Cool Idea For A Vaping Program.

Sinikal

Hey guys, i had an idea for a program. Now im not sure if it would work, but it might help from over vaping and possibly help your e-cigs last longer.

Im not a programmer by any means, but you have your USB chord plugged into your computer. Is there a way, (without putting chips and all that into your e-cig) to have a program that monitors the amount of vapes and ON time of your e-cig? How would something like this work?

I think an app like this would be pretty cool. :rofl:

Yea bro i still thinking about the "Hit counter" mod also. I think what your saying is possible. hell I bet you could get an IPhone app..

Yea there would have to be some external device that measures power output to trigger a counter when you draw from your e-cig. Iphone app would be awesome! LOL :dribble:

There are people working on these kinds of things...

The problem is that you do need a circuit board that you can program with software on the E-cig for it to interface with stuff like your comp or Iphone. :)

One of the original patents actually had all of this stuff you are talking about, I'm guessing that it is way cheaper and easier to make it without that.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be an audio engineer, but ever since the music industry tanked I have gone back to school to be a programmer. The first time I saw a usb pass thru I thought the same thing. A hit counter would be cool, also I envisioned something that would modulate on the screen when you used it, kind of like thos things that pulse with the music, and maybe a power bar.

Unfortunatley you need something on the other end of the USB cable to make all of that work. There would have to be hardware on the passthru or a box that you plugged the passthru into.

• 8 months later...

would you need additional hardware?

don't most motherboards monitor, or have the ability to monitor, current draw on a USB port? Some include overcurrent protection, so I would assume there has to be some kind of monitoring.

the passthrough will draw minimal current when not in use, as soon as you depress the button, current will spike, and that spike could be used to trip the counter.

would you need additional hardware?

don't most motherboards monitor, or have the ability to monitor, current draw on a USB port? Some include overcurrent protection, so I would assume there has to be some kind of monitoring.

the passthrough will draw minimal current when not in use, as soon as you depress the button, current will spike, and that spike could be used to trip the counter.

I was thinking exactly this, but you made it sound more tech-y and eloquent. So I second this post.

• 2 weeks later...

they don't monitor the current draw. the usb is designed to put out a steady current and that is it.

just like the power company would have no idea the power consumption you use with out the jigga-watty thing outside.

the most simplistic way.. every time you push the tac switch it would send a block of data sending a signal that it is on.. sends that data back threw the two wires used for data and into some ultra basic calculation software that figures out time from push being on till no signal.