New Carto Tastes Like Plastic

Maybe there not filled enough, if there not fully soaked all the way through they can taste bad, I fill them then let them stand for a few hours then fill again. Also found that some flavours don't soak in as well.

No, definitely had Plenty of liquid. I made a little filler using a needle, sans needle and a piece of tubing, that screws onto the bottom. Then let it sit in a condom for a few minutes, and wipe it clean to keep the liquid out of the cattery.

Sorry to hear your having carto trouble miles.

Could you tell us what cartos your using and what juice your filling them with? I have had similar trouble when using lr cartos and vg juice, its hard to get a good fill with some thick juice and it can also wick poorly.

I don't use all VG in my cartos....it just doesn't soak in as well like mainly PG....the most I use is 20%vg, just my opinion. I also only top fill.... and also let them stand for a bit till it is nice and soaked in. I have had ones that looked wet but then after an hour of letting them sit, they clearly aren't that wet....I take a toothpick and push the filler against the side and there is no liquid squishing out, and there should be. The only time I have had them taste bad is when they aren't wet enough. Using bottom fill I got that all the time....because you are forcing in the liquid but basically it can just run through the filler without actually soaking in. Since I have top filled I haven't gotten a nasty taste, as long as they don't start getting dried out of course. I use them with a drip tip and top off the liquid when I know it is getting drier.

I did clean/boil the first 2, will post when I try one. It'll be a couple of days before I'll need one.

As far at what kind, Boge 510 soft top carto, VT Dulcis 24mg 100% VG juice.

If I'm not mistaken, VT's Dulcis is 100% PG not VG.

Only thing I would try if you have tried everything else... Once it's filled with juice, stick something down through the center and gently wiggle it back and forth and side to side several times. (I have used a large paperclip with one end bent out... and have also used a small nail as well. The nail works better because of it being more rigid.) I do this a lot to kinda "re-align" that tubing/wire that runs down the center and also clear the airway if I've been using it for a while. Opens it right up, and loosens the filler, so it will absorb juice better next time I top it off. If they don't line up properly they won't vape well... will become clogged easily making it harder to draw on... and will end up 'scorching' the juice giving it that awesome crispy/burnt taste we all love! :thumbsup:

Other than that... I think you might just have better luck with the ones you've already used... if they survive the cleaning/boiling that is.

Edited by DAYVAPE

Ok it's bad cartos. I bought 20, the first 5 were/ great, but I got a shipment of 10 new VR flavors and decided to try each on a fresh Carto. Well an entire box tasted like burning metal, I also noticed that the attys got way too hot almost instantly. I don't think the kind of juice had anything to do with it. All the new juices were a mix and are vaping just fine on new cartos.

I emailed VK I think their under warranty. I only ordered a week or so ago. So we will see what happens. sorry for your bad luck.

Oh yeah, I'm using the Boge 510 2.0 OHM cartos.

Edited by Beans

DAYVAPE, that was the first thing I tried. Even squeezed the wire in the middle to try and make sure it wasn't touching the plastic, Nothing worked. It's garbage.

Beans, Do you like the lower resistance. I've been thinking of getting a box next month. I keep my wick wet, so not really worried about it burning out. Also, thinking about a T-Tank from VK. Can't make up my mind....

I can't tell you what I like better. These cartos are the first I've tried, and Yes, I really like the working ones. I'm hoping it was a one time problem.

I haven't tried a box mod yet, but I am looking into them. They sound pretty cool.

The T system I'm on the fence still. Mine work really well, but I lose a lot of flavor using them. I did get a shipment of really good strong flavors from VR so I'll try them on the T. I must say I do like having multiple types of Carto, Tanks, and attys. I'm always switching up my setup. I'm just flighty like that I suppose. But it is nice to have that change once in a while.

might have just been a bad batch of cartos

boge cartos are the best, and their 302 version is also great (works on 510 threads)

check the bottom threads, if it's 510, listed as boge but not silver threads, it is NOT boge

the only ones i have ever had that tasted bad were from bauway. those have gold threads and smell and taste just nasty, very plastic/rubber taste and smell.

now the 302 by boge are actually gold threaded but are very good and is all i plan to use from here out.

my guess, someone ran out of boge cartos and tossed in another set of bauway to complete the order or they some how got mixed up.

might have just been a bad batch of cartos

boge cartos are the best, and their 302 version is also great (works on 510 threads)

check the bottom threads, if it's 510, listed as boge but not silver threads, it is NOT boge

the only ones i have ever had that tasted bad were from bauway. those have gold threads and smell and taste just nasty, very plastic/rubber taste and smell.

now the 302 by boge are actually gold threaded but are very good and is all i plan to use from here out.

my guess, someone ran out of boge cartos and tossed in another set of bauway to complete the order or they some how got mixed up.

