Smoketech 18650 Vv Gripper

danpio1217

So i finally decided on my first mod. I've been looking for the best low profile, VV device that houses awesome vape time, and i may have found it in the Smoketech 18650 VV Gripper.

http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/store/58-cov-mods/1365-vv-gripper.html

I got it in the mail earlier today, and so far so good. Hope to post some more in depth thoughts on it after a couple weeks of use, but my initial thoughts on it are that it's everything i was lookiing for:

18650 battery should bring solid vape time. I have yet to swap out my 1st battery

It's smaller than it looked in pictures, it's smaller than my cell phone, could def. fit in a shirt pocket. definitely capabe of being a more stealth device, even with a carto tank on it

VV from 3-6 volts, i've read the 4 amp advertisement is a complete myth, but it should get close to 3 (doubt i'd ever et that high tho)

very easy on the eyes readable screen (unlike the lavatube and it's varieties)

Resistance and battery voltage display

Nice feel to it in the hand and a nice clicky button

Preferred this device to the Ovale V8 which seems to be somewhat similar even tho it's twice the price. I preferred the 18650 battery and i'm not sure if the V8 displays your ohms and voltage.

Now, back to vapin :)

Nice review by Scott, he's pretty much spot on on everything. Pbusardo just reviewed it as well with similar talking points. Might as well post it below in case any are browsing this topic considering picking one up.

Many seem to be complaining about the build quality, but honestly i really don't feel like it's that bad. It's certainly not "good" but it is what it is, a pretty cheap (in quality and in price) VV box mod that houses impressive power for its size. I love the 18650 battery event tho it's so small.

My one complaint thus far, would probably be with the 510 connection. There is no drip well, and it's not recessed so ego style cartos (Mega carto, vision clearos) won't work. I bought a 510-ego adapter, but the dang thing got stuck on my vision clearo prompting me to use needle-nose plyers to screw it off. Once unscrewed, i noticed the thread casing that goes around the connection was warped, more oval than circular. I tried bending it back to shape but it didn't work. Pitched it. I'm perfectly happy just using cartos and carto tanks on it and defaulting to my ego-c twist for the visions, but it would be nice if it had an ego style connection, especially with how popular the visions are right now.

That's good to know about the eGo adapter and the clearomizer thingies not working well together. I like them on my Twists too, so it's no big deal for me, either, but it would be nice if they did fit well without the adapter for sure. I agree.

The Gripper might be great for testing the ohms of my DID or any other rebuildable I'm building on atm. I love the readout screen and the menu. Thanks for sharing Phil's video with us. I respect his honesty and humor.

Not bad for the price, not bad at all. Thanks for your review!!!

Yeah the UI is very nice. The screen is so perfect it really makes me wonder why on earth the lavatube and it's variations have the screens that they have. It's been funny to screw on my different cartos and see "oh, that ones actually 2.2ohms and this one is 1.9. THAT's why i've liked it better at 4volts instead of 3.7"

All in all i'm very satisfied with the purchase, and it really does perform well. I'm a throat hit kinda guy and this device has yet to leave me wanting. I def. recommend picking one up!

Very Nice !!! Might have to put that one on my wish list. Nice Review. I love vaping toys......I can't believe I smoke one brand of cigarettes for 30 years.....smoking was not only bad for my health, it was really boring !!!

Wait. I totally forgot that the Rebuildables won't fit on there lol. It's for long stemmed carto's, not regular attys and rebuildables. Right?

Still no problem. I have tons of xlong cartos that need using up.

Oh sheeze, you're right. doh'. I skimmed over Grimm's review of the regular non-vv gripper and saw the deep well for the XLcarto and ... well, no need to say anymore. I'm so easily confused at times. Too many reviews running through my head at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

i was looking at the gripper and the ovale v8. i went with the ovale. and i have to say im very impressed. like the gripper it is smaller than i thought. and it takes two 18350's. this thing is a power house! it blows my socks off every time i hit it. its built like a rock! i dont know where you were looking at the ovales' but the i paid $4 less for my ovale kit. http://www.smoktek.com/Sigelei-Ovale-V8-Kit--Variable-Voltage-PV--3-6-volt--black-matte_p_351.html i call it my bomb detonator... lol the kit also comes with a 510-ego adapter so it can fit the vision clearo it comes with. i believe they made a new version which i got which has a flushed threading instead of a recessed threading so it can take dct's no problem. i gotta say for $50 this is a win win. i highly recommend checking it out...

• 3 weeks later...

I still love it. Pretty much the same as my initial impressions. Awesome feel in your hand, love how small and compact it is. No issues whatsoever with vape time and power. Been using AW IMR 18650's in it and it gets the job done.

Some issues with the build quality, this isn't a device you'd want to take out and about with you, or on a camping trip of something like that. I took it on a fishing trip and dropped it on concrete and it started to separate at the middle seam, but i just pushed it back together and thankfully it still seems to be working tho. Def. have to be careful with it, it is plastic, and isn't built to take a beating.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the vents on this one, and the size. I might seriously contemplate adding it to my arsenal when I can. Not a bad price!

Oh! Here's a video review by Scott:

I like the vents on this one, and the size. I might seriously contemplate adding it to my arsenal when I can. Not a bad price!

Oh! Here's a video review by Scott:

That is the one I just ordered from Madvapes.

Nice, be careful with it, it won't survive many drops. I used gorilla glue to reseal the vertical seem where the 2 plastic parts started coming apart.

I use it at home just cuz i know i'll drop it again eventually if i take it out and about.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines