Any bicyclist here?

So with a small tax return en route from lovely Uncle Sam I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. The last time I rode was close to 10 years ago and almost 80lbs ago. Any suggestions of a decent bike? I'm looking for primarily road riding with the occasional trail when possible. This is just a shot in dark but perhaps one of you have other interests beyond ecigs? :D Thanks in advance.

Any type of mountain bike will do the job. You're better off buying a used bike from someone or maybe getting one for free that someone doesn't want anymore. Usually an old bike only needs some lubrication and some air in the tires and it's good as new. This way you can use your tax return on other things. I have a couple of old bikes and so does my kids and girlfreind. She bought my kids new bikes for Christmas and all the other ones were freebies. Now I got bicycles coming out my ***. We are all going to keep 1 bike each and give the rest away.

As far as what is good for new bikes, I have no idea. I like the old ones myself, that goes for motorcycles too. All of my bikes, motor or not, were made last millennium.

• 2 months later...

Agree with army12b. I'm strictly road but if you're going to trail on the same bike then hybrid is the way to go. Specialized makes quite a few good models of crossover bikes.