Please Help! Vamo V3

I am having a problem with my Vamo V3. I just received it yesterday. I know how to use it correctly. I did hours of research prior to selecting my 1st mod, studying watts vs volts, etc. I am using it in wattage mode with 2.5 Ohm resistant tanks/coils which are reading correctly on the device. However, when I am only vaping at 4 watts, that is only 3.16 volts and on my other battery devices I am able to vape at 4.0 to 4.2 volts which would be around 6.5 watts. However, I have tried 4 different tanks and anything above 4.5-5.0 watts is tasting extremely burnt. I'm disappointed because I so wanted thick clouds of vapor!

Can you help? According to my calculations I should be able to set the device at 5-6.5 watts with no burnt taste. Is it possible my unit is defective?

Im not sure what is going on there. Its possible you have a defective unit. I use 1.8ohm coils in my Davides almost exclusively and vape at 6.5w on my Vamo 3. At 2.5ohms you should be able to vape 7watts + without having any issue. When I use 2.2ohm I am usually at 7w.

Maybe someone more experienced will chime in, but I am vaping Unicorn Blood right now at 1.8ohms @ 6.5w and it is great. My first thought was you have a bad coil, but if you have the same thing happening with all your tanks and fresh coils I have no idea what it could be. At 1.8ohms (Usually my 1.8s read 2.0 so thats what I figured) 6.5w = about 3.7v I believe. You are way below that if I am figuring correctly, the 2.5ohm @ 6.5w would be around 4v.

What kind of tanks are you using?

Thank you for the response. Three evods and one vape only mega bcc. All have fresh coils and I used two of the evods on my ego Twists this morning and everything tasted great right at 4 volts. I'm wondering if the difference of output from the ego vs. the V3 is the factor. I think egos put out at 3.6 volts or so. When I put the fresh 18650 in the V3 it registered 4.1. However, I thought this difference only relates to how much battery life is left.

Edited by Ugalady83

I'm not sure what is going on with your vamo (are you sure you didn't burn the wicks? You know, try to fire the tanks up before the wicks were sufficiently wet, or dry burned them to dry them and accidentally burned them?), but with, well, any other VW device, you should be able to push 2.5 ohms up to at least 8 watts - of course, that's not to say that your juice may not taste burned at those levels, some juices prefer to be vaped cooler - but I have my APV set at a consistent 7 watts and don't taste burned juice on any of my juices. I agree with bcarter, it sounds like you may have a defective unit - either it's reading the resistance wrong, or it's putting out the wrong amount of power.

When you put in the fresh battery, that JUST relates to how much charge is on the battery - not how much it is putting out. It will only put out the voltage required to hit the wattage it is set at. So it sounds as if it's either registering the wattage wrong, therefore putting out the wrong wattage, or just plain putting out the wrong wattage, but still thinking it's putting out the right wattage.

Yea the voltage of the battery charge has 0 to do with the output to your tank, that is simply for battery life.

Another dumb question, are you SURE you have it in watt mode and not volt mode? I know it sounds silly but if you were vaping at 4.5-5v you could definitely get a burned taste. I would make sure that is set correctly.

I have noticed this kind of thing on my Vamo3 as well. My thinking is that the times I'm using say a' HH 357/2.0 ohm' atomizer everything seems just fine pumped up around 10-10.5 watts But when I slap on a 'BCC clearo' that uses the pre-made atomizer heads... I always have to drop it way down.. to around 5-6 watts. I think that it is mainly because of the size/strength of each coil being so different from each of those devices I'm using. I just know that with my clearo types I have to drop the power way down or else it's simply too much for those coils to take and will burn. That make any sense to anyone as a possibility? Simply better/stronger coils can take more power put to them then those smaller ones?

I did let the wicks soak and of course did some dry pulls to prime them. I don't do any dry burning anymore. Had some bad luck with that about 1.5 years ago with that and never could get rid of the burnt taste...with some Screw tanks from Smok (don't use them anymore). I just clean the coils regularly and trash/replace when they start consistently tasting bad. The 4 coils are all new though and again they taste fine on my twists.

