Ap Article Needs Retraction

LaceyUnderall

This morning I found several articles reporting a serious piece of misinformation:

From: NY county moves to block e-cigarette sales : Health : Community : WSTM NBC3

and

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/economy/ap/53690647.html

"But a recent U.S. Food and Drug Administration test of 19 e-cigarette brands found more than half contained a cancer-causing substance."

My response in the comments which has not been posted as of yet:

From the FDA website: "FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation, Office of Compliance purchased two samples of electronic cigarettes and components from two leading brands. These samples included 18 of the various flavored, nicotine, and no-nicotine cartridges offered for use with these products. These cartridges were obtained in order to test some of the ingredients contained in them and inhaled by users of electronic cigarettes."

19 brands were NOT tested. 2 brands were tested. This is incorrect information you have noted in your article.

I have also determined that the originator of this misinformation is AP and sent the following email to info@ap.org

To whom it may concern:

In the recent AP article "Oregon attorney general, New York county move to block electronic cigarette sales" by William McCall, the statement "But a recent U.S. Food and Drug Administration test of 19 e-cigarette brands found more than half contained a cancer-causing substance" is false.

From the FDA website: "FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation, Office of Compliance purchased two samples of electronic cigarettes and components from two leading brands. These samples included 18 of the various flavored, nicotine, and no-nicotine cartridges offered for use with these products. These cartridges were obtained in order to test some of the ingredients contained in them and inhaled by users of electronic cigarettes."

19 brands were not tested. 2 brands were tested. This is incorrect information you have noted in your article and it needs to be retracted as it is incorrect.

Sincerely,

If anyone else would like to join in on this, please feel free to email AP. I think it is necessary that we stop the impending wildfire as quickly as possible.

I commented on the examiner article and on the first one mentioned. I'll be emailing the AP as well.

EDIT - I clicked the links to see if any of the comments had been approved and saw that Lacey's original comment on the first article linked HAS BEEN REMOVED! No effort was made to change the story either.

Edited by KarateLobster

Well... if the media doesn't want to listen, maybe we can get AP to listen. That's crap if they are not allowing the truth to be noted. Shameful.

Thanks for backing me on this one Karate. I think it is very important this gets stopped ASAP.

I have also sent a email to the AP angry.gif

I hate how they are misleading people by falsely saying 19 when it was 2. Got the actual fda report.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf

Now considering the ban, I was happy to see it only pertained to the sale of e-cigarettes to anybody under 19 and also restricts their use in public places that already bar tobacco products, such as bars and restaurants. Could have been much worse.

I agree 100% with an age limit and don't overly mind being limited to going to the smoking section if it means we won't end up with a total ban.