Did anyone catch the e-cig story on NPR the other day?

Sweatervest13

An almost 10 minute story on NPR. It seems pretty impartial, giving a balanced view.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/21/239269426/e-cigarettes-a-nearly-2bn-industry-a-regulatory-wild-west

I hope I am not in trouble for posting a link. Mods, feel free to remove it if it is a no no.

The story talks about the dual users, smokers who will vape indoors and smoke everywhere else. IMHO I feel that it will be a low percentage of the population of vapers. For me, I went to vaping to get away from analogs. I liked that I could do both for a couple of days until I felt comfortable moving all the way to vaping. And to tell you the truth, I probably had more analogs then I really wanted to just to finish the pack. I would have one burning in the ashtray while I was taking a toot on my PV, not even thinking about it. I realize that ecigs can not be sold as a smoking cessation product, but I hope that changes in the future. Because for me it was the tool I needed to get me over the hump.

I love the part at the end where the guy says that all of the PV's make you look uncool. That struck a positive cord for me... I'm not doing it to look cool... I'm doing it so I don't smoke!!!! That is the message that should be put out there.

While NPR/PBS tends to be more objective and less hysterical than the rest of the broadcast media this particular report still helps spread false claims and gives the biggest attention to an obvious opponent of e-cigs who merely states biased agenda driven opinion rather than fact while never being directly challenged or refuted.

Personally I had no intention of quitting cigarettes altogether when I started vaping. Vaping was intended to be a substitute while I was at work. Within a week I no longer wanted to smoke cigarettes despite my original intentions and despite the comparatively primitive e-cig tech available at the time. I can think of no example of a person young or old that continues to smoke and vape unless they're new to vaping and still in transition.

Unfortunately, as has become the norm in this country, government agencies will not act with even handed logic and reason when it comes to e-cig regulation. Our government gives every evidence of being corrupt and broken in just about any area they can wriggle their way into. Why should e-cig regulation be any different?

I think in order to be sold as a cessation aid, it would have be classified as a drug delivery system (which there was already a lawsuit over, and the courts ruled it a tobacco product; the patches are a drug delivery system) and they would, I believe have to tested, like, you know, FDA study/approval testing. I'm not positive though.

Same, I bought it to smoke indoors. I figured if i quit great, if i don't i haven't really lost anything. Turns out smoking is nasty nasty and vaping helped me realize that. I didn't even finish my cigs i had on hand (nor did my mom) we still between us have almost a carton in the house sitting around getting staler and staler. i should probably get off my butt and throw them away lol.

An almost 10 minute story on NPR. It seems pretty impartial, giving a balanced view.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/21/239269426/e-cigarettes-a-nearly-2bn-industry-a-regulatory-wild-west

I hope I am not in trouble for posting a link. Mods, feel free to remove it if it is a no no.

The story talks about the dual users, smokers who will vape indoors and smoke everywhere else. IMHO I feel that it will be a low percentage of the population of vapers. For me, I went to vaping to get away from analogs. I liked that I could do both for a couple of days until I felt comfortable moving all the way to vaping. And to tell you the truth, I probably had more analogs then I really wanted to just to finish the pack. I would have one burning in the ashtray while I was taking a toot on my PV, not even thinking about it. I realize that ecigs can not be sold as a smoking cessation product, but I hope that changes in the future. Because for me it was the tool I needed to get me over the hump.

I love the part at the end where the guy says that all of the PV's make you look uncool. That struck a positive cord for me... I'm not doing it to look cool... I'm doing it so I don't smoke!!!! That is the message that should be put out there.

The main ANTZ don't believe in transition periods for eCigs, like they do for their sponsered big Pharma products.

T