Fda’s Youtube Channel Released Feature On Ecigs (August 19)

Christopher

My main issue is with the reviewer dude they used at the beginning of the clip "they are completely healthy and 100% healthy". This is the issue the FDA is attacking. This is not an apple, or bran fiber, it's a nicotine delivery system. Nicotine, by virtue, is not healthy.

Not many people realize that nicotine is also sold commercially in the form of a pesticide! And every year, many children go to the emergency room after eating cigarettes or cigarette butts. Sixty milligrams of nicotine (about the amount in three or four cigarettes if all of the nicotine were absorbed) will kill an adult, but consuming only one cigarette's worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill.

Source from HowStuffWorks - http://health.howstuffworks.com/nicotine7.htm

Right there we've shot ourselves in the foot. I can't blame the FDA for WHAT they are doing, or even WHY, it's the HOW that gets to me.

A Simple - "We're not sure how safe these products are for consumers so we want to test them. In the mean time we caution consumers on the use of these nicotine delivery systems but do not feel a ban should be considered until further data is available. We would also like to strongly urge any retailers ensure that these products are not available to persons under the legal cigarette age." Would have worked so much better. Instead, we have this s**t storm.

Edited by KarateLobster

A Simple - "We're not sure how safe these products are for consumers so we want to test them. In the mean time we caution consumers on the use of these nicotine delivery systems but do not feel a ban should be considered until further data is available. We would also like to strongly urge any retailers ensure that these products are not available to persons under the legal cigarette age." Would have worked so much better. Instead, we have this s**t storm.

I'd be happy with that. Seems fair enough. So long as the testing was done without being biased.

So long as the testing was done without being biased.

Therein lies the problem. While science is supposed to be unbiased, people aren't.

Correlating existing test data with new data would probably bring out a better picture of what we are dealing with, somehow I don't see that happening.

What really gets me about this whole situation is that suppliers and manufacturers have approached the FDA on many occasions (as we did the ATF) and were told they either didn't want anything to do with the ecig OR they ignored us.

This could have been handled so differently from the beginning.

I noted this in a post at ECF...

It is kind of like a kid in the sandbox. He is offered a shovel and a bucket. He doesn't want anything to do with it... He would rather dig with his hands. Then, when he sees what the other kid has built, he decides not only does he want the bucket and the shovel, but he wants the bad-*** castle too!

Could you imagine the funds the FDA alone could have put forth towards helping small suppliers and manufacturers, if they had been open to the idea in the first place? Imagine what it is costing them to fight nJoy and SE? Imagine what nJoy and SE could have spent those funds on if the FDA had been a bit more helpful!

Yes... hind sight is 20/20, but the regulatory agency hasn't just been ignored by the suppliers/manufacturers, it is the other way around and it is quite alarming that they are twisting this to make it look as if the manufacturers are shady and trying to slip through the system. They made an amendment to the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act for Dietary Supplements, there is no reason they can't do it for the ecig.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took someone to the hospital for a colonoscopy test. One of the pre-op things they had to do was drink the contents of this gallon jug of Electrolytes. This is done in about a 12 hour time frame of the test. This jug is by prescription only. The very first ingredient listed on the jug was PG. My guess is this person probably consumed more PG in a 12 hour period than we do in a week or month with an e-cig. I thought this was very interesting. I will try and get the amount of PG in that jug and report it back.

Today I took someone to the hospital for a colonoscopy test. One of the pre-op things they had to do was drink the contents of this gallon jug of Electrolytes. This is done in about a 12 hour time frame of the test. This jug is by prescription only. The very first ingredient listed on the jug was PG. My guess is this person probably consumed more PG in a 12 hour period than we do in a week or month with an e-cig. I thought this was very interesting. I will try and get the amount of PG in that jug and report it back.

My bad on this one. Sorry. This is what happens with 2 hours of sleep, no coffee and reading small print.

The actual chemical in the solution is Polyethylene Glycol. This chemical is also used as a basis in pharmaceuticals.

Again, I am really sorry for jumping the gun.