I am running in wattage mode. I switched over to voltage last night for some test puffs right at 4 which is my sweet spot most of the time (with the twists) and it was bad, so I switched back to wattage and kept it at 3.5 watts. Can go to 4.5 watts, but flavor starts to mute. Even had my display set to read resistance just to be sure I was getting consistent ohm readings on the tank (not that it should matter in wattage mode).

Thanks for the feedback. :)

DayVape, that sounds probable. All of my tanks are bcc I regularly use. I've never used a carto other than to test juices at my local shop. I do have an old vivi nova mini that I can test to see if it works better than the bcc tanks. I might have some tester cartos I could throw on it too.

Been wondering if I should try one of the glass carto tanks?

I just love clearos because the juice can be changed daily and they in general seem easier to maintain.

You should fancy trying a 'HH357' atty out and do some drippin'! The flavor isn't even close when compared to any BCC device I have. Yes... the tanks are a bit easier maybe to use... but the trade-off isn't worth it to me. I'm more happy with the crazy flavor from a high quality dripping atomizer then the ease of use with a clearo tank I guess. To each their own. But at least if you had a regular 510 atty you could do some testing and see of you have different results with it versus your clearos. Just a thought.

Your Vamo may not be set for RMS mode for voltage modulation ans instead is set for Mean. RMS is a more smooth voltage delivery mode (whether you're using VV or VW doesn't matter). This often confuses folks who get really burnt vapes out of their device.

Clipped from the instructions:

The VAMO can operate either in Voltage Mode or Power Mode. We find that Power Mode is generally easier for users that switch between different cartomizers and atomizers at different resistances as the VAMO will adjust for that resistance and deliver consistent power to the device.
To set the mode, hold the + and the - buttons down simultaneously for about 2 seconds. The display will either say 3.0 v (for voltage) or 3.0 w (for power). If the setting that is displayed, is not the one you want, then hold the two buttons down again and the mode will be changed. You can now use the + and - buttons to adjust the voltage or the power as described above.
The VAMO can determine output voltage and wattage as an Average or as RMS (Root Mean Square). RMS is the actual and true output and is the one to use.
Press and hold the + button for 10 secs. If "no2" is shown then the output is already set to RMS, no further action is required. If no1 is shown, release the button and press again for 10 secs until the display shows no2. This setting should not change after a new battery is inserted but if the vape feels hotter than expected you should re-check this setting.

- See more at: http://www.tropicalvapors.com/VAMO-V2-Variable-Voltage-Variable-Power--Advanced-Personal-Vaporizer_p_105.html#sthash.pOL8O6bg.dpuf

So excited! Came home and put my mini vivi nova on and can vape at 8 watts. Haven't pushed passed that because it taste better at 7. I guess the bcc tanks are a little more sensitive than top coils?

Hopefully this keeps working! Thanks for all the responses!!

I did let the wicks soak and of course did some dry pulls to prime them. I don't do any dry burning anymore. Had some bad luck with that about 1.5 years ago with that and never could get rid of the burnt taste...with some Screw tanks from Smok (don't use them anymore). I just clean the coils regularly and trash/replace when they start consistently tasting bad. The 4 coils are all new though and again they taste fine on my twists.

I am running in wattage mode. I switched over to voltage last night for some test puffs right at 4 which is my sweet spot most of the time (with the twists) and it was bad, so I switched back to wattage and kept it at 3.5 watts. Can go to 4.5 watts, but flavor starts to mute. Even had my display set to read resistance just to be sure I was getting consistent ohm readings on the tank (not that it should matter in wattage mode).

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Got here too late to notice the last reply. I was just going to point at at 4 watts, the flavor would have been muted because it's likely too cool to produce anything. Glad you got your issue dealt with.