My First Box Mod 5V :-)

rcummings5886

So I built my first box mod. Most of my parts including the box, batteries (2 14500 3.7v 900mah), connector, and circuit board were purchased from madvapes and got to me within three days of placing the order :-). The resistors, button, and capacitors were left over in my electronics junk drawer and the switching regulator was a free sample from TI. It can be found here. I just used it for a 5v mod because it was free. I plan to get more to use with a variable voltage design using multiple resistors and a multi-position switch in future designs.

Here are some pics I took at the bar tonight :-p

0105110136.jpg

0105110137.jpg

The only issue I am having with this is I want it to last longer than 5 hours (that's with constant vaping). Is there any batteries I haven't come across yet that last longer and would fit in my mod? Or am I going to have to build a whole new one. My only conclusion so far is to build a whole new one.

Otherwise I love the way this thing vapes. It's even better than my passthru. All questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for viewing,

Ryan

Edited by rcummings5886

So I built my first box mod. Most of my parts including the box, batteries (2 14500 3.7v 900mah), connector, and circuit board were purchased from madvapes and got to me within three days of placing the order :-). The resistors, button, and capacitors were left over in my electronics junk drawer and the switching regulator was a free sample from TI. It can be found here. I just used it for a 5v mod because it was free. I plan to get more to use with a variable voltage design using multiple resistors and a multi-position switch in future designs.

Here are some pics I took at the bar tonight :-p

0105110136.jpg

0105110137.jpg

The only issue I am having with this is I want it to last longer than 5 hours (that's with constant vaping). Is there any batteries I haven't come across yet that last longer and would fit in my mod? Or am I going to have to build a whole new one. My only conclusion so far is to build a whole new one.

Otherwise I love the way this thing vapes. It's even better than my passthru. All questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for viewing,

Ryan

edit: I just looked inside my mod and noticed the positive going to the 510 connector came loose so it turns out my batteries weren't dead. Will update further when I re-solder and recharge.

Nice mod,The only longer lasting batteries would be 14650's or 18650's and I haven't found a box to fit those.You hasta do a flashlite or tube mod.I suppose you could slap another 3XAA box onto the back of what you built and parallel two more 14500's with the ones you have that should double your mAh's.It would also give you a place to store an extra carto/atty or 3ml bottle of liquid with the switch coming out the top of the extra box.

Nice mod,The only longer lasting batteries would be 14650's or 18650's and I haven't found a box to fit those.You hasta do a flashlite or tube mod.I suppose you could slap another 3XAA box onto the back of what you built and parallel two more 14500's with the ones you have that should double your mAh's.It would also give you a place to store an extra carto/atty or 3ml bottle of liquid with the switch coming out the top of the extra box.

Hammond 1591BSBK - a little big, but will hold two 18650s easily.

Hammond 1591B (Amazon - don't remember where I got mine)

post-1693-0-13574900-1294275188_thumb.jp

post-1693-0-13574900-1294275188_thumb.jp

I like this idea! I think I may try it... Thanks for all the replies. After soldering the wire back in place I om on the 10th hr of vaping with normal use or a few puffs every 15 minutes or so. So its lasting quite well now

I like this idea! I think I may try it... Thanks for all the replies. After soldering the wire back in place I om on the 10th hr of vaping with normal use or a few puffs every 15 minutes or so. So its lasting quite well now

Good to hear. Yeah - I was thinking that you must be one heck of a heavy vaper to only get 5 hours. :) But then again, I'm only getting about 5 hours from 750 mah LiFePO4s.

• 2 weeks later...

the way those regulators work is they burn off any extra energy as heat.

very wasteful!

but you should be getting about 1.5 days vape on the dual 14500 batteries.

No they don't. I doubt there is a more efficient regulator available. Heat? Hardly any. These regs use PWM to control the voltage, they aren't burning off anything.

you should be getting about 1.5 days vape on the dual 14500 batteries

These step down Buck switching regulators use batts in series, which ups the volts but not the mAh. And even though they are quite efficient he's working with only with about 600 true mAh (if that) after they get a little mileage on them.

Everyone's vape style/ml consumption varies, but 4 to 6 hours of runtime sounds about right on 14500's in series.

@ rcummings5886

You should do a few voltage checks when you pull your cells for charging. Usually the lead cell in a series pair drains faster. Folks always talk about using them in pairs. Using the same pair but switching their positions should help 'age' the cells equally.

And FWIW in general, TrustFires usually are a better choice than UltraFires.

cool, I wish I was techy like that and had the slightest idea how to make these things on my own. I can't wait to get my jolly mods!!!! Notice I say "my" like they will both be mine, teeheehee, my husband is snagging one of them, LOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...