Is It Ok For Someone To Vape After Having A Heart Attack?

VegasVapor

This story actually upsets me a little. So my coworker's dad had a heart attack the other week and was hospitalized for several days. They performed some type of surgery on him, just not exactly sure what kind. They released him from the hospital earlier this week. My coworker said he's actually recovering pretty quickly and is able to walk now. He was a pack a day smoker, drinker and I don't know what else. Only a few days after the surgery, he starts smoking again!! This really boggles my mind. I'm a smoker (was?) so I know how the addiction goes. I know how bad cravings get...yada yada. But I think if I came close to losing my life that I would know to just quit smoking and not give in to my cravings. I just don't get it.

So my coworker knows I've quit smoking and have taken on vaping. I told her the benefits, how it's healthier than analogs, no smoke, doesn't contain the thousands of chemicals, etc etc. This was when I first started vaping, before my coworker's dad's heart attack. So now after seeing her dad smoke regular cigarettes only days after the surgery, she told me she started doing research on electronic cigarettes in hopes to get him vaping.

My question is, does anyone know if it's ok for someone to vape after having a heart attack? I know it's a lot healthier than analogs and everything, but just exactly how much healthier is it? Would it worsen his condition rather than help it? I would strongly suggest to just lay off everything, but if he really needs his nicotine fix that badly...then maybe he would be better off vaping?

I shouldn't touch this with a ten foot stick legally.

But I say let him try it for a few hours, if it's only nicotine he needs then this is a better delivery system than analogs.

My opinion only, not a doctor or medically certified in any way whatsoever.

Again legally this is hard for me to answer, especially being the site owner. I would advise that he speaks with his doctor first about anything that is stated here BEFORE he vapes. That said, nicotine raises your blood pressure. It's well known. So he really should just drop it altogether, open heart is pretty much a second chance at life and he should treat it as such. However I personally think that vaping would be a much better decision. Present him with the facts and let him decide for himself.

Is vaping really safe? We don't know to be honest and all we can do is look at the facts and try to make a good educated guess. But truth be told it's either 4,000 chemicals or 7-10 chemicals.

Again though I stress that he speaks with his doctor first given the situation.

Well, I too am not a doctor but, here's how I feel. I think that if he is going to continue smoking than you should do everything you can to try and help him switch to e-cigs. I'm sure e-cigs don't help you after a heart attack, lol, but I'm also 100% sure that they are better than an analog. Where are you located and how much/how long have you been trying to get him to switch? I only ask because maybe all of us here on Vapor Talk (who are willing) can contribute to buying him an e-cig and giving him one free of charge. It could save his life and allow him to have more time with his family. What do you guys think, you in or out? If not let me talk to a supplier who I know will be affected by this story and might want to help.

Disclaimer

Sean is in no way a doctor. He has not attended any medical schools and has no experience in the medical feild. Sean cannot be held liable or responsible for any affect(s) or side affect(s) that can be caused by an electronic cigarette or any of his other recommendations. If someone attempts any of these recommendations, they attempt at their own risk and on their own free will.

:lol: Just had to add that in their to avoid anyone from trying to take legal action. :lol:

Thanks for all the input guys. Wow, that would be awesome if we can get him a free e-cig. It would probably help him agree to try it out. You know how strong headed some people can be, if you tell them to do something chances are they won't do it. That is especially the case with smoking. I remember the more my mom told me to quit, the more I'd want to smoke. More of the reverse effect going on there.

Well, I don't know him personally because he's my coworker's dad. We are located in vegas and I'm not even sure if my coworker has tried to get him to switch yet or not. I just know she was doing research on it. I'll talk to her this week and see how he's doing. Pass the information you guys have given. Actually, I'll even send her the link to this thread. I really want to get him living a healthier life.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just wanted to post up a quick update on this topic. So I talked to my coworker about her dad finally. She said her dad went to see his doctor to ask how smoking would affect him and if vaping would be ok. The doctor said that although vaping is the healthier choice, it is still recommended that he just quit everything all together. Nicotine still increases the risk of heart disease so it should just be avoided. So it doesn't look like he's going to be trying vaping, but he did promise his family that he would quit smoking. We'll see I guess.