. Part of me wants to be confronted so I can share what I've found. I guess it's really all about how you carry yourself. Almost like you're an ambassador if you will for the E-Cig community. So represent us proudly!!!

I agree with you sarge. I was a considerate smoker and I'm doing the same with e-cigs. If after you explain someone has a problem say "I'm sorry to have bothered you" and move on... I've had more interest than complaints !

Aw c'mon guys, I'm not rude or nasty about it. I haven't had too many people confront me about it. Just one stock boy in Wal-Mart got kind of huffy at first one night but he settled down when he realized it wasn't an analogue. I have already prepared an answer for the snotty ones that want to start ****e about it. I'm just going to tell them it's a Personal Inhaler that deliveres my medication that keeps me from ripping thier heads off!

Aw c'mon guys, I'm not rude or nasty about it. I haven't had too many people confront me about it. Just one stock boy in Wal-Mart got kind of huffy at first one night but he settled down when he realized it wasn't an analogue. I have already prepared an answer for the snotty ones that want to start ****e about it. I'm just going to tell them it's a Personal Inhaler that deliveres my medication that keeps me from ripping thier heads off!

Soooooooo, PLEASE don't forget your "MEDS" !

Is it the eye or the flashing light show on your machine !!

Most definitely the eye!

But seriously, most of the looks and inquiries are out of curiosity and not of an defensive nature. Granted, I don't use one of the analogue look-a-likes. I vape a VP2, the big unit, so that usually raises their interest instead of their hackles.

I know I Probaly suldn't vape while pumping gas,bescaus it is a heat source and all,

You do know the car pulling in to the pump on the other side, is actually burning something and is 1000000X the heat source of an E-cig..

Heck the old lady getting mad was a bigger heat source.

Great story tho ;)

haha right on man. i'm surprised cause i've done the samething at work. i use to get a kick out of blowing vapor all over the place and having people say "holy crap?! what's that?!" so now i just say "oh it's medication" and you'd be surprised how many people go "oh ok; puff away". people are strange sometimes. i tend to think that when i just do it and act like it's no big deal or act like i'm allowed to do it; people just look at me and assume it must be ok for me to do it. it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. thank you military for that lesson.

People worry too much!! I was an OTR Truck driver for 8 months, i cant tell you how many times ive pumped diesel with an analog lit in my mouth LOL! I remember my co driver was trying to eyeball how full the tank was so he went to look in it...well...he didnt have a flashlight to see, so he used his lighter!!! I come waltzing out of the truck stop with a hot dog in each hand and see my best buddy trying to peer into a 300+gallon tank full of fuel with a lighter lit!!! Lets just say those hotdogs hit the ground and i went runnin towards him yelling at the top of my lungs "WHAAT THE F**** ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT!!!" Lol you should have seen his face... :blush:

Needless to say, he wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed. Lol

********LONG STORY BELOW, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK ;) ***********

I had crazy woman syndrome happen on a plane for something even more retarded. Here is this NERD chick with 80's style hair, 80's style glasses, 80's style washed out jeans sitting there reading some NERD book. She was sitting a row behind the next aisle over. Well my flight was delayed for 30mins due to bad weather, so we are all sitting there waiting for the weather to clear up, keep in mind, we are still sitting at the terminal NOT MOVING. So i jump on my phone and call my buddy who was supposed to pick me up in Texas and tell him im going to be about 30-45mins late.

Well, this NERD chick leans up and says "You need to turn off your phone! Your not supposed to have your phone on in an airplane!" I turned around looked at her and smiled and continued finishing my sentence. This NERD had the balls to push the flight attendant button! WTF!!! So here comes the smiley flight attendant..."Yes Ma'am?" NERD says "He is talking on his cell phone!"

Like a freaking 5 year old, NERD chick ratted me out! The smiley flight attendant walks over to me..."Sir can you turn your phone off please?" I said "Can i finish my conversation please!?!"

Oh man i snapped! Here i was at the airport all day, delayed on a flight, and i have some NERD girl thinking the plane is going to blow up because im on my cell phone! I started dang near yelling at this poor flight attendant. "I have not heard the captain say turn off all cellular devices and electronics, and we are sitting at the terminal still not moving!" So like a smarta$$ i turned my head facing NERD chick and said, "The FCC (Federal Communication Commission) prohibits use of personal cell phones while INFLIGHT. ARE WE IN FLIGHT? NO? THEN IM FINISHING MY PHONE CALL." The flight attendant didnt say a word but stood there politely waiting for me to finish my call.

