Dilute Vg With Water For Carto Use?

mrtroy

Greetings All,

Been vaping for about three weeks now and am preferring VG. I am also enjoying the cartos I recently purchased.

Problem - VG is too thick.

Any suggestions?

I have heard you can dilute with distilled water - any tips, cautions, words of wisdom?

Appreciate it!

Some people use distilled water to dilute VG... probably 10-20%. Some also use PGA (everclear). I don't know how well it would dilute it though, but worth a try. I make all my juice 80% PG, 20% VG and that works well in cartos.

The method I use for filling a carto with VG is to drip some in like ya would with a PG. Problem there is that it usually just sits on top. Cap the carto and hold it like ya would a dart with the bottom of the carto as the point of the dart. Now with your arm outstretched swing it around in circles (think of elvis strumming a guitar but faster) The centrifugal force will pull the juice towards the bottom filling the carto. Keep doing this till its full. Hope this helps. Seems to work great for me. Sometimes science can make ya look like an idiot but if it works it works.(BTW also works for getting the ketshup from the bottom of the bottle.Just make sure the lid is on tight. Ya only make that mistake once.)

The method I use for filling a carto with VG is to drip some in like ya would with a PG. Problem there is that it usually just sits on top. Cap the carto and hold it like ya would a dart with the bottom of the carto as the point of the dart. Now with your arm outstretched swing it around in circles (think of elvis strumming a guitar but faster) The centrifugal force will pull the juice towards the bottom filling the carto. Keep doing this till its full. Hope this helps. Seems to work great for me. Sometimes science can make ya look like an idiot but if it works it works.(BTW also works for getting the ketshup from the bottom of the bottle.Just make sure the lid is on tight. Ya only make that mistake once.)

Interesting Caseace. So the VG carto issue is getting the carto filler to absorb the thick VG juice. You have had no issues with vapor production or taste with VG in cartos? IF this is the case I guess I will try the Elvis strum and trust you are not pranking me here:)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Been vaping for about three weeks now and am preferring VG. I am also enjoying the cartos I recently purchased.

Any suggestions?

I have heard you can dilute with distilled water - any tips, cautions, words of wisdom?

Appreciate it!

The 'normal' dilution level for thinning VG is to add 20% of the amount of VG, using either distilled water or PGA. There are strong supporters of both ingredients for various reasons. A lot of the ejuice calculators that are in circulation will actually add this in when you enter VG amounts into the recipes.

Some folks have a sensitivity to PGA, even in small amounts, much the way that some folks have problems with PG, and these folks definitely avoid using PGA to thin.

Others find it a personal decision, and just prefer not to use a 'high octane' alcohol in their ejuice.

Proponents of PGA are quick to point out that PGA increases throat hit, which helps counteract the tendency of VG to do the opposite. And many who use PGA claim that it also helps reduce the possibility of a gunked up atomizer that can sometimes result from vaping juice that has a high VG content.

As in all things related to DIY, ultimately the decision on which to use is yours to make. :thumbup:

As in regards to filling your cartomizers, have you tried or considered using the Taryn spin method for filling? It's pretty darned effective, even if you do sometimes feel a little silly while doing it! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

The 'normal' dilution level for thinning VG is to add 20% of the amount of VG, using either distilled water or PGA.

I wouldn't use PGA but would like to know how much distilled water I have to add. Are you saying 80% VG and 20% water?

eg; for every 100 parts of VG , I add 20 parts of water?

Does it have to be accurate percentages?

Can I use just boiled tank water?

Thanks!

Edited by Sellaman

Doesn't have to be accurate, unless you want to calculate how much the nic content will drop.

Yup, 80%VG/20%VG. You can start with less to find where you like it. Add 1ml, mix it, add another..

Normal water has impurities in it that boiling won't necessarily remove, so we use distilled water to protect the hardware.

If you use cartos you might like to try your juice with more pg. 60pv/40vg is tough (for me) to get soaked into cartos, so I can't even imagine trying to use all vg!

:)

If you use cartos you might like to try your juice with more pg. 60pv/40vg is tough (for me) to get soaked into cartos, so I can't even imagine trying to use all vg!

Yes, I use cartomizers and ordered some flavored organic juces from Vaporite and almost all his juices are 100% VG. Maybe I'll have to dilute his juices down with some PG?

Yes, I use cartomizers and ordered some flavored organic juces from Vaporite and almost all his juices are 100% VG. Maybe I'll have to dilute his juices down with some PG?

Vaperite Organic is pretty thin and will work fine in a carto. I've used it in cartos and in the eGo-T atty and it works great. I don't know what he uses to thin it, but it's not like having 100% VG.

For sure, if it's the thicker VG stuff that hasn't been thinned out at all, thin it out and have a much better vaping experience! I've tried different ratios of PG/VG before in cartos, and it never failed, I always vaped faster than the stuff could soak in! Luckily, I much prefer PG over VG any day of the week, and don't have to worry about that now since I use 100% PG. Also, you will find that PG tends to carry the flavors better than VG for some reason, and also gives a much better 'throat hit' like we're used too. I just don't feel like I'm really getting a nice satisfying 'hit' when there is 50% or more VG in a juice.

By the way, the easiest way I found to fill cartos is to put a 'carto condom' on the threaded end, then drip several drops on to the filler and shake it like you would an old style glass thermometer. Repeat steps until carto is full and the juice doesn't soak in to the filler anymore! thumbsup.gif

Edited by DAYVAPE

Would using 50% distilled water and 50% VG be too much water? That what I found I had to use to make it manageable so that it soaked into the filler of my cartomizer nicely.

What would happen if I added too much water?

What would happen if I added more than 50% water?

Too much water and you'll kill your atomizer. I'd pick up a bottle of food grade pg to cut it with, or just order it mixed. _

Thanks...but I don't use atomizers....I use cartomizers. Would too much water kill my cartomizer?

And I don't want to dilute my 100% unflavored VG with PG because I'm experimenting using VG only to see if VG is better for me.

Edited by Sellaman

100% VG is no good in cartomizers, way too thick... you really need a blend of VG/PG so it will work properly.

Yes, I know 100% VG is way too thick....I tried it....but can I dilute it with water to get a very good vape? Or does the water cause it to work poorly?

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Any suggestions?

Appreciate it!

Troy I might as well throw my two cents in for the little its worth :) . I use a 80% VG to 20% PG ratio and it works very well. Anything higher than an 80% VG based liquid is where you begin to have wicking issues. And as far as filling my cartos I use a syringe but I know that is not an option for many people. Oh ya, no VG or PG is totally 100%. There is as much as .5% of distilled water in what you get from suppliers. And If you do use distilled water, which I would not recommend either, do not go over 5%. Just stick to using PG like it was mentioned above.

What else. Some people put their cartos in a lanyard and spin it as well.

Oh and I see JuiceBlaster has some DIY game. :thumbsup: When your doing DIY you have to consider all the variables, even what the flavoring your using consists of. Flavorings can contain PG, VG, distilled water, ethyl alcohol, PGA and Triecetin (its like glycerin).