Steeping time for new mixes

Ok, so I have just starting mixing.

Started with some small batches.

Noticed the flavors not really coming through after giving them a good shake and such.

Will the flavors improve with steeping? and time?

Fruit and chocolate flavors.

well what percentages are you mixing at? i have tried to let some of them steep and it works a little bit but most of the time i have found that my flavors dont usually come through unless they are potent enough. I like the stronger flavors though.

The first batch I made were a blend of various flavors (4), totatling arond 20%.

The next thing I made, I went all out on flavor, with a total of around 45% flavor. I really like it strong.

Still didn't take like much though.

I have one blend, that I have let sit for a few days, and it does appear to be tasting better.

Usually for the fruits and desert flavors I hear and see recommended percentages for each flavor running from about 5% to 20%. For the tobacco flavors around 1% for M-Type up to around 5%.

I mostly use TFA, but bought some Lorann Naturals (Chocolate, Banana, Strawberry, Caramel).

I have the following TFA flavors:

Chocoloate, Bittersweet Chocolate, Caramel, Hazelnut, Hazelnut Praline, Vanilla Bourbon, Double RY4, Double Chocolate Clear, Cranberry, Juicy Fruit, Peach, Ripe Bananna, and a bunch of others. It's a little frustrating, cuz I am impatient.

Edited by ArnieH

mix the peach and the banana. They make an awesome smoothi type flavor. I went with 35 drop of banana in a 30 ml mix and 25 drops of peach. :)

Sounds good. I'll try it! Thanks.

I like banana and chocolate, wonder how the two would go together?

• 1 month later...

So far what I have figured out(through a lot of experimenting) That more is not always better. The first experiment was Desert Ship at 5% with 65/35 VG/PG with 18mg Nicotine in 3, 5ml bottles. Bottle 1: I tried right away. Not real good(weak). Bottle 2: I used an ultra sonic cleaner for a total of 1 hour. Really good but really strong. Bottle 3: I let it steep for 15 days and it can out tasting and feeling just like the "Ultra Steeping Method". Now I use 3% and its great. All I know is that I am one of those guys that wants to taste a new e juice right now but is does require steeping. Espescialy the tobacco flavors. The ultra sonic cleaner really works. I paid about $25 for a small home type that hold 500ml of water. I do the steeping for 30 mins. The cleaner will warm the water to a good temp in that time. The next day I do the same thing and it seems to be the same taste, smell, and color as the 2 week steeping. Some to the flavors have a recommended 4 week steeping period. For those I just do 30 mins for 4 days and it seems to work for me. But whatever the steeping method, it is important. There is no instruction manual for this so I do all my testing in 3 to 5ml batches.

I'm aware of what it is. But when trying to replicate others recipes it is far easier to use percentages. Some measure by weight, others by drops and then some with syringes. Just makes it easier overall for everyone with a percentage recipe vs a drop.

For those starting out with Diy, grab the calculator E Juice Makes my life much easier. Best part, it's free!

Edited by Proetus

Sounds good. I'll try it! Thanks.

I like banana and chocolate, wonder how the two would go together?

Arnie, I just came across this thread, as I'm not a DIY'er. But if you haven't, definitely look for a chocolate banana mix that you like.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am a retired American living in the Philippines. I have been vaping for almost 2 years. I started mixing e liquid about 6 months ago.I have experimented with flavors, blends, steeping, resistance, wattage, PG/VG percentage, and almost everything else that can effect the vaping flavor/experience for vapors. I have noticed on Youtube and many of the forums that even experienced vapors don't take these many factors into account or explain them well enough for beginners to understand. When is comes to DIY e liquid what you mix can taste good or bad depending on the mod and atty you are using. If you are using a tank system(Vivi Nova) you will get less flavor than if you use a dripper. I mix and sell e liquid where I live commercial vendors are really expensive but, mainly, to give the customer a product that will work the best with the equipment they use. I will test their equipment for atty resistance, voltage drop, battery voltage and repair or recommend changes like atty resistance. I have a questionaire for them to fill out and then that goes to a spread sheet that even includes the steeping time for their flavors in e liquid........Yes steeping is an inportant part of e liquid. Different types and brands have steeping periods. Taboccos seem to have the longest(2 weeks to 1 month) and Sweets seem to do well in 2 to 5 days. I use a Chi Forged dripping attyat 2.2 ohms with a Vamo VV/VW mod in the wattage setting with stacked 2 18350 batteries. Do not stacked batteries in a standard mod!!!!!! I mix my "all day vape" in a 50ml bottle. I mix the flavors and the PG no VG yet and then let that steep for 1 week and about 2 days before I use it I add the VG. It comes out the same as a 3 week steep. Same color, taste, and same vapor. I use a VG/PG 65/35%. I have and use an ultrasonic cleaner that I use for customers orders and it does cut down on the steeping time significantly. I use it 30 min a day for 2 days. For flavors other than Tobacco it works fine. By all means experiment with flavor %'s. But also know that a high % of flavor doesn't always mean more taste. The equipment you use may be the limiting factor.

• 1 month later...

Use percentages when giving recipes! Your drops may be bigger or smaller then my drops!

That is important as obviously drop size varies depending on what it is dropping from. For instance, LorAnn flavoring in the 1 Dram and 15ml bottles is about 0.02ml per drop. Flavorings also vary in concentration by brand so knowing that is essential as well.