Don’t ban electric cigarettes

Monday, Mar 09, 2009, Page 8

Don’t ban electric cigarettes

Taipei Times - archives

All global smoking bans define cigarettes as items that contain tobacco and about 4,000 chemicals, only one of which is nicotine, and are lit and burned by combustion to produce tobacco smoke. Electronic cigarettes are not tobacco cigarettes by that legal definition (“John Tung Foundation takes aim at e-cigarettes,” March 6, page 4).

With electronic cigarettes, a misnomer product name if ever there was one, there is no tobacco, no lighting, no burning and no 3,999 other chemicals. Categorizing electronic cigarettes to be the same as tobacco cigarettes simply because they both contain nicotine is junk science based solely on emotional association. Banning electronic cigarettes would also mean having to ban nicotine patches and gum too, as well as at least 72 food sources that billions of people depend on.

The source of nicotine for electronic cigarettes could easily be from something other than tobacco. There are 66 other species of plants that contain nicotine, including potatoes and tomatoes. If nicotine is banned, then the whole human race will starve to death. Can anti-smokers really be that emotionally and mentally stupid?

Apparently the answer is yes, they can. Instead of worshiping anti-smokers and giving them money to eradicate nicotine, anti-smokers need a lot of psychological counseling.

STEVE HARTWELL

Toronto, Canada

Damn non-smokers always having to push their holier than thou attitudes on us "evil" people who chose to smoke, get a life and let me do what I want to my own body. Its ridiculous to think that someone would even considering banning Eciggs the whole point of the cigarette ban is that secondhand smoke can be harmful to others this is not the case with Eciggs though.

You know, as unpopular as it is, I am a Vietnam Veteran and I am sick and tired of these #$%$#% telling me what I can and can't do. They can all suck %$#&^%$# instead of being so busy with taking rights away from others. I read an article today about a firefighter supervisor in Oregon who was fired because he didn't speak Spanish so he can't lead his crew. Taking God out of this country as fast as they can.... Now they are continually trying to stop me from smoking. Kiss my grits.... Ain't gonna happen..... It's one thing or another. Freedoms that we fought for these nobodies keep stealing from us.... What the hell is happening to people in this country......... All you guys on this forum I say keep your rights.... They belong to YOU

believe what you want and if you want to smoke or vapor, do it.....

I agree with PoopaC on this one. I post on another poplar e-cig forum and they don't like when I use the word "esmoke" They say I should use the word Vape instead. Now I understand that it really is vapor, but NONE of us would have moved over to the e-cig had they called it Vape. Well perhaps not all of us but many of us.

The thing that caught our attention was that it looked like a smoke and created that smoke we have become so familiar with. I agree people need to get some balls already. Royce and I where talking the other day about the Sin tax. I mean really, why the hell should I pay a sin tax? Who the hell are you to tell me what a sin is? One of the reasons THESE United States separated from the United Kingdom was because of the insane taxation without representation, I'm afraid this is something we are starting to see all too common here in the United States.

Another things I'm tired of hearing; "The Government this and The Government that" we need to convince them bla bla. YOU ARE the government, that's how this country was formed, the more you talk of THEM as a separate entity the more this country will go down the ****** and everything that our soldiers fought for will be for nothing.

"The way people in democracies think of the government as something different from themselves is a real handicap. And, of course, sometimes the government confirms their opinion.

~Lewis Mumford, in Anne Chisholm, Philosophers of the Earth: Conversations with Ecologists, 1972"

r. Freedoms that we fought for these nobodies keep stealing from us.... What the hell is happening to people in this country......... All you guys on this forum I say keep your rights.... They belong to YOU

believe what you want and if you want to smoke or vapor, do it.....

Absolutely, while I am grateful to be an American and to live in this country I cannot believe what I see, I mean this country was founded on the principals of freedom and to get away from an oppressive government. How do these government officials no see that they are slowly but surely taking away these freedoms and becoming more oppressive government its ridiculous we are not the people to mess with just look at our track record ;)

Absolutely, while I am grateful to be an American and to live in this country I cannot believe what I see, I mean this country was founded on the principals of freedom and to get away from an oppressive government. How do these government officials no see that they are slowly but surely taking away these freedoms and becoming more oppressive government its ridiculous we are not the people to mess with just look at our track record ;)

No doubt. Although I most of us are to fat and lazy to get up and complain. <_<

You are correct, Christopher, **** rolls down hill and look who it lands on... These people at the top, politicians, ceo's, people with money running this country don't really care about this country. They can live anywhere in the world they want,what do they care about the USA, because they can afford it. Look at the people and where they travel to and where they have a place to live in other countries. They are sucking this country dry and letting others take away our rights. Look at the economy and who did it to the economy. And look who still has the nuts to demand their bonus. Royce is right, there is a limit to where you can push our people.