Attomizer Questions And A Passthrough

Synthetic

So I have been happily vaping for about a month now and I am really enjoying it. The gadgetry has caught me a bit and I have been trying to learn some more about a few products that have caught my eye.

My limited understanding of LR attys is that they turn your standard voltage unit into something that hits more like a high voltage unit. Is that a correct assumption? If so, does it burn through juice faster? Do you just get a stronger hit? Is it more vapor, more throat hit or just warmer vapor? What is the actual difference comparing a LR and standard voltage side by side? Is it a correct assumption that the LR would drain your battery quicker?

Onto the mega atomizers.... I have seen this in the VT store but not too much information about what it does. It is bigger, for sure, but what does that actually mean for usage? Does it hold more liquid without leaking (from a dripping prospective?)

Last but not least, a USB passthrough. What voltage do they run at? Is there any other benefit than just having something that hits like a fresh battery consistently?

Sorry for all the questions but I am getting curious about what to try next. I am going to have to work this into my budget since I am buying new things to try every week with this new hobby :P

1. LR vs Standard - The LR has a different resistance in the coil (the portion of the atomizer that actually heats up to produce vapor). This means that the atomizer needs less power from the PV to create more watts of heat. You will get a warmer, thicker, and tastier vapor in most cases. Of course that is a pretty gross generalization. It will depend a lot on the type of device as well as the atomizer and juice. You will typically get more throat hit from this type of setup as well. Keeping in mind the greater amount of heat generated in the vaping process, the less flavor you will get. No matter what the physics say in terms of total watts produced, it is not the same experience as a true higher voltage device, in my opinion. But, it is a great step towards something more.

When using an LR atomizer, do you want to make sure you are not using anything less than an eGo style battery or a mod that runs a Li-Ion battery. The LR's will consume more power from the battery, and can dramatically shorten the life of a Cigarette-style battery. LR's will work, but it will not be a great overall experience.

2. Passthroughs: There are a few different types. One of the newest out is the eGo passthrough. This employs a USB charging circuit in an eGo battery. Meaning, you can use it like a passthrough while it is charging. When done, you can unhook it and vape w/o the USB connection. There are other passthroughs that function this way, sometimes marketed as "sit-and-go". There are also passthroughs that have an inline battery that typically still require you be connected to USB power.

As for voltage, there are only 2 types easily available (to my knowledge): 3.7v and 5v. For the sake of this discussion, I am lumping the eGo in w/ the 3.7v passthrough. Either voltage option will determine the type of atomizer (lr vs standard) that you can use. It is not advised to use a 5v passthrough on your PC for long durations. It has a big power draw, and it not a good idea for long term use. You also will only see about 4.2v of power on average w/ a 5v passthrough on a PC USB port. These 5v passthroughs are better served plugged directly into a wall.

The benefit in a non-detachable passthrough is just having consistent power for vaping wherever you have a USB power source. Otherwise, the passthroughs that employ a battery for later use are great for those on the go with periodic access to a USB power source.

3. eGo Mega Atomizer - These are designed for use w/ the mega cartridges I believe. I am not sure on the resistance rating. I have never used one personally.