School Lunch From Around The World

American lunch is so terrible. I remember when I first moved to the states from the UK and had lunch for the first time...Horrible. Prison food wasn't even that bad. And they wonder why Americans are fat. Sorry just my little rant :)

http://interestingemailforwards.blogspot.com/2009/05/school-lunch-from-around-world.html

Just notice how almost every single tray from the US had some sort of fried food in it. Everywhere else, some like gourmet lookin cuisine type thing. Damn American schools.

Just notice how almost every single tray from the US had some sort of fried food in it. Everywhere else, some like gourmet lookin cuisine type thing. Damn American schools.

Looked like less than half of them were fried, and at least around here the chicken nuggets would be baked. Heavy carbs tho. Sure doesn't look like what they served me 25+ years ago.

2 sardines, a scary looking soup, and a bowl of rice? Glad I don't live in Japan!

My wife is a high school teacher, and her school (which is pretty large) farms their school lunch program out to a private firm, Sodexho. They serve the most incredible array of junk food imaginable. They even have machines which vend Starbuck's espresso drinks and other such sh*t. They even have a Slushie machine IN THE LUNCHROOM. All part of the contract with the school

As a consequence, the high school kids are totally jacked on sugar and caffeine when they come back from lunch, making them totally unmanageable. Then an hour later they go comatose from the crash, making them totally unreachable.

At least when the government was subsidizing the school lunches, they had to serve something remotely healthy. Now that it's private firms, they serve what the kids want to buy.

There's a good bit on this in Morgan Spurlock's movie, SuperSize Me!.

I agree with Christopher: no wonder so many kids are fat and diabetic and ADHD and you-name-it.

Yea it's really sad. This is such an important time in life. It's also when long term habits are picked up.

I remember when I lived in Scotland the lunch at school was better than the food at home. Plus we where aloud cheesecake for desert once a week which was great. Plus a good 45 minutes AFTER lunch to burn it off outside. Here you have to eat, crap and play in 30 minutes. Then back to class. (It may have changed since I was in school)

You know what's even more amazing to me, is when I went to school here in the states our school did some type of deal with Pepsi, we went from having various vending machines to nothing but Pepsi machines. Inside the classrooms it would have something like "do your best and strive" etc and right next to the remark would be a giant Pepsi logo. This was in every single class, and guess what the kids where drinking in class? Yup... Pepsi.

• 7 years later...