Battery Storage

Sky

I bought several extra 510 batteries and was wondering where I should store them in order to get the most life out of them (freezer?).

DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER!

You'd want to have them charged to about 40% for long-term storage. Keep them in a cool dry environment. You do not want to store lithium-ion batteries fully charged, as this reduces their capacity.

DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER!

You'd want to have them charged to about 40% for long-term storage. Keep them in a cool dry environment. You do not want to store lithium-ion batteries fully charged, as this reduces their capacity.

Would just the refrigerator be considered a 'cool dry' environment? Or is that still too cold? And you say keep them charged at 40%? Doesn't the battery drain on it's own when not in use?

I know it's not the same, but I had a rechargeable xbox battery that I didn't use for a couple months and it just completely died. It wouldn't even charge anymore and I barely used it.

I think the best way to extend the batteries' lives would be to just rotate them? Then again, I'm not an expert on batteries. I just think this would 'exercise' the battery juice and keep it alive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would just the refrigerator be considered a 'cool dry' environment? Or is that still too cold? And you say keep them charged at 40%? Doesn't the battery drain on it's own when not in use?

I know it's not the same, but I had a rechargeable xbox battery that I didn't use for a couple months and it just completely died. It wouldn't even charge anymore and I barely used it.

I think the best way to extend the batteries' lives would be to just rotate them? Then again, I'm not an expert on batteries. I just think this would 'exercise' the battery juice and keep it alive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, keeping a pack of alkaline batteries in the fridge, no problem, right? Well, e-cig batteries aren't just batteries, there's sensors and microchips in the "battery" housing that can be damaged by the condensation when you take it out of the fridge. I don't know about you but I really wouldn't want to test how hard it is to cause a short with a lithium ion battery and some water! :o

Just keeping e-cig batteries in a drawer in your house is good enough. I wouldn't keep them in my glove compartment in my car for instance, since vehicles tend to go through an extreme in temperatures, and even places like garages do too.

The li-ion batteries normally have an insanely low self-disharge rate. However, depending on the type of automatic sensor an e-cig battery might be on standby, listening and waiting if it's one of the types that use a microphone to sense "inhalation noise". If it was completely powered off, how could it monitor for sound? So, the battery must maintain a "trickle" charge to the circuitry, and eventually drains the battery. In normal use, the battery is prevented from being deeply discharged.When stored for long periods, however, the small current drawn by the protection circuitry may drain the battery below the protection circuit's lower limit, in which case normal chargers are unable to recharge the battery. More sophisticated battery analyzers can recharge deeply discharged cells by slow-charging them. Even with a manual switch (no "stand-by" sensor) on the 510 batteries this issue exists, just wanted to point that out.

Due to the nature of li-ion batteries, it really makes no sense to buy e-cig batteries to stock up, because invariably, you will lose up to 20% battery capacity a year, just sitting there. The reason you want to store li-ion batteries long term at 40% is because it slows the self-discharge rate a lot, it's an industry standard, and that is why most e-cig manufacturers ship their e-cig batts charged at about 40%.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I didn't put them in the freezer!

I bought the extra batteries because I got a great deal on them. Hindsight...maybe that wasn't so smart. :blink: They are 510 manual switches, BTW. So what would be the best thing to do now...rotate them out or keep some of them in a drawer?

Wowzers...hecka lot of information there. Thanks for clearing that up. I figured just keeping batteries in a drawer would be good enough. Just wasn't sure if it would be better in the fridge. I don't store them there by the way, I was just wondering for future reference. I only have 2 batteries, and I rotate those two.

How do you know when a battery is charged at 40% though? Time it or something?

• 3 weeks later...

*scratches head*

Ummmm?

It takes an hour to fully charge a 510 battery from when it switches itself off due to drain. So, 20 minutes is roughly a 40% charge.

As for keeping them in the fridge, I do! At 0oC, Li-ion batteries only lose about 2% of their capacity over the course of a year. Li-ion Batts As long as they are in something that won't attract condensation, they'll be fine. I added one of those silica-gel sachets that you find in shoe boxes to the storage box I kept in the fridge (as additional insurance). Every single battery stored in the fridge has not failed on me yet.

I hope that helps

Cheers

J :)