New Invite System! (And Chris Skydiving)

First let's talk about the invite system, please help spread the word about Vapor Talk! Perhaps someone you know is interested about the electronic cigarette or needs help using their new device. Send them our way and we'll help them out, the more people become informed about the ecig the better. Power in numbers!

How to invite:

1. Click the drop down menu in the upper right of the screen

2. Click "Invite Friends"

3. Send an email and invite your friend! Easy!

As always we really appreciate your support. :)

Now the jump out of a plane part...

For those of you who don't know I'm scared...no terrified of heights. BUT as some of the older members know I promised (when the forum first started out) I would jump out of a plane if our member base ever hit 3,000. (Dumb idea) I'm already getting butterfly's just typing this message! So how did it start out? Well actually my wife wanted me to skydive and I told her "not a chance in hell" Of course she kept asking and I told her, "well if my member base hits 3,000 and I'll do it" Of couse I didn't actually think the forum would take off like it has...

(member base is how many people are signed up on the forum, there are currently 929 members)

So our member base has grown pretty quick. To be honest faster than I thought it would, but I'm a man of my word and I still hold true to my promise. IF our member base actually does hit 3,000 I will still parachute from a plane, record it and place it on Youtube. My wife has wanted me to do it forever. so I figure why not bring everyone in on it. Do you guys think it will make my fear worse or better?

So if you wanna see me do it...(shudders)

Help spread the word, use the invite system, comments welcome :)

Click To Invite Someone: http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?app=members&module=invite

Hahahaha! Why are you looking up fail videos?! Not really the best way to pump yourself up lol. Skydiving's not that bad. I went once a few years ago and I was super scared. Got cold feet when I got to the airport, but there was no turning back since you have to pay in advance and no refunds. The scariest part is when they open that door and you see how high up you are. Once you jump out though...wooooooooo! I'd definitely go again. So what's the member base anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old post but if Chris hasn't gone skydiving yet, here's a view from an avid skydiver. I have over 4000 jumps and I'm still alive. No serious accidents. Only actually witnessed 2 people get killed in all the years I've been doing this (started in 1980). Fortunately, I didn't know those fatalities personally.

You will be doing what we call a tandem jump. You will be strapped to a licensed tandem master. A tandem master has to go through a rigorous course and have over 300 jumps before they can obtain their license. They are the cream of the skydiving crop. All tandem parachutes are equiped with an automatic opening device. This device opens the reserve parachute automatically if you are still falling at a preset altitude. As you might know, there are 2 parachutes: a main and a backup called a reserve. Believe me, the tandem master does not want to get hurt any more than you do and will do everything to keep you both safe!

You will ride in a small plane up to 13000 feet. That's the worse part of the skydive because they pack us in like sardines! The tandem master will have you hooked up and move you to the door. You cross your arms and he will count to 3 and you will fall out forward on 3.

Being afraid of heights is not an issue at all. You are so high above the ground that there is no sensation of height and when you exit the plane, because of the forward momentum of the plane, there is no feeling of falling at all. You feel like you just drift away from the plane. Because the ground is so far away, it doesn't appear to be rushing up at you. The feeling is like you are simply floating on air. After you exit the plane, you will feel a calmness like you have never felt before. I have friends who are avid skydivers who are scared to get up on a ladder, so don't worry about the height thing.

Hopefully, you will spring for a video of the event. The camera person (that's what I do) will fly around you, get in your face, take some shots and then back away. The tandem master will signal for you to pull the ripcord but don't worry because he has 2 more available if you fail to pull. Believe me when I say, he will make sure you have an open parachute!

You'll feel a pretty significant tug as the chute slows you from falling and it will be so quiet you won't believe it. You will get the chance to use the toggles to steer the parachute and then land gently on the ground. Skydive over!

There are 2 things that most people find surprising: first, the sky is really bright up that high, second, the sound of the wind as you are in freefall is so loud, you can't even hear the tandem master yelling to you. I think you will have a great time!

Let's hope we can get enough people on this board to give you the chance!

I wouldn't consider this an old post but rather an ongoing post :)

Thanks for the comments, I feel a bit better. But still, jumping out of a plane at 13000 feet is just short of nuts! I figure if I can jump out of a plane I can do just about anything. The thing is although I'm scared of heights I have a sick craving for adrenalin. I rode Goliath at six flags even though at the very tippy top I had tears in my eyes the adrenalin rush was great. Then I headed over to ride the sky shot over in Vegas on top of the stratosphere. The picture that was taking is worth a thousand words by far. It's a funny story actually, when I got off the ride the first thing I did was grab a cigarette (before ecigs where around) and everyone had left the ride. Then I go to see the pictures that where taken and the crew didn't realize anyone from the ride was still there, all I hear is "hey look at this fu**ing guy" followed by laughing. I purchased the picture.

But jumping out of a plane was where I drew the line of course that was until I met my sweet Innocent/crazy wife. she has been indoor skydiving quite a few times and had wanted to jump for a while. I of course told her if the forum got to 3000 members I'd do it, I really didn't think the forum would grow this fast :lol: But if and when I do (I'll keep my promise) I'll be sure to get pics and video and post it on Youtube.

jmhester where are you located?

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, if you're looking for a place to jump in CA, there are quite a few!

California Skydiving Locations

Anaheim California Skydiving

Bakersfield California Skydiving

Berkeley California Skydiving

Burbank California Skydiving

Chula Vista California Skydiving

Concord California Skydiving

Corona California Skydiving

Costa Mesa California Skydiving

Daly City California Skydiving

Downey California Skydiving

El Monte California Skydiving

Elk Grove California Skydiving

Escondido California Skydiving

Fairfield California Skydiving

Fontana California Skydiving

Fremont California Skydiving

Fresno California Skydiving

Fullerton California Skydiving

Garden Grove California Skydiving

Glendale California Skydiving

Hayward California Skydiving

Huntington Beach California Skydiving

Inglewood California Skydiving

Irvine California Skydiving

Lancaster California Skydiving

Long Beach California Skydiving

Los Angeles California Skydiving

Modesto California Skydiving

Moreno Valley California Skydiving

Norwalk California Skydiving

Oakland California Skydiving

Oceanside California Skydiving

Ontario California Skydiving

Orange California Skydiving

Oxnard California Skydiving

Palmdale California Skydiving

Pasadena California Skydiving

Pomona California Skydiving

Rancho Cucamonga California Skydiving

Richmond California Skydiving

Riverside California Skydiving

Roseville California Skydiving

Sacramento California Skydiving

Salinas California Skydiving

San Bernardino California Skydiving

San Buenaventura California Skydiving

San Diego California Skydiving

San Francisco California Skydiving

San Jose California Skydiving

Santa Ana California Skydiving

Santa Clara California Skydiving

Santa Clarita California Skydiving

Santa Rosa California Skydiving

Simi Valley California Skydiving

Stockton California Skydiving

Sunnyvale California Skydiving

Thousand Oaks California Skydiving

Torrance California Skydiving

Vallejo California Skydiving

Victorville California Skydiving

Visalia California Skydiving

West Covina California Skydiving

When I first started, I was afraid of heights as well. You get over it! You should just listen to your wife and go do it anyway. :)