Batteries That Are Different But The Same?

Business as usual, I tried something new and it didn't work.

I got the infamous Big Kazoo. It requires two 14500 batteries. They sell some 14500s with flames on them, but I already have many of the silver protected ones. I assumed that if a website simply states "14500" then it's smooth sailing.

Guess not.

The silver Trustfire protected 14500s are almost impossible to get in. I did finally manage to jam them in, surprise surprise, it didn't work. My next thought was that maybe it was made for unprotected batteries, but that doesn't make sense either. At this point, I either broke it while trying to put in the batteries, or if the batteries are too big, they still don't make a connection.

All the 14500s look the same to me. I have no clue what to do other than going on batteryjunction.com and ordering two of every 14500 that they sell. Which I almost did. As a last resort, I'd order their flashy flame batteries, but I'd prefer not to.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me make this $30 box of wires do something. :wallbash:

Have you contacted the supplier? I'm with you - seems like the batteries would be the same size, and if there were special requirements for a specific 14500, they should say so.

Have you contacted the supplier? I'm with you - seems like the batteries would be the same size, and if there were special requirements for a specific 14500, they should say so.

Not yet, I'm not even sure how to phrase my question, which is why my post was so jumbled. I believe protected batteries are longer than the unprotected ones, but their site specifies nothing other than 14500. I'm thinking that I may need unprotected batteries, but even those come in at least two different types from what I see.

I am just throwing this out there. I don't have the silver ones or the ones with the flames. In my search for batteries, I have noticed that some will have a nipple and some don't. Maybe you need a battery with a positive end that is flat. Just a guess.

I am just throwing this out there. I don't have the silver ones or the ones with the flames. In my search for batteries, I have noticed that some will have a nipple and some don't. Maybe you need a battery with a positive end that is flat. Just a guess.

I was thinking that as well, but then I remembered that Grimm Green said the batteries without tabs won't make a connection. :iiam:

After thinking about it a few minutes, I remember that I made a box mod and had problems getting batteries in it. I have some of the gray Ultrafire 14500s and some blue Trustfire 14500. Both are protected, but the Ultrafires are just a tad longer than the Trustfire.

Madvapes has a pic of them side by side. Is it an illusion, or do the flames look slightly smaller?

http://www.madvapes.com/assets/images/P5120056.JPG

However, according to the descriptions, both batteries are 52.5mm long.

Oooh, nice find. The one with the flames DEFINITELY looks smaller to me; slightly shorter and not as big in diameter. But that's what I'm saying. It seems that they're all considered the same battery when they're not. :on2long:

Oooh, nice find. The one with the flames DEFINITELY looks smaller to me; slightly shorter and not as big in diameter. But that's what I'm saying. It seems that they're all considered the same battery when they're not. :on2long:

Trustfire blue (or with flame) should be exactly the same. It's just a branding issue and I have them both. They are identical and your observations are correct.....they are a tad longer than a regular AA battery due to the protection circuit at the top. There will be a small wire running through the body as well, thus the illusion of bigger around etc.

It's not your battery for the stated problem IMV. It's the box mod itself which sometimes will make things very tight inside. The solution is to shorten the negative spring by clipping off a little towards the larger diameter end of the spring. One of my favorite 14500m devices is a single 3.7 box that I made myself. These boxes are designed for standard AA and you may need to shorten the spring. The protected 14500 is an excellent battery (though a true approx 500mah, not 900) and they will not fit a normal flashlight, mouse, etc.

Trim the coiled brass negative spring down and your golden. :thumbsup:

Edited by maverick