NERD chick was furious!! She just dug her NERD face into her NERD book and started NERD reading. So anyways, i finished my call finally! Told my friend i was going to be late, problem solved, *Click* phone turned off. Flight attendant walked away and said "Thank you sir." I glanced back over at the NERD and gave her the stink eye :mad:.

Later during the flight she told on me yet again! Apparently my headphones where too loud and was being disruptive. The flight attendant walked over and said, "Sir..." I looked at her with a smile, then i looked at the NERD and gave her a wink and calmly said..."I cant hear you." turned them up a little louder, laid back, put my hat over my eyes and had a nice nap all the way to Texas. :dj:

Nice try NERD lady! nerdgirl.jpg

NERD! :gun:

Sinikal, that was funny ! I absolutely HATE people like that. Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. But, I have no earthly love for them. As for the gas pump, hmmmm, Im not so sure it is altogether safe. Gasoline is more likey to react to an electrical charge than a lit cigarette. If Im not mistaken, you can throw a lit cigarette into a can of gas, and it will put out the cigarette. Its the fumes that are the culprit, not the liquid, while pumping gas. If youre using a 510, or anything with a manual batt, the risk for combustion would go way up, I would think. I would rather use caution and not take the chance, rather than have the headlines read " Man with strange apparatus blows up 3 city blocks". Not only will you die , but there goes any chance of labeling e cigs as safe. JMHO

Keenan, you have a good point. I think an analog would burn at a relatively low temperature whereas a spark caused from one of our batteries could possibly ignite the fumes. The scare about cell phones awhile back turned out to be cause by static charges from getting in and out of the car. Reach for the nozzle, little bit of an arc, and boom!

On the other post, isn't deisel fuel only flamable under pressure? As I recall it has a very high flash point therefore it needs to be vaporized and under pressure to ignite. We had this argument with HR when we were smoking by the fuel tank for the generator at work. We won. :thumbsup:

Keenan, you have a good point. I think an analog would burn at a relatively low temperature whereas a spark caused from one of our batteries could possibly ignite the fumes. The scare about cell phones awhile back turned out to be cause by static charges from getting in and out of the car. Reach for the nozzle, little bit of an arc, and boom!

On the other post, isn't deisel fuel only flamable under pressure? As I recall it has a very high flash point therefore it needs to be vaporized and under pressure to ignite. We had this argument with HR when we were smoking by the fuel tank for the generator at work. We won. :thumbsup:

I believe youre right about diesel, I dont think its prone to ignite as quickly as gasoline.

I pumped fuel at a truck stop in Big Springs, Nebraska one summer when I was a kid. I remember this old guy who was a mechanic there show us just how flammable diesel fuel is. He flicked his cigarette butt into a bucket half filled with diesel fuel. The lit butt fell in the bucket and went out. No boom, no nothin'.

I went back to the gas station today,Gave the attendent a card from Vapor king,and the name of this web site. He asked if he could try my 510 and I let him (I keep a blank cart in my car for others to try)Would'nt be suprised if he's here in a day or 2.I never got to tell the old lady it wasent an analog,I think she left to report me to the Police or the fire dept.

Edited by seaspine

People worry too much!! I was an OTR Truck driver for 8 months, i cant tell you how many times ive pumped diesel with an analog lit in my mouth LOL! I remember my co driver was trying to eyeball how full the tank was so he went to look in it...well...he didnt have a flashlight to see, so he used his lighter!!! I come waltzing out of the truck stop with a hot dog in each hand and see my best buddy trying to peer into a 300+gallon tank full of fuel with a lighter lit!!! Lets just say those hotdogs hit the ground and i went runnin towards him yelling at the top of my lungs "WHAAT THE F**** ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT!!!" Lol you should have seen his face... :blush:

Needless to say, he wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed. Lol

********LONG STORY BELOW, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK ;) ***********

I had crazy woman syndrome happen on a plane for something even more retarded. Here is this NERD chick with 80's style hair, 80's style glasses, 80's style washed out jeans sitting there reading some NERD book. She was sitting a row behind the next aisle over. Well my flight was delayed for 30mins due to bad weather, so we are all sitting there waiting for the weather to clear up, keep in mind, we are still sitting at the terminal NOT MOVING. So i jump on my phone and call my buddy who was supposed to pick me up in Texas and tell him im going to be about 30-45mins late.

