I Think I Broke My Ego!

Aww I got here too late.

I was going to suggest buying new attys and removing the wicks (after sparking them just once to be sure they're not DOA).

When I began vaping I experienced the same thing. Vic turned me on to phee's videos. I then removed the wick from one atty and the wick and bridge from another. While I can't foresee ever having a viable reason for removing the bridge I do still always remove the wicks.

Unfortunately, the removal of the wicks on my already-used-nasty-tasting attys did improve flavor, but not for long. What I discovered when I removed the wicks was that they were already charred and what I had done by removing them at that point was break/crackle them. The itsy bitsy teensy weensy bits fell down into the ceramic compartment that houses the coil and despite my best attempts I could not get them out. I still have those attys, though I don't know why because I don't use them. HOWEVER, when I remove the wick from a brand new atty and clean the primer out I am happy as a lark.

If you found charred fibers when you removed your wicks the first time then chances are the wicks in your new attys are charred already as well. You may want to try removing the wick from just one brand new atty (when you next purchase) and see how that works for you. You can gently push the bridge over to help remove the wick only. Make sure you have really good lighting shining down in there and very fine tipped tweezers (I absolutely love the ones Dawn at DIY sent me) and look (REALLY GOOD) for those fine hairs to be certain you have all of them out. A couple of times I did not do this and after a few days ..

.. you got it. I was tasting that taste again.

Edited by noXious