The Reptile Room: A Thread for the Reptile Lovers & Herpetoculturists of VaporTalk

Not into Arachnids really, but is that a Bird Eater?
No, just a Mexican Red Knee I've had for a few years now. Had her since she was a baby, and she's now about 6 inches. Though, I do have a 10 inch Brazilian Salmon Pink which is technically considered a bird-eater. u8u4eje2.jpg Just to clarify: Ground dwelling tarantulas generally DO NOT eat birds. It is the tree-dwellers (arboreal tarantulas) that do. Edited by CascadianExotics

• 3 months later...

The only carpet python I've ever dealt with was the one in a shop I worked in as a summer job. She was a moody P.I.T.A.! And, of course, customers ALWAYS wanted to see her...

I LOVE Dumerils. :) Had 3 living in my dining room for a few years. Our biggest (at close to 7ft) was my baby, Bubbles. I sure do miss her.
We also had 2 Bloods in the adjacent tank.

Quite an interesting dining room, wouldn't you say? :P

Also, my brother owned a few Brazilian Rainbows. They quickly became some of my favorites as well. They are so pretty in the light!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like imma have to pull out a few of my beauties, and post more pics.

Those beardies are sweet Happy Vapor!!! And, Bushwick...carpets just require more time spent with them, and solitude. Kind of like a Retic. They get really stressed as display animals, and prefer to deal with one keeper / handler.

Looks like imma have to pull out a few of my beauties, and post more pics.

Those beardies are sweet Happy Vapor!!! And, Bushwick...carpets just require more time spent with them, and solitude. Kind of like a Retic. They get really stressed as display animals, and prefer to deal with one keeper / handler.

thanks can't wait to see more pics

Can't wait till March and all my babies wake it.

I'm always up for more pictures too Steve!!

I'm ready for spring to get here so I can see my 6 box turtles again! I always worry that they won't make it over winter, and we've had an especially hard winter here.

• 2 months later...

Loop

No, but that's how I warm up my rodents for my snakes, lol. Personally, I wouldn't risk feeding raw meat from the butcher or grocery store to a snake, nor would I recommend anyone doing so. First, whole rodents have extra nutrients (fat, calcium, vitamins) that meat may or may not contain. Second, meat may contain certain hormones, treatments, etc. that could potentially harm your pet. Incidentally, its not PETA to blame for the switch to frozen/thawed rodents. It's irresponsible owners leaving rodents in with their snakes, and the inadvertent harm caused to their pets as seen almost daily by many a veterinarian. Most hobbyists these days recognize that live feeding is almost totally unnecessary. It is less cruel for both predator and prey to make the switch to frozen/thawed. And the practice also has the benefit of keeping PETA's collective nose out of our business. There are some specimens, however, that will not take to F/T, even with a proper adjustment period (one of my ball pythons refuses F/T despite two years of trying, but will readily take fresh-kill). In that case, it's perfectly acceptable to feed live, so long as it is done responsibly. Hope this helps, Rix!!!
loop I had a sand boa that would not touch anything that was not alive. No matter what. By the way has anybody ever heard of a frog that eats mice. My brother had one I don't remember the name of it. Maybe called pac man or something. It was cool. Edited by grailhunter78