I'm pretty sure there Boge, they have the silver fittings. I e mailed them and Rob is sending me a new box first thing monday. So I'm stoked to find their a stand up company. I'll order a box of those 302 to give a try. I also just got 10 more boxes of the 510 since they are on sale.

I figure for the apocalypse,you know or when I get a Mod :rolleyes:

I'm thinkin' you meant to say the 306 carto, right Jolly? They do make a 302 carto... although it won't fit the 510 threads. I ordered some in the regular and LR versions to test drive... lookin' forward to trying them out! I'm still on my Boge 510... 2.0 or 3.0 cartos... and still working just fine for my needs! I'm kinda curious about the warmer vaper, etc. from the 306's since they are a tad smaller. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I'm pretty sure there Boge, they have the silver fittings. I e mailed them and Rob is sending me a new box first thing monday. So I'm stoked to find their a stand up company. I'll order a box of those 302 to give a try. I also just got 10 more boxes of the 510 since they are on sale.

I figure for the apocalypse,you know or when I get a Mod :rolleyes:

OH good, I am so glad they are replacing them for you right away. That is why you need so many back ups....you don't know which of them are bad....so it isn't a bad idea to use them all, then just clean them. Otherwise if you discover in a year from now the stuff is bad you are screwed. I have boiled and soaked some of these cartos more than a dozen times and they are still working JUST fine. On one of those "dr vapor" (or whatever his name is) he says that he has heard of people who have boiled and refilled cartos over 300 times! Plus the boiling is VERY important for the removal of any kind of germs/bacteria. Hot water and rinsing doesn't kill anything and I certainly wouldn't want to be vaping any kind of mold or bacteria, gross. It doesn't take long for mold spores to grow, and bacteria growth, and on a wet material it happens fast. But using my method, I am confident it works fine. I probably do go overboard on the cleaning but I want to MAKE SURE they are clean. I figured I took the most aggressive approach of all the tips on cleaning I found and combined them into one process which SOUNDS far more time consuming and complicated than it is. Sure, you can rinse a weakish flavor out of a carto...especially if you are going to refill with a similar flavor or the same flavor, BUT that will not kill anything that could be in there, and my concern is having them actually BE clean, not just taste and look clean. Plus the boiling is really the only thing that gets all the burnt liquid really out of there....the bubbling water pushes a lot of **** and yuck out....especially when I was first vaping and getting the cartos to that burnt taste frequently. I found out from tearing them apart and doing tons of research on the materials and what their melting/burning temps were that it is ONLY liquid being burnt. The attys and wires don't get anywhere near the temp needed to melt, let alone burn the materials inside the carto. HOWEVER they can burn the liquid when there is not enough in there or too much liquid where it keeps reheating the same stuff over and over. Boiling them totally gets rid of any burnt stuff in there. Sure, when I do 75 at once, I will usually kill one, but big deal. Better to sacrifice ONE to have 74 of them totally clean.

I recall reading someones post quite some time ago about this topic. He stated that it "wasn't even possible for mold/mildew to grow in the presence of PG and/or VG that is also present in the carto at that time." I definitely remember him explaining why... but I can't seem to dig it up right this second though. Hopefully someone will also remember what I'm talking about and chime in here. I just remember it making sense and helping me to not stress about it. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I recall reading someones post quite some time ago about this topic. He stated that it "wasn't even possible for mold/mildew to grow in the presence of PG and/or VG that is also present in the carto at that time." I definitely remember him explaining why... but I can't seem to dig it up right this second though. Hopefully someone will also remember what I'm talking about and chime in here. I just remember it making sense and helping me to not stress about it. :thumbsup:

Is this the topic you were thinking of DAYVAPE? El Duderino has a nice response to this question.

http://www.vaportalk...side-to-e-cigs/

Edited by jeffb