Well, this NERD chick leans up and says "You need to turn off your phone! Your not supposed to have your phone on in an airplane!" I turned around looked at her and smiled and continued finishing my sentence. This NERD had the balls to push the flight attendant button! WTF!!! So here comes the smiley flight attendant..."Yes Ma'am?" NERD says "He is talking on his cell phone!"

Like a freaking 5 year old, NERD chick ratted me out! The smiley flight attendant walks over to me..."Sir can you turn your phone off please?" I said "Can i finish my conversation please!?!"

Oh man i snapped! Here i was at the airport all day, delayed on a flight, and i have some NERD girl thinking the plane is going to blow up because im on my cell phone! I started dang near yelling at this poor flight attendant. "I have not heard the captain say turn off all cellular devices and electronics, and we are sitting at the terminal still not moving!" So like a smarta$$ i turned my head facing NERD chick and said, "The FCC (Federal Communication Commission) prohibits use of personal cell phones while INFLIGHT. ARE WE IN FLIGHT? NO? THEN IM FINISHING MY PHONE CALL." The flight attendant didnt say a word but stood there politely waiting for me to finish my call.

NERD chick was furious!! She just dug her NERD face into her NERD book and started NERD reading. So anyways, i finished my call finally! Told my friend i was going to be late, problem solved, *Click* phone turned off. Flight attendant walked away and said "Thank you sir." I glanced back over at the NERD and gave her the stink eye :mad:.

Later during the flight she told on me yet again! Apparently my headphones where too loud and was being disruptive. The flight attendant walked over and said, "Sir..." I looked at her with a smile, then i looked at the NERD and gave her a wink and calmly said..."I cant hear you." turned them up a little louder, laid back, put my hat over my eyes and had a nice nap all the way to Texas. :dj:

Nice try NERD lady! nerdgirl.jpg

NERD! :gun:

So, the chick was apparently a....... NERD ! Right ?

Edited by vapemudgeon

I dont think its a spark so much, as static electricity. Thats the problem with cell phones. Also, youre not supposed to fill a gas can until you place it on the ground, as opposed to leaving it in your trunk or truck bed, for the same reason, static electricity.

haha right on man. i'm surprised cause i've done the samething at work. i use to get a kick out of blowing vapor all over the place and having people say "holy crap?! what's that?!" so now i just say "oh it's medication" and you'd be surprised how many people go "oh ok; puff away". people are strange sometimes. i tend to think that when i just do it and act like it's no big deal or act like i'm allowed to do it; people just look at me and assume it must be ok for me to do it. it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. thank you military for that lesson.

Same thing here, we always sit in the smoking section or in the bar at restaurants. I vape away, while in Tennessee last week, I discovered that none of the restaurants have a smoking section and there must be a statewide ban on indoor smoking in public places. I vaped in restaurants and never asked for permission, no one confronted me but I vaped stealthily.

Sinikal, that was funny ! I absolutely HATE people like that. Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. But, I have no earthly love for them. As for the gas pump, hmmmm, Im not so sure it is altogether safe. Gasoline is more likey to react to an electrical charge than a lit cigarette. If Im not mistaken, you can throw a lit cigarette into a can of gas, and it will put out the cigarette. Its the fumes that are the culprit, not the liquid, while pumping gas. If youre using a 510, or anything with a manual batt, the risk for combustion would go way up, I would think. I would rather use caution and not take the chance, rather than have the headlines read " Man with strange apparatus blows up 3 city blocks". Not only will you die , but there goes any chance of labeling e cigs as safe. JMHO

I'm not trying to split hairs here, but...

I have wired several gas stations and I had to learn a few things, I have also installed certain Class 1 Division 1 and 2, um, things (leave it at that), Gasoline stations, pumps and tanks do not explode with the exception of the one in the movies that are packed with explosives! All gasoline stations are fitted with special equipment and apparatus that prevents a massive explosion like you would see in a Burt Reynolds movie. Cars can run over the pumps and drag them across the lot and it still isn't going to go up in a fireball.

Gasoline fumes are dangerous because they are heavier than air and they will collect in low areas, this is also why you have to raise your gas water heater when installing it in a garage or utility room that would also store a gas can. Diesel fumes are not ignitable via spark but the fumes from Diesel rise as they are lighter than air and do not cause a whoosh as the air is displaced in the form of a concussion as with gasoline fumes.